Selling Drums and Drum Equipment

little rock

Reaction score
I see on here and the old Cymbalholics web site that people are always selling their equipment or trading equipment to buy new equipment or upgrade. How do you find people to buy your equipment or to trade with? Do you normally make money, lose money or break even? shipping rates seem to put the price way out of whack unless it is really small items. Cymbals are extremely expensive to ship, I can't even imagine what a whole kit would cost to ship. Help, give me some input here.

Last edited by a moderator:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I live in Pittsburgh. I've bought and sold many times on here, but I generally try to keep sales within driving distance. Over the years I have I have driven to upstate New York, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, South Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois to pick up or hand off gear.

Driving isn't cheap either, but I enjoy meeting people, particularly other drummers. Also, an in person meeting assures that the gear and payment is handed off safely.

I'm as old school as it gets.

Recently I sold an expensive cymbal to a forum member in Texas. We were going to meet in Tennessee, but he couldn't get away. He shipped me a case packed really well with a check inside. I repacked the case in the box with the cymbal inside and shipped it back.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It comes down to the stuff you buy with the expectation you may flip it eventually.

I buy quality pre-owned professional equipment that are name brands, all in excellent condition, usually below market value. I also am active on multiple forums and sites. I have a reputation in the community. I have the means to buy, then sell what I am replacing to fund that new purchase. Example: Bought my Ayotte Kit, then sold the DW to cover it in my bank account. Break even is certainly the goal and I have been more than fortunate to exceed that a majority of the time.

Fortunately I live in a location with a huge population within a 2 hour drive. Thusly, I do not ship.

I just shipped a Ludwig stainless steel kit (22,12,13,16) for a friend (not my sale, just a favor). It cost a bit over $225 from DC to Miami.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
I've never shipped a kit but have shipped plenty of snares and cymbals over the years. It saves a ton of money if you do all of the packing yourself and go to USPS and have them ship the cheapest way, but I know people who even have their own scales and measuring tools to create their own shipping labels which is even cheaper.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are dozens of threads on the topic that can be reasonably found via DFO search.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I've bought and sold dozen's of kits here (and eBay). It's never been a money making situation. Not even break even. And after last year's FedEx issue I had where they destroyed a C&C bass drum and refused the claim I made on it (after three appeals), I lost $1400. I'll probably never sell a nested kit again (that's how I've shipped all my kits with no issues). Road trips on the other hand, I'll do up to 1,000 miles. I lOVE road trips!