Semi-OT: What do you think will happen after social distancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where I live, the populace will be crippled financially for many months (due to mandatory lock downs and closures of clubs, pubs and severe restrictions on restaurants) and unlikely to want to spend much if and when when they get their jobs back. Many venues will go under. Tourism has been halted with a ban on any non-locals entering the country and no-one knows how long that will last. The effect on hotels where many gigs were once common will be grim. All this will seriously affect gigs for some time to come.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I guess not, anybody got a suggestion? It was sent to me via a "Vimeo" address.
Just click on the embedded message that displays and it will open the video in a new browser tab or window.
vimeo.jpg

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
As far as social changes... I'd sooner shake the hands of all 150 people I come in contact than touch another touch screen touched by thousands a day

You know, if we only had one person who's job was to touch the cash register, then only four to six people a day would have to touch it, and they can wipe between shift changes

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do think restaurants will boom, but I also think people will be a bit paranoid about being close to strangers for some time.

I think handshakes will not be looked at the same way, maybe never again.
+1
I can’t agree more with you!

I think big changes are coming, not in just the way people socialize but in every aspect of life you can think of.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After social distancing we risk saying " hey buddy! Don't touch my drums!' a lot less often. PS: be safe folks & hang in there!

MntnMan62

Reaction score
People will get used to not being around other people. When the virus disappears, many people will realize that they can't stand being around all those people and social distancing will become a permanent fixture of society. I have a saying, "I Hate People". And so it was written, on whatever it is that they write on up there.......

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m a bit of an ambivert, meaning I’m ok with solitude and social functions, so my personal Tao remains unchanged.

I’ve noticed over years of playing out that the people who come and enjoy live music played by my bands are hardcore extroverts. Social isolation doesn’t work well for them.

When this subsides, they will fill bars and clubs with an enthusiasm as if it were the end of Prohibition.

Anyone over 35 will want live music, because for a while it was gone and they were afraid they might lose it forever.

They’ll be back, my friends. And they will want your music, and they will be thirsty.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
If this is short-lived, we will get back to our usual interactions quickly.

If it lasts a long time,

technology will be used to both play in bands and see bands from a distance.

non-contact forms of payment (online/Applepay) will be the norm. This will include the virtual tip jar.

people will stand and move further away from others whenever possible.

hugging will be a misdemeanor.

something like a fanny pack will become a fashion accessory to carry hand sanitizer.

voting will be carried out securely on-line.

the current levels of crime will decrease as people avoid outside activities; domestic violence will increase.

online purchases and delivery will replace brick-and-mortarstores almost completely.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Guitar buddy of mine always has hand sanitizer (Pre-Covid) I think I'll be like him for now on. Thinking of the number of things we touch daily that others have to touch (no joke) I'll be washing my hands much more and will try to remember not to be touching my face when out at gigs since that's when I'm mostly around strangers and shaking hands. As far as bounce back the clubs in Austin are chomping at the bit to reopen. I played my last gig on March 8th and the usual club crowd of 350 was already down to about 75. I think it will start slow but will ramp up, just don't know when that will start. Right now they think by May stuff will be back open but I'm not convinced yet. HANG IN THERE EVERYONE AND STAY WELL!

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After Social Distancing: Social Distortion?

We play that song. It's always a big hit.

Live music was already on a ventilator before this happened. I think there will always be someone making a killing. But I think this is going to slash the ranks of professional musicians everywhere but at the tippy top.
These comments always amuse me. I think this is more based on where you live. Live music around these parts is alive and well. In fact, we get more people coming in asking why we don't have more live music on Saturday nights at the brewery I work at.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
people will stand and move further away from others whenever possible.

hugging will be a misdemeanor.

Handshakes will be a thing of the past. I actually just read that on a Yahoo story earlier today.

So....

This leads us to a new form of greeting one another:

1585321793415.png

Seriously. :(

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Mysophobia will become the new “normal.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts