Semi-OT: What do you think will happen after social distancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think what will happen after this pandemic is all over with is we will eventually forget about it. People will develop "immunities" to it like a lot of other viruses AND we will have developed a vaccine for it like we have for a lot of other viruses.

Peoples lives will eventually return to normal. And, yes, we will shake hands and stand right next the guy in front of us in line.

Added: I'm sure people that survived other major pandemics thought the same thing. The Bubonic Plague comes to mind. But, eventually, life returned to normal.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
A soldier's duty is to defend those who are unable to do so themselves , and in the solitude of that responsibility will be found the courage to defeat loneliness .
Wow ... where did this come from ? Excuse my late night ramblings .

OK , brand new day .

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think what will happen after this pandemic is all over with is we will eventually forget about it. People will develop "an immunity" to it like a lot of other viruses AND we will have developed a vaccine for it like we have for a lot of other viruses.

Peoples lives will eventually return to normal. And, yes, we will shake hands and right next the guy in front of us in line.
Not quite. This has hurt (and will continue to hurt) everyone financially (some more than others) and recovery will be steady, but slow. I don't think this one will leave anyone's memory very soon.

As for live music, that was already dying a slow death. There may be pent up demand to socialize, but the money isn't going to be there for quite a while. Getting back to anything resembling "normal" will take time.

My guess (based on nothing but hunch) is that businesses will begin operating bit by bit starting in July, and we'll be back to where we were pre-pandemic this time next year.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I don't think we'll be back to our pre-pandemic economy in a year. With a projected unemployment of more than 30% and a net-negative GDP it looks grim. Add to that a potential explosion of mortgage defaults and declining home values, along with tourism and sales tax revenue, and pretty soon states are going to find it difficult to balance budgets leading to all sorts of bad since they can't run deficits. There's only so much left in the Fed's bag o tricks to service a teetering debt economy.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think we'll be back to our pre-pandemic economy in a year. With a projected unemployment of more than 30% and a net-negative GDP it looks grim. Add to that a potential explosion of mortgage defaults and declining home values, along with tourism and sales tax revenue, and pretty soon states are going to find it difficult to balance budgets leading to all sorts of bad since they can't run deficits. There's only so much left in the Fed's bag o tricks to service a teetering debt economy.

I agree , it’s going to be a new world .

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Economically, this will take A WHILE to recover from. This stimulus bill worth 2-3 trillion or whatever--I hope it helps. BUT, who's going to pay that back. . .TAXPAYERS.

Things may be "normal" for some in July, but no way the entire country is passed the virus in 4 months time.

I am one of those people with a messed up immune system. I was being EXTRA clean already. Sanitizing everywhere I go.

There will definitely be a necessary vaccine eventually, but about a week ago, I heard the Surgeon General say it was still 12-18 months away.

We have a lot of work to do. A long way to go.

As far as live music. . . . . .gonna be a while.

kanefsky

Reaction score
I can't imagine things being normal until the large majority of people have either had the virus or been vaccinated, which is probably more than a year away. Presumably we'll try to restart the economy before that, but it will have to be done very carefully and people who haven't contracted the virus yet will have to be very wary so there will probably still be a lot of rules in place (e.g. workplace density restrictions, wearing masks in public, hand sanitizer in all public places, temperature checks before entering high-density areas, etc.)

Reaction score
Disclaimer...This post is not for perpetually happy people who ignore the current grim surroundings..

Unfortunately I think there will be lots of hostility..Lots of calling out of neighbors,problems with co workers and other similar scenarios...People who were civil to each other will now be nasty, over hear say and rumours or just not agreeing with procedures etc..
Fighting over things that are minuscule,not worthy of retaliation. And of coarse there will be the contrast with positive outcomes. Like the planet getting a moment to clean the atmosphere(awesome!!!!) and like minded stories.
I hope I'm wrong,but think its gonna get much worse for the u.s. and parts of europe. Maybe Canada too,where I am from.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The reality of the bar and live music scene to me just seems like will be a long time from now before it will be safe. People dancing and drinking in less than sanitary areas with lowered inhibitions from drinking just seems to be a bad idea....I sure miss it all though

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder about crowds at sporting events. Town festivals. Going to the boardwalk. Carnivals...
Basically this spring and very possibly, summer, are cancelled.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder about crowds at sporting events. Town festivals. Going to the boardwalk. Carnivals...
Basically this spring and very possibly, summer, are cancelled.
We were going to San Diego in June. The beach the zoo...the food the Brew all cancelled

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 2 bands I'm in on hiatus, and all the open jams are off. I need to play with other Musicians.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
In the decades after the virus became more virulent, spreading around the globe like a malicious wildfire, burning humanity to ashes to be blown away by the rising winds of epic change, civilization will stagnate and eventually wither, driving the few surviving bipeds back to the protection of the dark caves, and dolphins will thrive in the fertile waters of the planet, quickly becoming the planet’s predominant species. When the continents sink slowly beneath the waves, occasionally discs of bronze will drift lazily into the depths, bearing finely incised inscriptions of Zildji, ospher, Sabia, and iste.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
In the decades after the virus became more virulent, spreading around the globe like a malicious wildfire, burning humanity to ashes to be blown away by the rising winds of epic change, civilization will stagnate and eventually wither, driving the few surviving bipeds back to the protection of the dark caves, and dolphins will thrive in the fertile waters of the planet, quickly becoming the planet’s predominant species. When the continents sink slowly beneath the waves, occasionally discs of bronze will drift lazily into the depths, bearing finely incised inscriptions of Zildji, ospher, Sabia, and iste.
...and Keith Richards will be 107

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I think what will happen after this pandemic is all over with is we will eventually forget about it. People will develop "immunities" to it like a lot of other viruses AND we will have developed a vaccine for it like we have for a lot of other viruses.

Peoples lives will eventually return to normal. And, yes, we will shake hands and stand right next the guy in front of us in line.

Added: I'm sure people that survived other major pandemics thought the same thing. The Bubonic Plague comes to mind. But, eventually, life returned to normal.
It would be great if what you said turns out to be true. Unfortunately I read an article by a top epidemiologist who basically explained exactly why this virus is so much more virulent and deadly than the flu. He said it all boils down to the fact that this virus came from animals and jumped to humans. In order for it to have been able to do that it needed to mutate. In addition, he said that it is proving deadly because being an animal virus, our immune systems cannot develop immunity like we do with other human borne diseases. I hope he's not correct but this is his area of expertise. And it explains why we are all sitting here at home hoping the dang thing would just go away. I also wish I could link a copy of the article but I just don't remember where I saw it. If I find it, I'll provide the link.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would be great if what you said turns out to be true. Unfortunately I read an article by a top epidemiologist who basically explained exactly why this virus is so much more virulent and deadly than the flu. He said it all boils down to the fact that this virus came from animals and jumped to humans. In order for it to have been able to do that it needed to mutate. In addition, he said that it is proving deadly because being an animal virus, our immune systems cannot develop immunity like we do with other human borne diseases. I hope he's not correct but this is his area of expertise. And it explains why we are all sitting here at home hoping the dang thing would just go away. I also wish I could link a copy of the article but I just don't remember where I saw it. If I find it, I'll provide the link.
Avian and swine influenza, common flus, come from animals too. This one is special as a 'zoonotic' inlfuenza.
I think there will be way more working from home for those who can and are allowed, and I think entertainment culture will slowly come back, but with lots of hand-washing and wariness of surroundings in the next years. Cruiseship industry...may have sailed. Its not very enviro friendly anyaway.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think we'll lean toward domestically manufactured goods and borders will be protected more vigorously .

Person to person ? Depends on the circumstance . The touchy feely movement will have to re invent itself and yard sales may become a historical curiosity .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts