Semi-OT: What do you think will happen after social distancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Your " many cases" is in my opinion a drop in the bucket. If it continues like this, there will be a massive about of suffering, bankrupcy, homelesness, and hunger. For starters. Nobody wants that to happen, obviously. But when do we resume trying to be "normal" ?
If it continues like this the stuff you say will happen will be almost identical to the depression of 1929 ... the world survived that. We will survive this. As for trying to be normal again - the definition of normal in the aftermath of this is going to be vastly different from "normal" before this pandemic hit. Things are not going to be remotely the same. That may be a good thing or a bad thing.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
As harbingers go, the pandemic is a doozy at laying bare the scope of how neglected our social support and emergency systems are. As mentioned, when this clears mother nature is still on deck ... and she's got hugely doughnuts on that bat.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Improvise, adapt and overcome. We will redefine our way of life no matter if this pandemic lasts one more week or years. Not knowing the future scares the hell out of a lot of people. I'm cautious yet very optimistic.
Coy in Idaho

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
After a while it will all be forgotten. Life will return to normal.
Sure will. Right back to those 'once in a 100 years' storms, floods, hurricanes and cyclones. The south had a preview yesterday.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Absolutely. Normal is a new thing because normal is now always new. Which, when you think about it, isn't really normal at all. But that's what normal is now. It's the new normal. Covid-19 will be normalized by the Fall when the next round occurs. It almost feels normal now, actually. Walking around with a mask felt weird the first few times, but it's normal now. I just can't wait for what's normal next, can you?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Absolutely. Normal is a new thing because normal is now always new. Which, when you think about it, isn't really normal at all. But that's what normal is now. It's the new normal. Covid-19 will be normalized by the Fall when the next round occurs. It almost feels normal now, actually. Walking around with a mask felt weird the first few times, but it's normal now. I just can't wait for what's normal next, can you?
Hahaha....you're so clever. We'll just have to wait to see who's right.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
After a while it will all be forgotten. Life will return to normal.
Absolutely agree.

The wife and I were just discussing this ...
The biggest takeaway ...
You can readily identify future casualties of fear from those that will stand and enjoy the days to come.
My guess ... this is an exercise in weeding out the weak for those of us that are paying attention.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I just came across this and if you are interested in the original post, then this will probably pique your interest:
I didn’t see that you had already posted this, so I deleted my re-posting. I found the article interesting and worthy of discussion, although it apparently got one member, whose credentials are obviously more valid than the article’s contributor’s, in a real tizzy. Let’s hope experts are wrong - the virus will be short-lived and our society will quickly return to what we used to consider normal. Maybe it’s useless to try to discuss issues more involved than traditional vs. matched grip, or the best drummer EVER here. I thought not.

Last edited:

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I didn’t see that you had already posted this, so I deleted my re-posting. I found the article interesting and worthy of discussion, although it apparently got one member, whose credentials are obviously more valid than the article’s contributor’s, in a real tizzy. Let’s hope experts are wrong - the virus will be short-lived and our society will quickly return to what me used to consider normal. Maybe it’s useless to try to discuss issues more involved than traditional vs. matched grip, or the best drummer EVER here. I thought not.
It is a bit of a pickle, that's for sure. I think. Well, maybe I don't. But hypothetically, if I could think, I'd look to my old school learnin' rather than my college days, and say there's a barely functioning governor on some folks' hair trigger that they like to tell me is from contentment. For me that usually winds up as amusement. So it all sort of cancels out I suppose.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Voltaire said that common sense is not common , but I believe it will stand a better chance after these troubles are over because we will share a common past .

Globalist doctrine , I predict , will be re assessed with a healthier skepticism .

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Morgan Stanley doesn't see anything business as usual until at least Q2, 2021, with a series of Corona 'rolling lockdowns' until then, and that's if a vaccine is developed and something resembling a worldwide delivery system comes to pass. This last bit doesn't inspire much confidence given our expertise in masks and field testing.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm leaving off 1918 for obvious technological reasons.

SARS - Global cases - a bit over 8000
Deaths - 774
H1N1 - Global cases - about 24% of the entire global population, over 60 million just in the US
Deaths - 284,000
Ebola - Global cases - over 28,000
Deaths - over 11,000

Novel Coronavirus - Global cases - just under 2 million (numbers still being fleshed out)
Deaths - just over 100,000 (numbers still being fleshed out)

This country did not see the total issolatin and shutdown with any of the other virus introductions in history.

The H1N1 first appeared in January ... and was all but ignored by our country until it made it's way from Mexico into the US. That was April ... the same month this country began to work on a vaccine. That delay facilitated over 60 million US citizens to become infected.
And yet ... that was not the top story of the day on every network.

Now, let's take a look at another set of numbers ...

Seasonal Flu - Global cases PER YEAR - 1 billion per year
Deaths PER YEAR - 300,000 - 600,000 per year

With the current thought process being issoltation ... how do we deal with the Seasonal Flu in the future???
The Global cases AND the Death numbers are MUCH greater than the Novel Coronavirus ... therefore logic dictates we must take it MORE seriously ... more deaths ... year after year.

So, do we just shut down the world???
Do we do away with our way of life???
Do we continue to hoard toilet paper and hand gel and play in our basements???

Good grief ...

If you disagree ... point to the fact that is mistated. It ain't opinion or political. It's just quoted stats and facts ... with a bit of common sense at the end.

As a spry little redhead once sang ... "the sun'll come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun"

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I'm leaving off 1918 for obvious technological reasons.

SARS - Global cases - a bit over 8000
Deaths - 774
H1N1 - Global cases - about 24% of the entire global population, over 60 million just in the US
Deaths - 284,000
Ebola - Global cases - over 28,000
Deaths - over 11,000

Novel Coronavirus - Global cases - just under 2 million (numbers still being fleshed out)
Deaths - just over 100,000 (numbers still being fleshed out)

This country did not see the total issolatin and shutdown with any of the other virus introductions in history.

The H1N1 first appeared in January ... and was all but ignored by our country until it made it's way from Mexico into the US. That was April ... the same month this country began to work on a vaccine. That delay facilitated over 60 million US citizens to become infected.
And yet ... that was not the top story of the day on every network.

Now, let's take a look at another set of numbers ...

Seasonal Flu - Global cases PER YEAR - 1 billion per year
Deaths PER YEAR - 300,000 - 600,000 per year

With the current thought process being issoltation ... how do we deal with the Seasonal Flu in the future???
The Global cases AND the Death numbers are MUCH greater than the Novel Coronavirus ... therefore logic dictates we must take it MORE seriously ... more deaths ... year after year.

So, do we just shut down the world???
Do we do away with our way of life???
Do we continue to hoard toilet paper and hand gel and play in our basements???

Good grief ...

If you disagree ... point to the fact that is mistated. It ain't opinion or political. It's just quoted stats and facts ... with a bit of common sense at the end.

As a spry little redhead once sang ... "the sun'll come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun"

You read pretty much this ^^ over and over on social media. It's not difficult to ascertain the origin of this 'factsheet' and therefore the primary source of promulgation. But that's always the way it is and so it's not terribly interesting. The problem with it is that it ignores important facts and never contains a plausible thesis or summary statement.

First off, this is a 'novel' virus and so there is no immunity. It's also highly contagious, with an RO in scientific studies as high as 5+, a value far more contagious than common influenza. Covid-19 also has a lengthy incubation period where totally asymptomatic carriers are infectious. Lastly, the mortality rate is currently at 3.4% -- common influenza is well under 1%. This is why countries have shut down to carry out social distancing so that healthcare facilities aren't overwhelmed, which they currently are. And this isn't just for Covid patients, but also the usual flow of people requiring care.

But let's wipe all of these concerns and all of the science. Pay no attention to it and let's take the pedestrian hyperbole I've quoted as gospel. What's the end game? What's the purpose? Who benefits - how and why? Governments? Deep States? Who? I've yet to read anything approaching a rational answer / explanation to / for these questions.

More

Status
Not open for further replies.