Serial Number Ludwig Super Sensitive Hammered Bronze 14x5 Snare Identification

Redwaggon

Reaction score
Hello! I am trying to find what decade my new snare is from out of curiosity. Could anyone provide any assistance?

Thanks!

Attachments

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking mid-80’s due to the seven digit s/n. I sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometime between '85 and now!
I don't think there's a comprehensive guide on serial numbers w Monroe badge.
maybe a few more pics would narrow it down, interior shot, exterior hardware could tell a story

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 2002 Supra has serial # 3383936 so I’m guessing yours is within a few years of that. It also has a small date stamp I din’t notice at first so take a close look inside and you might get a real answer

zenstat

Reaction score
My 2002 Supra has serial # 3383936 so I’m guessing yours is within a few years of that. It also has a small date stamp I din’t notice at first so take a close look inside and you might get a real answer
If it is a 3 digit code we don't really have a working decode for those. Periodically people presume they have a decode and interpret a 3 digit code accordingly. Each time I've had a look there are too many exceptions. The same is true for the 1972ish "date codes" on paper labels. I gave up looking some years ago in order to focus on cymbal research. Maybe somebody else has come up with a proper decode. :dontknow:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it is a 3 digit code we don't really have a working decode for those. Periodically people presume they have a decode and interpret a 3 digit code accordingly. Each time I've had a look there are too many exceptions. The same is true for the 1972ish "date codes" on paper labels. I gave up looking some years ago in order to focus on cymbal research. Maybe somebody else has come up with a proper decode. :dontknow:
If you’re referring to the date stamp, mine reads MAY 2002, which based on my far less extensive or impressive research and remembering that I ordered my kit in late spring 2002, leads me to believe it was produced in may of 2002.

zenstat

Reaction score
If you’re referring to the date stamp, mine reads MAY 2002, which based on my far less extensive or impressive research and remembering that I ordered my kit in late spring 2002, leads me to believe it was produced in may of 2002.
MAY 2002 is unambiguous. I was referring to the 3 digit ink stamps which get decoded as MYY or MMY or similar. So 994 is decoded MYY and thus September 1994, although I made that up because I don't want to have to drag out my research from years ago. Assembling all the codes we had at the time there wasn't any decoding which worked. I suspect the 3 digit numbers were batch numbers like Ziljdian use

but we have no way of knowing. :dontknow:

I did grab one reference book off my shelf, so I can tell you that Rob Cook's The Ludwig Book p262 has the Hammered Bronze model as 1982-1997.

Last edited:

Redwaggon

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Sorry it's taking me so long to reply, been a busy week. Here are a few more photo's that I snagged. Any clues that might help? I've geard the hammering on the shell has slightly changed over the years. Maybe that could be an identifying feature

Attachments

zenstat

Reaction score
I tired to add this to my reply yesterday but the DFO server seemed to be having a bunch of technical hiccups. It doesn't help with how old 3305756 is, but it is a little more context.

I've got a Black Beauty which the seller said was bought new in 2002. I bought it in 2004. The serial number is 3383105, which is very close to the May 2002 Supra at 3383936. That's very close in serial number terms because we know some of the vagaries of non consecutive serial numbers. I had a close look but no ink stamps inside mine at all.

Badges get hung on a peg board ready to use. When the supply "looks low" they put a few more on from a bigger box. Thus the order in which serial numbers come off the peg board already has little jumps in it, and is non sequential.

Ludwig-badges-on-pegboard.png

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey! My 6.5 hammered bronze is fairly close at #3301757. It has an ink stamp on the inside, a bit blurry but perhaps 095? I don't have a good pic, but you can see it here:
EOS_1315as.jpg