Serious Question - Is there any value in drumming on a table with your hands?

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I worked out a lot of big band fills by hand drumming on my workbench out in the garage.

K.BRN_Percussion_Series

Reaction score
I have a lot of down time at work. I know that a pad and sticks are the way to go to develop skill, but I'm thinking that my boss wouldn't take kindly to opening the door to my room and seeing me with a pad, sticks, metronome and Stick Control. Simply drumming on the computer desk is ok and easily stopped.

Could I build up any strength or agility just hitting the desk, or is that a complete waste of time?

Thanks for considering a potentially silly question.

Dan
I think there's value in it. You would necessarily be getting much practice with the natural muscle memory motions of your body in relation to the sticks, but you mentioned stick control which is a great book and choosing a few exercises from it and playing them with your hands will definitely improve your cognitive recognition of patterns, sticking and timing. And once you get back to the kit or a practice pad, you should find that the exercises flow out of you better because cognitively you've been chewing on them.