14x5 slingerland
Bdp Coliseum
Chrome over wood Coliseum
14x6.5 modern drum shop
14x3 slingerland
14x7 tama imperial star steel
14x5 premier apk birch
10 x5 pearl firecracker
Of course Im going to put some of these in my forthcoming sell off. Whenever that is

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yea I just wondered if the Gretsch snares got sold with the Kit to Paulw

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nope.
Im still feeling things out.

Right now my favorites are my MDS and my Slingerland!

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Yes".
I talked to Steve Maxwell(great guy).
And his new set o matic reproduction mounts work with the original. His is a shorter arm and probably wont go as high as I want. So I could find a vintage longer arm and swap out with parts of the repro midel as needed. But...too much hassle and its not as good as yamaha.

So i decided to get a yamaha long arm, bass mount for the arm and i also got a normal/ pre-y.e.s.s. system tom mount.

I had that set up on my 1980s gretsch kit and it was heaven on earth. Just so strong and reliable and I can get that "Al Foster" tilt on the 12x8 right where I want it.

So now the question is do I retrofit it/drill myself or send to Precision drum company?

I know this is tmi but...

Now that I have the hardware in my living room my subconscious is nagging away at me

"Why do you want to ruin that retro look on your Slingerlands? Just leave them alone. Sell them. Find a gretsch BROADKASTER bebop kit with a virgin bass drum and install the yamaha system on that"

Ha.

This sheeet never ends!

:D

P.s. yes. The more videos I watch of the BFOADKASTER the more I love them.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
So your problem is getting enough height from the rail mount? I assume you've tried the extended spade arms. You can probably get the tom about a foot above the bass drum with one of those extended all the way.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
So your problem is getting enough height from the rail mount? I assume you've tried the extended spade arms. You can probably get the tom about a foot above the bass drum with one of those extended all the way.
K.O. What is an extended spade arm?
I googled it and came up short :cool:

TL. Im a public school teacher 199% more stressed, angry and depressed than I've ever experienced in my 30 years of teaching. So yeah, while technically "on vacation " we've been having meetings all summer and Im probably needing a distraction.
Also I have 39 private students a week this summer. 5 weeks..this coming week is last week. So Im a little burnt out.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok. Now I see. Wow. Wish i would have knew this before I jrdered the Yamaha stuff.

Oh well...looks near impossible to find anyway.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Steve Maxwell offered them as part of his repro rail mounts. He doesn't seem to have any listed for sale but a phone call to Steve and a bit of pleading could likely get you one. I saw them still in stock in the back room of the Chicago store earlier this year.

Jim Petty also makes and sells them...

This is the Maxwell version...

IMG_3896.JPG

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Uhm. That's what i have on my Slingerlands. Maxwell's rail mount. That is 5". The one in the old thread (and i found an old reverb ad) is 7".

I think Steve would have told me he had one that was 7" when we recently emailed back and forth.

Either way I think Im going to love the Yamaha mount when it on there.

So easy.

ThomasL

Reaction score
TL. Im a public school teacher 199% more stressed, angry and depressed than I've ever experienced in my 30 years of teaching. So yeah, while technically "on vacation " we've been having meetings all summer and Im probably needing a distraction.
Also I have 39 private students a week this summer. 5 weeks..this coming week is last week. So Im a little burnt out.
Sorry to hear. I though you were bored...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Uhm. That's what i have on my Slingerlands. Maxwell's rail mount. That is 5". The one in the old thread (and i found an old reverb ad) is 7".

I think Steve would have told me he had one that was 7" when we recently emailed back and forth.

Either way I think Im going to love the Yamaha mount when it on there.

So easy.
Okay, I didn't know, just knew you wanted to get the tom higher. The Yamaha will do that (I have one of those tall Yamaha arms too) although I personally wouldn't want to alter that nifty bass drum to that degree...but they are your drums.

Have you seen Josh's new INDe rail? no drilling involved. Looks to me that with the simple substitution of the rod in the center you could have a tom 2- 3 feet (or more) above the bass drum if that was your desire.