Set up my brother's old Yamaha Oak Customs today

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Much bigger sound than the Stage Customs I've been playing. Really had fun. It will be fun to get comfortable with them

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
They are a killer sounding set. Great for rock or blues. My buddy has a 10/12/14/18 with matching snare. He is looking for a matching 16 and 22 bass in tobacco sunburst. Excellent quality & build and finish! My only gripe is they are one dimensional sounding to me and don't work great for jazz, but they are sweet....and very loud!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Loved the oak’s. Used them for about 9 years.

With the right heads and tuning they fit every style.

To vouch for that, they where the backline kits for both the North Sea jazz Festival and the North Sea Jazz Club for years.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
I actual remember reading that a lot of jazz guys were using these when they came out. Jeff Ballard for sure.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had Tempus shells for years; these are the wood drums that comes closest to them in terms of frequency response.

Drumceet

Reaction score
Love the oaks as I play them at the rehearsal studio, very loud, very deep, but ultimately I prefer my Stage Customs. I just prefer them live and how they sound recorded.

There is something about a birch shell when tuned perfectly.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just thinking about jazz vs other genres, a lot of congas and bongos are made of oak. Maybe it’s just for the volume and projection, but I haven’t heard any complaints about the tone either.

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Live, I saw Dave King (The Bad Plus), Keith Carlock and Dave Weckl played Yamaha Oak Custom with great results.
They’re versatile and balanced drums with a very big presence.

Here's my former Oak kit.

What It Is

Reaction score
I've got a set of Oaks, Silver Sparkle 10/12/14/16/22. Really like them and bought them used for a great price a few years ago. They've got old Evans EC2 clears on them and a batter EMAD that's ready to go. Good for the practice space and might gig them out. Ready for new heads, anybody have any recommendations? Thinking Remo, maybe CS black dots or coated emps. Music is rock, blues, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!