Setting up live

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if you would have kept it 2-up 2-down
you would have been Ok..
Actually it's the second bass drum that matters the most, and that's what wouldn't fit into my car. Back then I was using 16x26 bass drums; in 2013 I switched to 14x22s.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
when people PAY MONEY to see you play you better not be lazy ! THEY are paying your rent ! Maybe they should only pay half the ticket price if thats all they feel like paying. A small stage is a different situation.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
4 piece bop kit, two rides, a crash and hi-hat. Does all I need it to do and fits anywhere I am likely to play with a trio. For duo gigs, I will leave the toms and and use one ride only ...keeping snare and hi-hat.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My kit keeps shrinking/growing/shrinking/growing. I had the big 9 pc double bass kit in high school which then became the typical 90's 3 up/ 2 down (8/10/12/14/16) on a three sided rack. Dabbled with the double kicks again for a brief period of time in my last original band, then landed in cover band world about 14 years ago and it went down to 12/16/24 for a few years when I was in a top 40 country band. That kit evolved into 13/16/18/24 until I joined a classic rock cover band, then I swapped the 13 for a 10 & 12. Now it depends on which kit I want to take with me, only one of them has the option of multiple floor toms so I sometimes end up with 10/12/16 and when I'm feeling really lazy I'll leave the 10 at home and get creative as to how to play Rush on a 4pc kit. =)

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sure! Some years ago, my band was booked into a club, and it snowed heavily that day. I called the club and they were going to be open, so we had to get there. I knew I wasnt going to mess with a full drum set in car services, etc in the snow, so I packed up a snare, hi hat, crash ride and throne, into two small cases and headed out. It worked just fine. I concentrated on providing a strong beat with minimal fills. Everyone was happy.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
My preferred setup is a 4 piece with two crashes, ride, and hats, so that's what I bring to gigs. Add in a few extra minutes for setting up my mixer and mics and everything is set up in 20 minutes from the car to the first beat.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Exact setup every gig. I don't have anything I don't need and play everything in the set on every gig.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends on which band I’m playing with. Most of the time its a 4piece kit with 2 crashes, hats and ride. One band I use a hybrid kit with electronic pads and another may have an xtra snare with x-hats. My country gig was kick and snare with hats,crash and ride. Maybe a floor tom if I wanted to get crazy