setup for 10 year old drummer to play to music

gschimma

Reaction score
we have a 10 year old son who loves drumming. he’s been taking lessons and has a small kit. trying to figure out how to set up something so that can he play with music. there’s a computer in the room but have to play the music loud. i have a some bose sound cancelling headphones. maybe i could connect to an old mp3 player, but trying to save his ears. thoughts?

covinasurf

Reaction score
I don’t know if this will work for you but here’s what I’ve been doing for years. Get a small cheap mixer, used is fine. Get an inexpensive microphone and cable and a cheap boom stand for the mic. Put the mic over the drums. Plug the mic into the mixer then plug the computer into the mixer. You’ll probably need a mini stereo to 2 1/4“ mono plugs for that. Plug the phones into the board and you’re ready to rock and roll. He can hear the music and the drums and save his ears as well

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Subscribe to Apple Music or another streaming service and give him some headphones and have him listen to it through your phone or computer. It’s $10 or less a month and y’all could use it too.

gschimma

Reaction score
thank, plenty of access to music. question was more about how to play it so he could play along...headphones vs external sound system. he wears ear protection while practicing. it’s loud.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
thank, plenty of access to music. question was more about how to play it so he could play along...headphones vs external sound system. he wears ear protection while practicing. it’s loud.
I don’t know. Growing up and when I was a kid I would always play along the music, I’d play along to the stereo speakers and headphones. I wouldn’t wear earplugs very much and I still don’t. But I don’t play heavy rock music or anything.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t know if this will work for you but here’s what I’ve been doing for years. Get a small cheap mixer, used is fine. Get an inexpensive microphone and cable and a cheap boom stand for the mic. Put the mic over the drums. Plug the mic into the mixer then plug the computer into the mixer. You’ll probably need a mini stereo to 2 1/4“ mono plugs for that. Plug the phones into the board and you’re ready to rock and roll. He can hear the music and the drums and save his ears as well
You should verify this, but, my understanding is that passive noise attenuation headphones are more protective of hearing (from outside sources like the drums themselves), than active noise reduction headphones. If I had a 10 year old, I’d make sure he was getting the best possible hearing protection.

jmcohen

Reaction score
If he wears over-the-ears headphones, he will be able to hear the music without having to crank the volume. He will also be able to hear his drums because, as you have discovered, they are loud. Playing along with music this way should only be part of his practice. It will help him with continuity, time-keeping and will be fun. He should remind himself to pay attention to dynamics, as this is often overlooked when jamming along with recordings. He should also make sure he practices separately from just playing along with his favorite music.
Josh