Shall we Have Another Friendly 20" vs 22" Discussion?

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've played 18" to 28" over half a century and had settled in to 22" for several decades. However I am only interested at this point in lower volume bands and so have gone over to the dark side and bought what I consider the ideal sized kit: 20/10/12/15fl.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My ideal kit would be 14x20, 8x12 and a 15" floor tom, in either a 13" or 14" depth. I converted a Rogers 12x15 marching tenor drum into a floor tom for use with my Headliner kit. I love the 15" floor tom, but would like just a few inches more depth, hence a 14x15.

And, yes, 14x20 Rogers bass drums are great!

-Mark

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like 20", but more for gigs where other might use an 18", small rooms, jazz (double-headed, tuned up).

For a ported, padded sound I prefer 22", to my ear 20" set up this way is a compromise, a kind of in-between sound.
Sounds great here, though, 20x14:

Last edited by a moderator:

PerfectImposter

Reaction score
For those who say they are using a 20 in lower volume situations, is that because you feel they sound better when played softly? The reason I ask is because I've been bringing out a 20 recently and I've found that they are better at punching through thick guitars than a 22.

Interestingly, Taylor Hawkins from Foo Fighters looks to be playing a 20, 13, 16, 18 setup now. I believe he was using a 24 before.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
One thing I remember from back in the day is that Rogers 14 X 20 bass drums had tremendous bass response. Amazing, Some kind of magic formula. I did a lot of big band gigs with a 20" Rogers bass drum, and it kicked ass.

Anyway, with today's drums, a 20" bass drum will probably cover most gigs.

BTW, I hate any bass drum that is more than 14" deep. Just my preference.
Good , Ron especially about the Rogers and the 14" depth .

I've come to believe that the point of impact on a 20 is farther away from the center of the head than a 22 and this fact influences the difference between the two sizes . A 20 will have a quicker response,and in the case of drummers who depend on clarity in their patterns to express their beats and grooves a smaller bass drum might be just the thing . Higher tension on a 20's batter has somewhat different results than a 22, in my experience sacrificing lower frequency ' head room '. BTW, tone is more emphatic off center . the middle of the head is the deadest , at least this is my experience , so risers are a matter of taste and designation .

Its easier to make a 22 sound like 20 than the other way around . The xtra couple of inches of a 22 is ergonomically more sensible to deal with than a 24 or bigger .

ThomFloor

Reaction score
& You Dont Stop said:
for those asking. My regular drum kit gig is a blues-classic rock trio with mic'ed drums
12-14-20 would do you fine, especially with mic's. The portability can make life easier, and as suggested you can add a 22 and/or 16 down the line.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
& You Dont Stop said:
So, I've had it in my mind that the perfect shell pack for me would be 20/10/12/15fl (14 floor as alternate choice).
My argument for a 20x14 kick is they
  • Can be just as boomy as a 22 with perhaps more desirable beater rebound
  • Take up less space in the car and on stage
  • are less likely to interfere with tom positioning if you like a low or flat rack tom profile
Here's my conundrum, The particular line of drums I have my eye on comes in basically 2 configs, where the only difference is the sizes of kick and floor. The 22 kick is paired with a 16 floor, the 20 kick with a 14 floor.

Both configs have identical price points

Additionally, there are two component "add-ons": a 13" rack tom and a 14" floor.

My original thinking was: buy the 20/10/12/14 and if you really like the kit, you could try to acquire a 16" floor at a later time

Now, I'm thinking, if the shell packs are identical in price..."why not get the bigger drums?" (22/10/12/16) and add the available 14" floor at whatever its additional price is.

leave it up to me to make fuss over two inches

:help:
There is a sympathetically resonance that takes place between the toms and the bass drum. By fluke, I discovered that a 16 floor with a 20 bass makes for a very healthy sound. Tune the floor tom and then try your bass drum.. and visa versa. In a room that will allow you to hear the difference, it makes for a great way to get your entire set in tune with itself.

Too many (I believe) tune drums individually, and not to each other as a whole unit. Some get frustrated with the sound of their floor tom and do not realize the bass drum tuning will effect the floor tom's sound... and visa versa,.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PerfectImposter said:
For those who say they are using a 20 in lower volume situations, is that because you feel they sound better when played softly?
I prefer 20" over 18" for jazz right now because of the lower pitch, I like rather high tension in order to get good tone when playing softly; 22" would be a bit much.
A 20" tuned low and mic'ed would have a higher pitch (compared to a 22" ) that might sit better with certain guitar nad bass sounds.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
BennyK said:
Its easier to make a 22 sound like 20 than the other way around . The xtra couple of inches of a 22 is ergonomically more sensible to deal with than a 24 or bigger .
Very good point.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 20, 22 and 24 kicks for my Premier Genista kit. The 24" gets the lion's share of use because it's pitch is the most pleasing to me. The 22" is the next most useful for most situations. I hate to say it, but I don't care for the 20" much at all. The pitch is too high and doesn't fit in a mix as well as the two larger drums. It doesn't take up THAT much less space vs the 22" so I can't even use the "small/compact" argument as reason for taking it out on gigs.

PerfectImposter

Reaction score
mgdrummer said:
I have 20, 22 and 24 kicks for my Premier Genista kit. The 24" gets the lion's share of use because it's pitch is the most pleasing to me. The 22" is the next most useful for most situations. I hate to say it, but I don't care for the 20" much at all. The pitch is too high and doesn't fit in a mix as well as the two larger drums. It doesn't take up THAT much less space vs the 22" so I can't even use the "small/compact" argument as reason for taking it out on gigs.
Interesting. I have a 16x20 Premier Genista bass drum from the 90s that has great attack but not enough bottom end for me. It cuts through the mix fine, but sounds thin. My other 20 is a Noble & Cooley CD Maple. That drum has plenty of low end, and seems to be putting out frequencies that aren't competing with bass and guitars. I also had a 14x24 Ludwig Class Maple that sounded great in a mix. To be honest, I have yet to play a 22 that sounds as good as either.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pretty simple: You stated the 20 was the size preference. That's the size I'd pick based on that.

Not sure the wood used in the Tour Custom. Birch can sound lower and have a good attack. Maple can have more midrange to it. As far as versatility, the 20 can tune up higher for jazz. The 22 can be more powerful for rock.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally...I would configure the kit any way you wish. Yes drum companies try to sell package deals like you said. I don't really see any reason why we have to buy it that way.

I have a 16x22 bass that I've used for years and it sounds great but ever since I converted a 16x18 floor tom to bass it gets most of the gigs. Only when playing out doors or in very large halls I will use the 16x22. And I'm still using the same toms. When space allows I use the 16x16 floor tom with the small bass drum other wise in tight spaces I will use the 14" floor tom. Actually I prefer the larger toms and if I should purchased a new kit today it would be 10, 12 and 16 with a 14x20 bass or just the 12 and 16. That way the 20" would cover for any gig I do to compensate for the 18" bass limitations.

Plus the older I get the bigger that 16x22 gets; I would love to have a 14x20 right now to take it's place.

Just my opinion,
sherm

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Doesn't matter which size you use. The sound comes from the drummer. It's not about gear.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Monty said:
Doesn't matter which size you use. The sound comes from the drummer. It's not about gear.
Which is why my 16x16 floor tom conversion rivals the bigness of Bonham -- because I play it that way. I will it to sound HUGE, and it does, defying all reasonable explanation. Or something like that...

Barden

Reaction score
I went with a 22 diameter by 20 deep back in the day. The drum sounds amazing and is often my preference for sound, but see what my ford fiesta looks like when carting that thing!!! That's why the last 10 years have put way more time on my 18x18. Because I built it from parts I don't mind it getting scuffed not in a case. The spur acts like a suitcase handle and it will fit in about any car seat. It sounds plenty big for the venues I play.

If I had to reduce overall equipment I would likely get a 20, but currently I suffer with two bass drums.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Im with Crigger....generally like a 22 over a 20 for most contemporary things. Unless its jazz or a jazzy type of gig, then 18 or 20. Heck, I love 24s too though.

Latest posts