Shallow bass drum club

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know only a few people will be into this, but if you have a bass that’s less than 14” deep, let’s share our pics, reviews, and tips for how to get the best sound from them!

I’ve been using a 10 x 24 for a few months now. It’s a Gretsch USA Custom that was originally 20” deep, and the previous owner had it cut into two drums. I’m still working on dialing in the setup; sometimes I think I’ve got it nailed, but then I’ll read some suggestion for a different head or muffling, and I try it, and find myself back at square one.

Best results I’ve gotten so far are with the batter tuned low and the reso tuned high. The reso I like best is an Aquarian Jack DeJohnette with a port hole. For batters and muffling, I’ve gotten great sound from two setups:
-Aquarian coated SK1, nothing inside.
-Remo coated Ambassador, KickPro weighted pillow resting against the batter but not touching the reso.

I tried more minimal muffling with the Remo, like a small towel, but got too much “hitting a giant paper bag” sound. Also the reason for tuning the reso higher is I found that there was a slapback sound from the reso at lower tuning, only noticeable when miked. Anyway it’s a work in progress, I’m still trying to find my way with it.

Let’s hear about your experience with shallow bass. What’s worked for you?

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the shallower drums, with a 12x20 that is a keeper. My favorite head setup for that (and just about all bass drums really) would be an Aquarian Force 1 clear batter, and a Regulator (unported) reso. I would highly recommend tossing the Ambassador and your muffling stuff, and putting a regulator on there.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I actually already have a Force 1 clear, but it was giving me a noticeable buzzing sound, I think from the tone ring. Have you encountered that? How do you have yours tuned?

drumstuff66

Reaction score
I've never played anything shallower than a 14", but have been considering getting 12" x 20" for lower volume/tight stage space gigs.

When checking them out online it seemed like the shallower kicks had some "wobble", even when not being played hard.
Sound notwithstanding, are you guys getting a "solid feel" while playing them at a moderate volume?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
When checking them out online it seemed like the shallower kicks had some "wobble", even when not being played hard.
Sound notwithstanding, are you guys getting a "solid feel" while playing them at a moderate volume?
IME so far it depends on the weight of the drum and how high it sits on its legs. With mine, when I have the KickPro in it, and set just up off the ground maybe an inch or less, it feels anchored and steady just like a deeper drum. Without the weight, and legs set higher in the air, it does sway back and forth a bit.

mebeatee

Reaction score
I have a 12x22 Slingerland marching bd that I changed into a regular bd. Was a flat blue and then I repainted it a semi gloss black to match the black snare in pic...
Coated power stroke on the batter and fibreskyn on the front....not ported of course! A loose t shirt is inside as well so I can dampen the reso head if needs be. (OT....in the pic for gear geeks is a '63 Camco, a mid '70's Gretsch, and a mid 70's Premier. Cymbals are all Dream bliss....15" hats, 20 and 22 crash/rides.)
bt

IMG_0753.JPG

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the shallower drums, with a 12x20 that is a keeper. My favorite head setup for that (and just about all bass drums really) would be an Aquarian Force 1 clear batter, and a Regulator (unported) reso. I would highly recommend tossing the Ambassador and your muffling stuff, and putting a regulator on there.
Recently acquired a WFL 12x20, can’t wait for it to be finished!!

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a mongrel kit (Pearl Rhythm Traveler bass drum, DW piccolo tom & Blacro + LP compact conga on occasion) for a lot of subdued/dining gigs. Clear SK1 on batter, ported front head.

IMG_9467.JPG

2018-06-29-Romilos001.JPG

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 10x20...purchased a Keller shell, had it drilled etc by Saluda. Transferred lugs and spurs off a Sonor 18x20 shell, put several coats of tung oil in/out of the shell to almost match perfect with the Natural shell look of the rest of kit...works perfect

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The Second Kit...
I had a hankerin' for a jelly bean kit and wanted to try Jazz on a "big" kit, so I picked up some shells from a local drumshop….

1566452745616.png

22x8, 13x9 and 15x12...and now I know not to do that anymore...

I had a 14" floor tom I'd been using as a table for a while and decided to throw that in the kit, but I already knew I hated 13/14 tom setups, so I picked up a 12" tom and found that worked a LOT better.
That 14" floor tom really surprised me. Very fat.

1566452700719.png

The 22x8 bass drum sounds surprisingly....normal.
It's still a fairly big sound and it still speaks the low note, but it lost all that boominess. Its like the drum is now gated, but in a very natural way.
I don't need self-muffled heads, felt strips or a drawerful of underwear stuffed inside. Just a couple of Ambassadors tuned up.
...and it carries easy, too! Only bass drum out of 5 kits that fits in the footwell of my truck! :icon_e_biggrin:
I should swap out the Sonor kit and set that one back up.

Elvis

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Tama Silverstar 20x10” that I use a lot. It still has the stock heads: Tama branded PS3 type clear batter/off white reso. I use the smallest Weckl style bass drum dampener on the batter, nothing on the reso except when tracking I use a small tissue and gaffer (see pic).

The drum sounds great for smaller gigs and especially when recording. It translates really, really well to “tape”. For larger venues it doesn’t have enough presence, even when mic’d and feels to weak behind the kit. I usually either bring a 20x14” or 22”-24”.

But I really love it for it’s strengths and it sees a lot of use.

490D216E-B2B9-4CBC-B5C7-C9F2C4FD4290.jpeg

D4B72E2D-E2C1-4D2F-A9D2-E445BF619ED5.jpeg

davidh

Reaction score
Premier 1968 mahogany 18x12. I use an Aquarian Force 1 clear batter and an old Everplay un=ported smooth white with its original felt strip

Attachments