Shallow bass drum club

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two for me. A 22x12 Leedy ("SlingerLeedy"), with Ambassadors front and back and a felt strip, and a 20x6 I put together using a Keller shell scrap, with pre-muffled heads front and back. The 20x6 sounds surprisingly good, although it's really only effective in low-volume situations.

Attachments

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the shallower drums, with a 12x20 that is a keeper. My favorite head setup for that (and just about all bass drums really) would be an Aquarian Force 1 clear batter, and a Regulator (unported) reso. I would highly recommend tossing the Ambassador and your muffling stuff, and putting a regulator on there.
I've looked at the regulator heads many times but they really need to release them in coated white and vintage or even a DeJohnette coating. Something other than gloss white or gloss black.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
20x13 (shortened from 18 ) Gretsch New Classic. Two smooth white Ambassadors with felt strip each. Sometimes I add a piece of cloth on the outside of the batter head. Same tension. Versatile drum for lower volume or big band.

antipodes

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two - one 12" x 18" and another 12" x 20", both Oaklawn badge Camcos...I mix and match the bass drums with the rest of the kit, dependent on the gig....I also have a damaged 16" floor which will shortly become a full-time 12" x 16" bass drum for a very small jazz club thing I do regularly (plus I can get it on the bus). Absolutely love them. I think the science would be with us that the shorter distance between batter and reso should give them more attack.

Attachments

REF

Reaction score
12x20 on the stacked plywood set, 11x22 and 12x24 on the Leather set, and 6x24 on the table top set. Then there's the pancake kicks with a "shell" just deep enough to allow for head tension.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably my best sounding bass drum. 1959 12x22. I don't recall what the batter head setup is but I didn't do anything special, it just sounds great...actually the whole set does. Maybe that old mahogany.

59 NY.jpg

Last edited:

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
Had an Olympic 22x12 for a while. Ran a regular Emad & coated EQ3 (ported) combo on it with a small hand towel inside to knock off any excess ring.
That drum had a wicked combination of low end and punch when tuned medium low on the batter and a little higher on the reso.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I think the science would be with us that the shorter distance between batter and reso should give them more attack.
With my 22x8, everything seems to have stayed the same.
The lack of depth seems to dry the drum out, if anything....It loses that boomy quality.
Attack stays the same.
YMMV.

Elvis

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ive tried the shallower bass drums and although they sound nice, my favorite size is still 22x16 kicks. That to me just has the perfect balance for the many styles that I play.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
22x16 might be the least spectacular bd size out there, but indeed has a really well-balanced sound.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had my Pearl Vision kick recently cut down from 18" long to 12 3/4" long. I absolutely love it!

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm currently playing a 10x28. It sounds surprisingly good, but I've been having a bit of trouble with tuning since I switched to a PS3 and FS Ambassador. A little too much plasticy head noise from the batter. Trying to tune up, but that can start to get boomy.

A couple months ago I picked up a virgin 12x24 shell that was built in the 1910's-1920's. I'm really excited to finish this drum. Going to have its edges re-cut and drilled for lugs, but I'm not sure which yet.