header.nohb.html

Shallow bass drums

drummerboyfitz

Reaction score
I need advice/opinions/information.

I am considering having a shallow bass drum made (22"X6"). I have used shallow bass drums before but always with just a batter side head, no reso. I'm wondering if putting a resonant head on will get rid of the boomy, crappy sound that I'm getting now with just a batter side head? Currently playing a 22"X3.5" and there is really no volume or bottom end at all. Will a 6 inch shell with reonant heads sound like a "real" bass drum? Am I wasting my time fooling sround with shallow basses? I really do like a nice warm bass sound with lots of bottom end. Help!

If anyone is playing anything like I've described, do you have video/audio files available?

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I imagine the shallowest you could possibly go and still get a decent sound is 22×10 maybe. And that's with s well tuned and muffled batter and reso, and I imagine a port would open it up and control it more.

carter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just played at a small venue that had something like a 6 or 8 x 22". It was very punchy and lacking low end, but when I put up my Vintage Bomber beater it warmed up a little.
Personally I'm in the hunt for a 12 or 10 x 24"...

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Taye makes an 8x18" on there go-kit that is double headed. I've only heard one in person at a gig. It was ported and mic'd and sounded very good for what it was. I've also heard a Flat Jack at a gig mic'd and sounded good. (Flat Jack is a near shell-less kick, I think 22" x 2"ish? and single headed)

Are you currently mic'ing your single headed kick? Also what head are you using?

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ginger Baker used and still uses a shallow 20" x 12" right bass drum. Listen to how powerful it sounds and you'll feel comfortable going that route.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If your micing the drum you can get away with just about any sizes. Why does everyone try to reinvent the bass drum. Its not called a "tenor drum" its a BASS drum. There's NO bass without some depth, sorry. If you need a smaller more compact sized bass drum they've made 14x20 and 14x18 forever!
A 8x20 will NOT take up less room on a stage or platform or anywhere else you place your drums. Maybe your front seat of the car but then you have the WRONG vehicle for a drummer.

Doc.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've played a 10x20, it was okay for coffee house type stuff; I never tried it miked up...

I think 12 inches deep is about as shallow as you can go and still have it sound "normal," especially if you're not miked.

drummerboyfitz

Reaction score
I don't Mic my drums because I don't gig anymore. I'm not trying to reinvent anything - I am just really open to trying new things. All that being said, thanks for all the advice and input! I appreciate it.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I put together a 6x20 for myself last year. A friend gave me a shell scrap in that size, and I already had the rest of the parts for a bass drum sitting around, so why not give it a try?

No surprise, it doesn't sound like my 14x22 or 16x20 bass drums - it simply doesn't have the presence (the "oomph," for lack of a better word) that standard-depth bass drums do. On the other hand, I like it for low-volume situations, and it does mean my kit takes up less floor space in my practice room. I also find that it sounds much more like a bass drum than other "micro bass" solutions - there's just no comparison between this and a 16" "kick" drum. I'm guessing it has to do with the larger diameter allowing for a lower pitch than one can get from a 16.

Imposing Will

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've built several shallow bass drums over the years-22x5.5 acrylic, 22x11 poplar, 24x6 maple, 26x8 maple. All double-headed. For the most part, diameter has a bigger influence on sound than depth...but there are exceptions. The 22x5.5 acrylic sounded great mic'ed, or with a "woofer" in front of it-a little flat on it's own. The 22x11 was REALLY good. The 24 and 26 were used as "woofers", never as main kicks-so I've got no opinion there.
I'd say half of diameter for depth (or close) would be a good rule of thumb for how shallow you can go. IMHO.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thicker heads resonate more slowly all things equal, so they might help you achieve more bottom end, too.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I've been playing a 10x26 old "scotch" bass drum on gigs for years (EMAD batter, full front head, rarely miced). Of all the drums I've played, snares, kicks, toms, etc. The 10x26 is the ONLY one that has garnered unsolicited favorably commented from other musicians. "That bass drum sounds fantastic", ertc. Full. Rich. Plenty of bottom end. Plenty of "omph."
Kind of makes the current trend of 18 or 20 or even deeper bass drums seem silly.

R

RickP

I had a 20" x 8" Premier Heritage Club bass drum ( Artist Birch) and a 20 x 10 Keller Maple made by Wells Custom drums. The main thing with these is that with an unported head the response from them with your beater is much greater than with a deeper bass drum.In other words the beater bounces off the batter head much faster than with a deeper bass drum. I found that porting the bass drum relieved this issue.

Personally, I think the optimal depth for a bass drum regardless of diameter is between 12" and 15"

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
My "small" kick is a 60's Olympic 12x22. Were talking 3 ply Birch with solid beech rings and 6 lugs.
It has depth and punch and feels very fast and immediate.
Shallower than that and I feel your not really leaving any room for the low end to develop before it hits the reso head.
Just my 2cAU or about 1.6cUS

VintageDrummer

DFO Master
Reaction score
this 18x10 sounds pretty good to me ;)
&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited by a moderator:

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ive found my place from 16-18. Deeper wont fit on my rug, smaller doesnt interest me.