Share Your Favorite Modern Ride(s)

tbird8450

Reaction score
I've been on an obsessive and (possibly) unhealthy ride kick lately, and thought this could be fun.

The title is self-explanatory, however there are a few simple rules (#fascist).

• Yes, we all (right?!) love the vintage stuff, but for the purpose of this topic, the models(s) in question must be currently available new or have been within the past two years.

• Custom cymbals are acceptable provided the cymbal smith is still actively in business.

• You must provide a link to a video / sound sample. It could be a live / studio performance, a drum shop video, a manufacturer sound file, you playing it, etc.

• All musical genres are welcome.

Here are a couple of mine, both jazz-focused (for my uses):

Not my cymbal, but pretty close to the one I have - 22" K Dark Medium:

This isn't my favorite to play in isolation, but boy, when played in the mix it's just dreamy. The wash is smooth and sits perfectly, the stick definition is spot-on, and while it takes a little oomph to crash with it, crash-riding is a cinch and sounds great.

This one is mine - 22" Istanbul Agop Traditional Jazz (2328g):

I could sit there and play this one all day by my lonesome. It's just super satisfying and is surprisingly capable of a variety of different sounds. Yeah it's probably not your everyday workhorse but I love it.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I will show my 3 rides that you can get today. My most versatile is my 20” Paiste Modern Essentials. This one is the closest to the weight of mine, just slightly heavier:
The second ride is one like Elvin Jones used. It’s an A Zildjian Orchestral 20” cymbal. He used the medium-light and heavy models. All I could find was the medium-heavy model used for myself but here’s the medium-light one that was owned by Elvin.
When I want to pretend I’m Stewart Copeland I set up his signature ride:

Last edited:

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
My 2 favorites are the Sabian AAX Stadium ride (no longer in production) and the AAX X-Plosion ride (specifically the 21").

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got to play on a 22" Sabian HHX complex medium ride. It's a REALLY impressive cymbal.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I will show my 3 rides that you can get today. My most versatile is my 20” Paiste Modern Essentials. This one is the closest to the weight of mine, just slightly heavier:
The second ride is one like Elvin Jones used. It’s an A Zildjian Orchestral 20” cymbal. He used the medium-light and heavy models. All I could find was the medium-heavy model used for myself but here’s the medium-light one that was owned by Elvin.
When I want to pretend I’m Stewart Copeland I set up his signature ride:
I have the med light orchestral cymbal. It’s one of my favorites too.

Redfern

Reaction score
When I received this cymbal from Mike Mongiello, I was blown away by its looks, texture, shape and mojo…it’s a 22” Reversible Flat China Ride sitting at 2343g…covers just about everything I need in one cymbal; a flat ride, a subtle china, a crash. Out of my 20 or so cymbals, this one seems to never leave the stands, just moves around the kit…
FEE8C935-8239-42CA-9715-7CEDB9A7982C.jpeg

tbird8450

Reaction score
I got to play on a 22" Sabian HHX complex medium ride. It's a REALLY impressive cymbal.

Yeah, for no particular reason Sabian is one of the few big brands that I never bought, but I always enjoy those Complex Mediums when I come across them. They sort of sound like a pleasant smashing together of a K Custom Dark and a K Con MTL.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
K Con 22 Light. Agop signature 21. Agop SE Jazz 22 TW ride. Ottaviano 22. Cymbal and Gong Holy Grails 18 & 22.

saturnresearch

Reaction score
I promise I'm not joking -- my Agop xist dry dark flat ride. 1300g, I play that sucker every day, always gets me thinking. a lot more color to it than I expected. I keep it on the left side and while its an amazing subdued crash (almost comical) I love playing ghost notes on it that I'd otherwise place on the snare or hi hat to complement the right hand 'melody.'

Redfern

Reaction score
I promise I'm not joking -- my Agop xist dry dark flat ride. 1300g, I play that sucker every day, always gets me thinking. a lot more color to it than I expected. I keep it on the left side and while its an amazing subdued crash (almost comical) I love playing ghost notes on it that I'd otherwise place on the snare or hi hat to complement the right hand 'melody.'
Whoa! Sounds awesome! What size is it SR???

saturnresearch

Reaction score
Whoa! Sounds awesome! What size is it SR???
It's a 20". Only one in the line so far. Plenty of YouTube demos (and mean comments :angry3:).

Not entirely sure why but I find myself playing almost exclusively flat rides these days -- beginning to balk at the sound of a bell ride.

Pibroch

Reaction score
It's a 20". Only one in the line so far. Plenty of YouTube demos (and mean comments :angry3:).

Not entirely sure why but I find myself playing almost exclusively flat rides these days -- beginning to balk at the sound of a bell ride.
Love this one - puts me in mind of New Orleans second line sloppy snare drum sounds.
Lordy, might have to get one now!

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's bagged up, but Paiste 21 Dark Dry became my favorite instantly. Not cashable, but I have cymbals for that

Redfern

Reaction score

Same here…I have gotten heavy into my flats and miss that woody tick so much when it’s not on the kit…so, at least one stays on at all times…