Share Your Favorite Modern Ride(s)

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I will show my 3 rides that you can get today. My most versatile is my 20” Paiste Modern Essentials. This one is the closest to the weight of mine, just slightly heavier:
The second ride is one like Elvin Jones used. It’s an A Zildjian Orchestral 20” cymbal. He used the medium-light and heavy models. All I could find was the medium-heavy model used for myself but here’s the medium-light one that was owned by Elvin.
When I want to pretend I’m Stewart Copeland I set up his signature ride:
The ride sounds fantastic, as does your playing
I guess that's what they sound like when played correctly.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These are my three rides (exact cymbals that I bought from MDS)...

And then I use this one as a left side ride/crash on jazz gigs (not the exact cymbal but close to the same weight and sound)...

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of mine, both jazz-focused (for my uses):

Not my cymbal, but pretty close to the one I have - 22" K Dark Medium:

This isn't my favorite to play in isolation, but boy, when played in the mix it's just dreamy. The wash is smooth and sits perfectly, the stick definition is spot-on, and while it takes a little oomph to crash with it, crash-riding is a cinch and sounds
This IS my exact cymbal, and it is a great one.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well you know that these videos aren’t me right? They’re videos of retailers from YouTube. They are playing the same models of cymbals I have.
No, I didn't know that, but thank you for posting it. I got to practicing right after lol. I have that ride as well, however never really tried it out. I've been real happy with the 21 Dry Heavy and 24 2002. Next time I get to that cymbal bag, I'm going to have to take it out

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Paiste Masters 22" Dark Crisp, Meinl 22" Symmetry, Meinl Byzance flat 22" with rivets.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

These are all exact cymbals I own (videos I used to purchase them). 22 k dark medium was already referenced in first post, but here it is again.

Most gigged cymbal is the Paiste Dark Crisp. Just magical.
Is the Zildjian very similar the Paiste in person ?

marc3k

Reaction score
This IS my exact cymbal, and it is a great one.
I love when you guys talk about this K Dark Medium, especially how some often point out that it sounds great in context with other instruments. I bought one after watching following video:

I rarely play mine and I (still) cannot make it sound as in the videos...
I mostly play lighter cymbals at the moment

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is the Zildjian very similar the Paiste in person ?
Not at all actually. The dark medium is more whispy sounding and the dark crisp more of a solid ping. The bell on the dark medium is great, as is the crash, but the stick attack is better on the Paiste.

tbird8450

Reaction score
I love when you guys talk about this K Dark Medium, especially how some often point out that it sounds great in context with other instruments. I bought one after watching following video:

I rarely play mine and I (still) cannot make it sound as in the videos...
I mostly play lighter cymbals at the moment
They can vary quite a bit, like most Zildjian cymbals. It's why I won't buy non-Paiste cymbals blind anymore, unless there's a very easy and inexpensive return policy involved.

marc3k

Reaction score
They can vary quite a bit, like most Zildjian cymbals. It's why I won't buy non-Paiste cymbals blind anymore, unless there's a very easy and inexpensive return policy involved.
That's true. It takes some experience to take all information into account to determine what the cymbal in the end will sound like. This was the first "good" cymbal I bought so I wasn't aware of this.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reissue 20” Paiste 602 Medium ride has been my old reliable ride cymbal since they came out . It has a sweet ping , nice bell and is an excellent crash as well . This has been the one constant in my ride cymbal collection for a long time .

A friend recently gifted me a 20” and 22” Sabian Artisan Light ride and I really love these . They are complex and have a really nice stick sound and a small but very cutting bell .

I really like the 21” Sabian HH Raw Bell Dry ride for louder gigs and occasionally for Big Band . There is a reason it is Sabian’s best selling ride cymbal . It is easy to play , good stick definition and it has an outstanding bell.

larold

Reaction score
The rides I’m coveting the most right now are a 24” Agop Traditional Dark Ride and a 24” Agop Special Edition Jazz Ride.

Last edited: