Shell Banks

cutaway79

Reaction score

I'm pretty close to having every size Premier Genista that they offered in Damask red. Just missing the 11x13 power tom, 16x24/18x20 and 16x18 bass drums. I just love the sound & look of these drums.
Most impressive!

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable..most impressive gear. ..I don't get it, but hope you get to play them all someday.

cutaway79

Reaction score
That's another cool thing about the shell bank idea... I typically use a 4-piece in my main band. But I do gigs/sessions with various other bands that may require a different set-up. If I ever play a gig that requires a giant kit, I have it covered.

KevinD

Reaction score
I have kind of done this, not necessarily intentionally, with 2 of my kits. I didn't really start out with this idea in mind but if I saw a good deal on something that matched (or could be made to match) my gear I would pick it up.

One is my early 80s Tama Superstars in Super Mahogany. The base kit was 12,13,16, 22 (std sizes). Over time I've added an 8" x 10" tom, and a 10 x 14" tom. I have done some jazz gigs using the 12, 14 and 16" FT as a bd.
Will probably add an 18" Ft and cut that down to BD sizes at some point.
I also have two Pearl concert toms (8 & 10") from the same era in "Rosewood," which is an extremely close match to the Super Mahogany finish (even the interiors were stained like the Tama's). Other than the lugs, it is difficult to tell that they are from different manufacturers.

Have also done similar with my '68 Rogers Holiday in Blue Onyx (12,13,14FT, 20 BD). Over time I've added a Big R 8x 10 and 10 x 14 and recovered them with Precision wrap, which looks really good.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've ended up with shell banks in both the Sonor Prolite and Sonor Vintage Series. Even though I usually play one up/two down, I love the versatility the different sizes offer.

Sonor Prolite in Walnut Brown Burst:
toms: 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 18x16
bass: 20x17.5, 22x17.5
snare: 14x5, 14x6 w/ Hella hoops (not pictured)

Sonor Vintage in Natural finish:
toms: 12x8, 13x8, 14x12, 16x14
bass: 20x14, 22x14, 24x14
snare: 14x5.75, 14x6.5
https://flic.kr/p/Pdqdua

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Gretsch New Classic 18/12/14 kit at some point got expanded by 10/16/20 drums. I wouldn't mind owning a 22" in cherry lacquer, too (anyone?).
I've mostly used the 12/14 toms with either 18 or 20 for jazz/big band gigs. I'm not sure they even made a 13", I'd have to take that form another kit (Pearl 80s rosewood, reasonably close in color), That kit also has the 22" I use now and then.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is a shell bank not limiting you to what is now your fave sound? What happens when the next "best sound" comes out, which it will. I would think if you play a four pc kit, get another 4 pc kit in different sizes and have a choice?
I think there is some validity to this line of thought of you play different styles of music. A big shell bank of Bubinga shells may be amazing for metal and rock, but using those same drums for jazz or big band probably wont give you the right sound. Certainly having one shell bank of maple shells can get you pretty far with the sounds it can produce, but if that kit happens to be a Sonor Force 3000 with ultra sharp bearing edges right to the outside edge, again, you are limiting yourself to having a very "modern" sound no matter what heads you put on it. None of those shells will be able to reproduce the fat, warm tones of a C&C Player Date, for example.

So, yes, there are limitations to a "shell bank" but some people don't really care. They love the sound of the kit they have and want to have that sound in many more sizes. I have an approach of wanting my kits to all sound different and unique from eachother. I can't do that with a shell bank as they all have the same shell and edges cut on them. I want my small 4 piece maple kit to sound like a nice jazzy kit, so it gets edges cut into it to accommodate this. I want my Birch kit to have a beautifully neutral and clean sound that is great for recording, so I'm going to cut edges on them to match the older Recording Customs. I want my Maple/Walnut kit to be my modern rock/metal kit sound, so it gets the sharp 45 edges. I'm still trying to figure out what I want my beech kit to sound like. Probably similar to the Birch kit. Sort of a clean, neutral sound that records well and takes well to different heads.

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played my PHXs in a recording session last night and now I want to buy add-ons again. It's difficult, because the price of one PHX drum can buy an entire drum kit, depending on what you like. RickP knows what I mean, though.

15x16 floor is being made and will arrive around March-April. the next plan is to have a 9x13 tom and a 16x24 bass drum made. by the end of 2019, I should have 12-14-20 and 13-16-24 with the 10" tom floating between the two kits (whichever I want to use as a five pc).

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I currently have a colossal heap of shells, procured with the intent to do just this. The plan was...

RB Blonde: 12" and 13" racks, 14", 15", 16" floors, 18", 20", and 22" basses. (DropG badged 10", 14", and 15" racks in factory blonde snuck into this pile)
RB Tangerine: 10", 12", 13" racks, 14", 15", 16", 18" floors, 16", 18", 20", 22" basses, plus a snare because I like matching snares
SSB Burgundy: 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 15" racks, 14", 15", 16", 18" floors, 18", 20", 22", 24", 26" basses, plus snare
B/O Ludwig 3-ply (almost all clear maple interior) Mod Orange: 10", 12", 13", 14", 15" racks, 14", 16", 18" floors, 20", 22", 24", 26", 28" basses, plus JazzFake (those COW Bowtie-lugged Rockers) snare
B/O Ludwig assortment of 3 & 6 ply Green Sparkle: 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 15" racks, 14", 16", 18", 20" floors, 18", 20", 22", 24", 26", 28" basses, plus JazzFake snare

It's been held up so long by my wife insisting we buy "food" and "pay bills" and "fix our house" and other crazy talk that now I'm starting to second guess the wisdom of spending the price of an okay car on wrap, as well as de-wrapping drums that I know somebody somewhere is looking for. So I just play mismatched drums, and wrap 2-3 every once in a while, when I forget just how much I hate doing it.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Serious question Rick. Why would you want a shell bank of any drum, when you are going to sell them within the year?

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played my PHXs in a recording session last night and now I want to buy add-ons again. It's difficult, because the price of one PHX drum can buy an entire drum kit, depending on what you like. RickP knows what I mean, though.

15x16 floor is being made and will arrive around March-April. the next plan is to have a 9x13 tom and a 16x24 bass drum made. by the end of 2019, I should have 12-14-20 and 13-16-24 with the 10" tom floating between the two kits (whichever I want to use as a five pc).
Well that will be "nice".

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I currently have a colossal heap of shells, procured with the intent to do just this. The plan was...

RB Blonde: 12" and 13" racks, 14", 15", 16" floors, 18", 20", and 22" basses. (DropG badged 10", 14", and 15" racks in factory blonde snuck into this pile)
RB Tangerine: 10", 12", 13" racks, 14", 15", 16", 18" floors, 16", 18", 20", 22" basses, plus a snare because I like matching snares
SSB Burgundy: 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 15" racks, 14", 15", 16", 18" floors, 18", 20", 22", 24", 26" basses, plus snare
B/O Ludwig 3-ply (almost all clear maple interior) Mod Orange: 10", 12", 13", 14", 15" racks, 14", 16", 18" floors, 20", 22", 24", 26", 28" basses, plus JazzFake (those COW Bowtie-lugged Rockers) snare
B/O Ludwig assortment of 3 & 6 ply Green Sparkle: 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 15" racks, 14", 16", 18", 20" floors, 18", 20", 22", 24", 26", 28" basses, plus JazzFake snare

It's been held up so long by my wife insisting we buy "food" and "pay bills" and "fix our house" and other crazy talk that now I'm starting to second guess the wisdom of spending the price of an okay car on wrap, as well as de-wrapping drums that I know somebody somewhere is looking for. So I just play mismatched drums, and wrap 2-3 every once in a while, when I forget just how much I hate doing it.
PM me if you decide to sell off singles of your Mod Orange drums. I would like to add two more sizes to my 5-piece stack for more variety when I gig.
Stretch Riedle

R

RickP

I think there is some validity to this line of thought of you play different styles of music. A big shell bank of Bubinga shells may be amazing for metal and rock, but using those same drums for jazz or big band probably wont give you the right sound. Certainly having one shell bank of maple shells can get you pretty far with the sounds it can produce, but if that kit happens to be a Sonor Force 3000 with ultra sharp bearing edges right to the outside edge, again, you are limiting yourself to having a very "modern" sound no matter what heads you put on it. None of those shells will be able to reproduce the fat, warm tones of a C&C Player Date, for example.

So, yes, there are limitations to a "shell bank" but some people don't really care. They love the sound of the kit they have and want to have that sound in many more sizes. I have an approach of wanting my kits to all sound different and unique from eachother. I can't do that with a shell bank as they all have the same shell and edges cut on them. I want my small 4 piece maple kit to sound like a nice jazzy kit, so it gets edges cut into it to accommodate this. I want my Birch kit to have a beautifully neutral and clean sound that is great for recording, so I'm going to cut edges on them to match the older Recording Customs. I want my Maple/Walnut kit to be my modern rock/metal kit sound, so it gets the sharp 45 edges. I'm still trying to figure out what I want my beech kit to sound like. Probably similar to the Birch kit. Sort of a clean, neutral sound that records well and takes well to different heads.

Tommy you really have an interesting and valid point and until recently that was my thinking as well , I had certain kits for certain sounds and bands. I wanted to reduce the amount of kits I own to just a select few , with one main kit in multiple sizes that could cover the majority of my playing situations . We are all different and that is one of the cool things about these discussion boards . Some new ideas can give you new insight and make you rethink things . Zenghost with his idea with his J-M/INDe kit sparked my interest in a shell bank .

Last edited by a moderator:

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sort of stumbled into doing this. I bought a used Yamaha Club Custom kit a while ago (20/10/12/14/16/14 snare) and totally loved the sound of them. Kept looking through the local classifieds and found someone selling an orphan 8" tom in the same finish. Then almost a year later, someone selling a whole whack of drums in great condition, also in the same finish, and some sizes I didn't have yet. Wasn't planning on making a big drum purchase at that point, but since they'd been discontinued and I didn't know if I'd ever happy the opportunity to grab them again, I decided to go for it. Was also able to snag a bunch of Yamaha wood hoops on a clearout at a local music store. So now the original kit has wood hoops on it, and I also have the 8/10/12/13/14/16/18 toms with factory triple flanged hoops, and 22 and 24" basses (plus an additional 22 in a different finished). All of these drums except the 24" kick have been out on gigs - having so many of my favourite sounding drums has been really handy when I need two kits in different places.
I do have some other kits as well for slightly different sounds (a couple of vintage Slingy's in 20/12/14 and 22/13/16 configs, a Beech Custom bop kit, a Premier Birch/mahogany bop kit, and a beat-to-crap Tempus in 22/10/12/14/16). Options are good! :)

Latest posts