Shell repair

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought this drum here on DFO over a year ago, there was a thread on it but I cant find it. Anyway, thought I would share with you my method for fixing this 7x15" Slingerland shell. I is three ply, mahogany, poplar, mahogany. The drum must have been dropped on the strainer at some point, the shell is severely damaged.
So first I removed the entire outer ply, then cut out a section that spanned between two lugs but staggered the cuts in each ply about one inch. I then patched in a new piece of mahogany veneer to the inside, gluing and clamping it to the rings. Then fit and glued a piece of poplar that I planned down to 1/8" over the mahogany veneer. Last step was to wrap the entire shell with new mahogany veneer.
Here are a few pics of the process. I dont know if this drum is worth the effort or If I am going about this correctly or not but I had fun doing it.

Attachments

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This interests me so I'd love to know how it sounds when you have it completed

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments guys! I'll get you some more pictures here soon.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I have not been able to work on the drum much in the last few days but I did manage to stain the inside of the patch to a color close to the existing mahogany. And I did get the edges done also. Next up, big decision on whether or not to stain the outside or go natural, hope to get that done over the weekend.

Attachments

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Almost done, just need to clean the rods and put on the heads. I purchased a Gibralter 3 point throw off, she looks good.

Anyone have a recommendation for wires, its a 15" drum?

Attachments

pete2016

Reaction score
jccabinets said:
Almost done, just need to clean the rods and put on the heads. I purchased a Gibralter 3 point throw off, she looks good.

Anyone have a recommendation for wires, its a 15" drum?
Try Puresound P1520 it on, it cost about $21.45

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pete2016, thanks for the wire recommendation, I will look into those.

audiochurch, the drums sounds pretty good, i currently have a cheep 14" set of wires on it but plan to try the Puresounds. Im not good at describing sound but i would say its a warm sound, not pingy like metal drums. I really need to play with the tuning, been so busy lately its hard to find time to play.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I for one am not surprised at the quality and craftsmanship of the repair. Very good attention to detail. Looks fabulous.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
George, thank you so much for the compliment!

multijd, I could record it on my phone or my Zoom recorder but not sure how to get that file here. Plus I need to mess around with the tuning. I like the drum but so far I prefer my acrolite.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Brilliant work Jeff! Very nice...but then I'd expect nothing less.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Brilliant work Jeff! Very nice...but then I'd expect nothing less.
Thanks Kevin, that little conversation I had with you right before your gig got me going on this.

Latest posts