Shell woodwork repair & a wrap job needed in Maryland area

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a guy who can do shell dings and cosmetic work to drum shells and also do re-wraps? I have a dinged Renown 12" rack tom and and need a wrap job on another 12" rack tom.

I am in the Annapolis, MD area and will drive a 100 mile radius if I have to for good work.

As an aside, has anyone every taken a drum shell to a acoustic guitar luthier for wood work repairs?

I did email one local drum shop guy a week ago about wraps jobs, but I havent heard back from him. Yet.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This:

GretschTomRash_02.jpg

What I need is someone to fill it in and blend the finish and reseal it. The wood is not cracked, but he outer ply and finsh is rashed.

EDIT: I've reached out to a local furnature repair shop to see if this is something they can do. Still need a wrap guy...

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A quality luthier could repair the Renown drum in a heartbeat. Have you considered doing the rewrap yourself? It's not that hard to do, especially if you use tape-on wrap instead of glue-on.

GeeDeeEmm

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Either a Luthier, preferably one who does finish work on electrics or a good furniture repair shop.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was thinking Luthier too. The one i've been taking all my guitars too since the late 80's. Never thought to ask him. He did a top notch reapair to a ding on a acoustic that looked like it got hit by a ball peen hammer.

I did reach out to a furniture repair guy and even he said the same thing.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A quality luthier could repair the Renown drum in a heartbeat. Have you considered doing the rewrap yourself? It's not that hard to do, especially if you use tape-on wrap instead of glue-on.

GeeDeeEmm
You might be onto something. Black Diamond Pearl wrap cant be that hard to come by.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was thinking Luthier too. The one i've been taking all my guitars too since the late 80's. Never thought to ask him. He did a top notch reapair to a ding on a acoustic that looked like it got hit by a ball peen hammer.

I did reach out to a furniture repair guy and even he said the same thing.
My luthier just called me to come pickup my guitar and he said...probably not. Bastage!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cabinet guy might be able to fix that finish, too. As for rewrapping, I've done it. As long as the wrap is cut to size, it's not hard.