Sheryl Crow - Fred Eltringham rocking Ludwig Standards

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just on Today Show was Sheryl Crow as musical guest. Her drummer, Fred Eltringham, was playing a Charcoal wrap Ludwig Standard set. Nice to see some vintage drums making the national tour scene.

More on https://fredeltringhamdrummer.com/ , This guy has an extensive resume, that my ignorance was not aware of him.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
His long-time drum tech is a member here. They have heavily modified all of Fred's vintage kits (mostly Standards) for touring. Fred is a phenomenal drummer.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was a fine mix for TV - the drums sounded great! Good bass drum thump, the snare cut through, cymbals were clear, etc., plus Fred is a bad*ss musician.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those Ludwig kits Fred plays, especially the one when he does Nashville Skyline are some of the most excellent sounding I've ever heard.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Great drummer. I used to see him in Boston with the Gigolo Aunts and Jack Drag.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Sheryl's gone a long way into country from her "Soak Up the Sun" days. The harmonica, the bassist in the Billy Jack hat, the collab with Jason Isbell and the Dixie Chicks' drummer!

Shrewd move at a time when the country crowd is still buying CDs and isn't messin' with that streaming stuff.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, and I just discovered he was on one of my favorite discs - Tears for Fears "Everybody Loves a Happy Ending"!

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a drum lot from an old Rock-a-Billy place that shut down, in it was an older Oyster Ludwig Standard kit that someone had painstakingly decorated with very thin tape in kind of like an cosmic pueblo pattern. The inside was coated with some grey paint, why I did it I don't know but I painstakingly sanded all that grey interior off all four drums, gigged it for a few years then sold it on eBay. I really liked that kit.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sheryl's gone a long way into country from her "Soak Up the Sun" days. The harmonica, the bassist in the Billy Jack hat, the collab with Jason Isbell and the Dixie Chicks' drummer!

Shrewd move at a time when the country crowd is still buying CDs and isn't messin' with that streaming stuff.
Actually if you listen to her records, even the new one, shes still very much rock and roll. And if you truly think "country audiences" don't stream music then you are just being goofy and assuming all country music fans are 70 year old white guys farming in Nebraska.

Latest posts