Shipping Concerns

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Between Dan's recent problem with the cracked bass drum (courtesy of FedEx), and my own recent problem of ordering a computer on Amazon and it being lost in a transfer from FedEx to UPS. I'm getting a little paranoid about my new DaVille snare being shipped. I'm sure Terry is incredibly careful with his packing, but it really seems like we should go the extra mile to protect our valuables from the dangers of transit. In addition to his packing, I was considering buying an Ahead snare bag and sending it to Terry. The idea is that he jams the snare in there, then adds all his extra packing around it. Do you think that's sufficient packing? Do you recommend a different case that you feel is more padded?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We were talking about making a road trip out to get it...but with Covid, it's just not worth the risk.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you guys considered sending stuff via Freight? I think it's cheaper and safer. I believe these smaller freight companies have less volume than say FedEx, UPS & USPS which means they must be more careful preserving what you send. The 4 pc Classic Maple's that I got from Ludwig recently was shipped from the factory in NC to Central Florida via freight. It was a small company called Central freight lines. The boxes came on their own individual pallet and it was fully shrinkwrapped. The shrinkwrap had been installed by the actual freight company. They arrived absolutely intact and I requested to pick them up at their local terminal here. I went with my pickup and the person loaded the whole pallet onto my truck and took them home. I was extremely pleased!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this scares me..I need to ship a whole kit (nested) from CA to NY next week. I’ll go crazy with packing and get insurance on it...I am going with USPS.
USPS will be much more expensive than fedex or ups, and depending on the size they may not take the box. Remove all the hardware from the bass drum.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you guys considered sending stuff via Freight? I think it's cheaper and safer. I believe these smaller freight companies have less volume than say FedEx, UPS & USPS which means they must be more careful preserving what you send. The 4 pc Classic Maple's that I got from Ludwig recently was shipped from the factory in NC to Central Florida via freight. It was a small company called Central freight lines. The boxes came on their own individual pallet and it was fully shrinkwrapped. The shrinkwrap had been installed by the actual freight company. They arrived absolutely intact and I requested to pick them up at their local terminal here. I went with my pickup and the person loaded the whole pallet onto my truck and took them home. I was extremely pleased!
That's a good idea since this is actual "freight" sized stuff. I've also heard good things about shipping with Greyhound Bus.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard that too about Greyhound. IN fact I think it was from someone here on the forum.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book rates... box 24x24x20 69 lbs. NYC to LA (residence)

USPS $202.35
UPS with EASY promo code $147.27
Fedex 148 (with account $88.71

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
USPS will we much more expensive than fedex or ups, and depending on the size they may not take the box. Remove all the hardware from the bass drum.
Really? Fedex And UPS are usually more expensive based on my experience. USPS sums up to $200 from CA to NY for two boxes, havent tried Fedex..
I am gonna nest 12 in the 18 one box - 25lbf max
10 in the 14 second box - 25lbf max

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Fedex And UPS are usually more expensive based on my experience. USPS sums up to $200 from CA to NY for two boxes, havent tried Fedex..
If the buyer is using reverb, ebay or paypal, the print shipping label is often discounted considerably. Compare UPS and Fedex. Both will be cheaper than USPS. If you're not using any of those, sign up with an account and credit card with both UPS and Fedex.
You can safely ship that whole set in one box if you want, but although pricier, shipping in two boxes will be a bit easier. Still, remove all the hardware from the outside shells...all of it. And as mentioned in other threads, pack tightly so that the interior drums cannot move around.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The white elephant in the room is most
(As in 99% of them) damaged packages are due to insufficient packing jobs.

On forums people don’t want to offend forum buddies so they usually don’t point out bad packing jobs and instead join in on blame the shipper game.

It has been posted ad nauseam on every forum in the universe by the experienced packers- you must pack to survive a 20’ drop.

The manufacturers know this and engineer their packaging accordingly. Mainly- the item cannot move inside the box and the shock from drops must be absorbed away from the item.

If the shipping companies truly handled packages in a terrible manner- no major retailer, manufacturer or wholesale company would ever use them.

Fed Ex has detailed .pdf packing guides- anyone who ships anything should read them. If you follow their guidelines- it is very hard for them to deny a damage claim.

To the O/P- I think you are over thinking it and are creating solutions to a problem that doesn’t really exist. If a drum company (even a boutique sized one) cannot properly pack a drum for shipment- would you really want to buy something from them? I would think Daville knows what they are doing. If anything- trying to accommodate your bag may screw up their normal packing procedure (i.e box size and packing material) which in turn may jeopardize the package even more so.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To the O/P- I think you are over thinking it and are creating solutions to a problem that doesn’t really exist. If a drum company (even a boutique sized one) cannot properly pack a drum for shipment- would you really want to buy something from them? I would think Daville knows what they are doing. If anything- trying to accommodate your bag may screw up their normal packing procedure (i.e box size and packing material) which in turn may jeopardize the package even more so.
Excellent point. Thank you, hadn't considered that.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that UPS & FedEx are usually more expensive with small packages but cheaper with big stuff compared to USPS. USPS is more expensive with oversized packages. And I'm pretty sure that USPS has a size limit as well. I can't imagine my mailman unloading a bass drum from his little postal truck, Lol!!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
And also NO drum companies that are drop-shipping, or whatever you call it, are nesting drums. One drum per box, thank you very much.
I'll now share some nightmarish packaging by sellers to me. Fortunately, all of the patients survived, but none were actual drums. These were cymbals and bags, hardware. This first one is what happens when you "cut down a box to save money." It contained an early-series Bosphorus 21" Masters. I trembled in fear while opening it. The thin little slits you see further down are minimal cymbal "coverings" - I can't call them packaging - for other one-of-a-kind vintage Bosphorus cymbals. Yes, it's not always the shipping companies' fault.

Attachments

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Treviso is the one who knows about Greyhound shipping.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And also NO drum companies that are drop-shipping, or whatever you call it, are nesting drums. One drum per box, thank you very much.
I'll now share some nightmarish packaging by sellers to me. Fortunately, all of the patients survived, but none were actual drums. These were cymbals and bags, hardware. This first one is what happens when you "cut down a box to save money." It contained an early-series Bosphorus 21" Masters. I trembled in fear while opening it. The thin little slits you see further down are minimal cymbal "coverings" - I can't call them packaging - for other one-of-a-kind vintage Bosphorus cymbals. Yes, it's not always the shipping companies' fault.
I bought a few new Mapex Saturn sets that were nested

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The shells I have bought from Terry have 1/2" thick rigid foam insulation inside to reinforce the internal box structure. Then foam packing peanuts all around the drum to keep it from shifting anywhere. The boxes are relatively small and easy for anyone to carry or stack vs an awkward and heavy 26" bass drum box. I wouldn't worry.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a few new Mapex Saturn sets that were nested
I actually like nesting with rigid foam surrounding the floor tom within the bass drum. Not only does it keep the inside drum from moving, but makes the bass drum shell more resistant to any possible "blows" it may take through its shopping journey since the shell can't deflect and potentially split/crack.

To each their own. Obviously the less nesting, the more boxes and lighter weight of each of those boxes, but more risk for lost packages.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe that UPS & FedEx are usually more expensive with small packages but cheaper with big stuff compared to USPS. USPS is more expensive with oversized packages. And I'm pretty sure that USPS has a size limit as well. I can't imagine my mailman unloading a bass drum from his little postal truck, Lol!!
I got send a full heavy kit with USPS. No lug removal required.

It came in two boxes with the heavy rims.

From Nashville, US to Amsterdam, EU for 220 USD

BB09D0E0-D422-483E-9D49-8AB8DB743D75.jpeg

I got shipped a kit with freight from Germany to The Netherlands too, and that was (although more expensive, even it stayed in the EU) indeed the best packed kit I ever got.

5E22597F-B6F8-4845-8D4E-9F828B47ACF5.jpeg
8B11F60A-22A5-4C7B-91F1-F51088F66F6F.jpeg
4F27E4C2-EAED-46FC-BC61-D8781D4A5FA3.jpeg

Last edited: