Shipping Concerns

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got send a full heavy kit with USPS. No lug removal required.

From Nashville, US to Amsterdam, EU for 220 USD
USPS domestic packages here have a size and weight limit. 70 pounds weight and 130 inches of girth. That's a box that's 26"x26"x26. I don't know if international has the same limit. I just checked with USPS and one 30 pound box of the largest allowable size across the country is $202. That means that your whole DW kit here would have been a lot more than $220. You got a good rate!
LRod

Last edited:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
USPS domestic packages here have a size and weight limit. 70 pounds weight and 130 inches of girth. That's a box that's 26"x26"x26. I don't know if international has the same limit. I just checked with USPS and one 30 pound box of the largest allowable size across the country is $202. That means that your whole DW kit here would have been a lot more than $220. You got a good rate!
LRod
It was 2017 so prices do have come up And so might the rules got stricter? And they might had an account with USPS.

That time will never come back im afraid :(

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Book rates... box 24x24x20 69 lbs. NYC to LA (residence)

USPS $202.35
UPS with EASY promo code $147.27
Fedex 148 (with account $88.71
I will look into fedex, that’s cheap..what’s the deal with an account? What type of account is it? Do you pay annual fees or something? I want to have 2 boxes just to be safe.

dingaling

Reaction score
I’ve never had an issue shipping before. Receiving is a different story. But everything I’ve sent over all the years has made it to the final destination fine. I’ve used them all
I prefer ups personally and fed ex second. USPS as a last resort unless it’s a very small box.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Starts to make you wonder if "Impact Shipping Labels" is a feasible idea for consumer shipping. I wonder how much they run/where to get them. A few minutes googling showed mostly results that were clearly aimed at large businesses rather than buying onesy/twosies.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
The white elephant in the room is most
(As in 99% of them) damaged packages are due to insufficient packing jobs.

On forums people don’t want to offend forum buddies so they usually don’t point out bad packing jobs and instead join in on blame the shipper game.

It has been posted ad nauseam on every forum in the universe by the experienced packers- you must pack to survive a 20’ drop.

The manufacturers know this and engineer their packaging accordingly. Mainly- the item cannot move inside the box and the shock from drops must be absorbed away from the item.

If the shipping companies truly handled packages in a terrible manner- no major retailer, manufacturer or wholesale company would ever use them.

Fed Ex has detailed .pdf packing guides- anyone who ships anything should read them. If you follow their guidelines- it is very hard for them to deny a damage claim.

To the O/P- I think you are over thinking it and are creating solutions to a problem that doesn’t really exist. If a drum company (even a boutique sized one) cannot properly pack a drum for shipment- would you really want to buy something from them? I would think Daville knows what they are doing. If anything- trying to accommodate your bag may screw up their normal packing procedure (i.e box size and packing material) which in turn may jeopardize the package even more so.
I agree with all of this, and don't nest drums. That's asking for it.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think that if you ship a snare drum inside a drum bag and put in a good padded box, you won't have a problem with any of the shippers. Where it scares me is the larger bass drum boxes... They seam to be in the habit of dropping them enough to bust the shell.
Why don't you good people start shipping with Greyhound Bus shipping? They are about 1/4-1/3 of the price and they do an excellent job of getting your drums from point A to point B without incidence. Stop using UPS and FedEx! Aside from being downright arseholes who NEVER pay out their insurance claims...they are crazy expensive! It's funny that they will take your money every time, but never pay out their claims. Go Greyhound! You won't regret it!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think that if you ship a snare drum inside a drum bag and put in a good padded box, you won't have a problem with any of the shippers. Where it scares me is the larger bass drum boxes... They seam to be in the habit of dropping them enough to bust the shell.
Yes. When I got my new Gretsch kit, I watched the UPS driver take the boxes out of the truck. With me standing there watching him, he still dropped the bass drum box about 2 feet onto the truck cart....like it was no big deal.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. When I got my new Gretsch kit, I watched the UPS driver take the boxes out of the truck. With me standing there watching him, he still dropped the bass drum box about 2 feet onto the truck cart....like it was no big deal.
See, this is exactly what I am talking about. Now, consider that the OP nested all the drums together...all of that weight and inertia ...it blew out the thin wall of that bass drum like nothing.

nylontip

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the problem doesn't lie solely on the carriers. It is evident that they're rough in the handling of our precious cargo. With that said, many of the drums are very poorly packaged to begin with.
Why, because to pack it correctly, it takes time, an extra cost and proper packing materials.
Ample amount of packing material is needed as well as a heavy grade cardboard box. A good quality 3m heavy duty roll of tape as well. Not a dollar store brand. This my friends, is an additional cost to which most shippers/sellers do not want to burden and furthermore, to pack it securely, especially a bass drum or full kit, it takes time, maybe an hour or more for a full kit.
Try to keep the weight manageable as well.
I use UPS exclusively and have shipped a number of drums and kits from the east coast to the west coast and never had an issue.
Bass drum hoops have to be removed when shipping. They are no doubt the weakest point and are arguably, the most prone to damage. (After I remove them, as an extra precaution, I wrap them and slide them back over the shell, then use the brown foam pipe insulation from home depot and put it around the whole bearing edge and hoop. (both sides) The extra 4.00 it costs is well worth it)
I realize the overall cost of packing materials are not cheap, but it beats the alternative.
I know, I'm preaching to the choir, as most you understand the importance of a well package drum, which if done correctly should endure the rigors of shipping and handling.
Golden rule: ship it as if you wanted it to be shipped.
All the best going forward!

Last edited:

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the gig bag idea is a good one.

My other input is: stay away from Fedex. Yes, all the companies commit sins, but, it seems FedEx commits more than the others. Use UPS, use your gig bag idea, and pray hard. :)

Acidwash

Reaction score
All three companies are pretty sketch. Usually a USPS guy, but they have really slipped on accountability lately. But perhaps I am just sore because BOTH sides of a recent fairly high value cymbal trade are in the wind right now. Both supposed to be delivered on Thursday, both marked “in transit” with no scanning update for several days. And this is a Sacramento to Los Angeles area trade. In the wind

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I watched the UPS guy this week from my Ring camera. He launched my delivery from about 20 yards to my door thinking he was a quarterback. Luckily it was just a bag with an instrument cable. No joke!
It was a different driver than the usual one that comes. The usual one is very careful.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
All three companies are pretty sketch. Usually a USPS guy, but they have really slipped on accountability lately. But perhaps I am just sore because BOTH sides of a recent fairly high value cymbal trade are in the wind right now. Both supposed to be delivered on Thursday, both marked “in transit” with no scanning update for several days. And this is a Sacramento to Los Angeles area trade. In the wind
Don't be surprised if it gets delivered without any updates. Apparently that happens. Last week I saw the same thing on a shipment I was expecting. It was just stuck in one place for days. Suddenly the package was delivered to me and still showed in transit.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the gig bag idea is a good one.

My other input is: stay away from Fedex. Yes, all the companies commit sins, but, it seems FedEx commits more than the others. Use UPS, use your gig bag idea, and pray hard. :)
I'm in total agreement with this. All the shipping issues I've ever had have been with FedEx. They are the cheapest between the 3 in ground shipments but they are also the worst.

Reddy

Reaction score
I watched the UPS guy this week from my Ring camera. He launched my delivery from about 20 yards to my door thinking he was a quarterback. Luckily it was just a bag with an instrument cable. No joke!
It was a different driver than the usual one that comes. The usual one is very careful.
This package arrived from UPS this morning. It arrived in my local terminal on 5/31. I’ve already been refunded because it would not show up. There is a 19” 2002 crash in there. Can’t wait to see what it looks like!
2B9DFA51-5BE5-41E4-8E36-F495675B6E92.jpeg

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
This package arrived from UPS this morning. It arrived in my local terminal on 5/31. I’ve already been refunded because it would not show up. There is a 19” 2002 crash in there. Can’t wait to see what it looks like! View attachment 450539
Holy cow! That's gotta break all the shipping damage records! Man I really hope that 2002 is fine. Refund+good cymbal=score!

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why don't you good people start shipping with Greyhound Bus shipping? They are about 1/4-1/3 of the price and they do an excellent job of getting your drums from point A to point B without incidence. Stop using UPS and FedEx! Aside from being downright arseholes who NEVER pay out their insurance claims...they are crazy expensive! It's funny that they will take your money every time, but never pay out their claims. Go Greyhound! You won't regret it!
I think the only problem with Greyhound is that shipments need to be dropped off and picked up at a terminal, not picked up from and delivered to your house like the other three. Sounds to me like it would be worth the extra effort, though.