Shipping cymbals

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit OT, but I thought those of you here that sell often might know: I have a set of cymbals in a soft bag in another state I was going to ask
a friend to bring them to the UPS store and have them box and ship them to me. probably have to double box. Hi Hats, ride and two crashes.
What do you think that might cost aprx? a couple hundred?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on the distance, but probably $50-100. Once you hit a certain package size, weight doesn't really matter.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid 35 bucks to ship one 20" ride from NY to California. And it was late!

Distance matters. Shipping is according to how far the cymbals are from you. But I'll venture between packing and shipping, about $130-150, more if it's cross country.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, signing up for a service will quite drastically reduce your rates. Shipping is bonkers right now, and apparently (I got the memo late) nobody just pays the crazy ‘walk in off the street’ prices, you gotta sign up.

They’re gonna hose you for boxes, and bubble wrap and tape, and the service. Maybe you could instruct your friend on boxing them up? Save you a bunch. You might even do better having your friend go to a cool local drum shop (you could call ahead) and having them pack and ship on your dime. They’ll get a good rate and have cymbal specific packing experience and materials.

If you do go the “Here, UPS. Pack these and ship them please” route,$100 to $150-ish wouldn’t be too far off. If you guesstimate the size of the box you can get a quote for the shipping. For a 22x22x10 box with 12lbs of cymbal in it, FedEx wants $86 coast to coast. Figure $40 shipping materials (if you have them do it) - $125?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
There must be videos on line on how to box up cymbals. Get some bubble wrap and entomb the group of cymbals stacked together. Tight so they don't move.
Then reinforce 4 to 6" of each side with folded card board. Tape all that up tight too. Then insert that bundle into a 22x22x6 (or smaller) box. 24x24x6 if you have a 22".
Total weight 15-18 lbs. It's far from rocket science to wrap up cymbals. You could probably stick postage on a cymbal and it will get to the destination 99% of the time....undamaged.
You can buy a Walmart box for $2. Tape for $3. Bubble wrap for $5-$10. But packing materials for infrequent shippers are easily found at home......old boxes and cardboard, old newspaper
or styrafoam or foam for cushioning.

$70-$80 going 3000 miles across the USA with insurance USPS. And you can do a lot better than that if it's only going 500-1000 miles.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could probably stick postage on a cymbal and it will get to the destination 99% of the time....undamaged.
I’ve received several of those, all fine lol. Seriously, pretty close. Like two pieces of cardboard taped at the edges with the cymbal poking out around the circumference. Blown out pizza boxes. Brown paper wrap. A cardboard taco made of a large shoebox. Sometimes you just open the door and laugh, but never had one arrive hurt. (Except a box set of brand new K’s - all just floating in the box! The bells all abraded each other so the whole set has a little ring of rash on the bells. Grrrrrr. Thanks Zildjian, they’re only cymbals)

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Same here. Received many pizza boxes with loose cymbal(s) inside. And some sticking out of the package. Yet, never even a scratch or ding on any of them.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There must be videos on line on how to box up cymbals. Get some bubble wrap and entomb the group of cymbals stacked together. Tight so they don't move.
Then reinforce 4 to 6" of each side with folded card board. Tape all that up tight too. Then insert that bundle into a 22x22x6 (or smaller) box. 24x24x6 if you have a 22".
Total weight 15-18 lbs. It's far from rocket science to wrap up cymbals. You could probably stick postage on a cymbal and it will get to the destination 99% of the time....undamaged.
You can buy a Walmart box for $2. Tape for $3. Bubble wrap for $5-$10. But packing materials for infrequent shippers are easily found at home......old boxes and cardboard, old newspaper
or styrafoam or foam for cushioning.

$70-$80 going 3000 miles across the USA with insurance USPS. And you can do a lot better than that if it's only going 500-1000 miles.
thanks. that is what I would do if I was back east where my cymbals are, but I don't want to ask a friend to go through the hassle, and more likely than not
it wouldn't turn out well. I'm ok paying UPS to pack and ship if it's around $150

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, signing up for a service will quite drastically reduce your rates. Shipping is bonkers right now, and apparently (I got the memo late) nobody just pays the crazy ‘walk in off the street’ prices, you gotta sign up.

They’re gonna hose you for boxes, and bubble wrap and tape, and the service. Maybe you could instruct your friend on boxing them up? Save you a bunch. You might even do better having your friend go to a cool local drum shop (you could call ahead) and having them pack and ship on your dime. They’ll get a good rate and have cymbal specific packing experience and materials.

If you do go the “Here, UPS. Pack these and ship them please” route,$100 to $150-ish wouldn’t be too far off. If you guesstimate the size of the box you can get a quote for the shipping. For a 22x22x10 box with 12lbs of cymbal in it, FedEx wants $86 coast to coast. Figure $40 shipping materials (if you have them do it) - $125?
thanks for the info Drumbumcrumb. I'm ok with paying that for them to pack and ship. I don't want to bother my friend, and likely his packing job wouldn't turn out so well

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If he's shipping with your cymbals in a cymbal bag he might not need to double box everything. The bag should provide enough padding if he uses a box that doesn't have excess space for things to slide around. If the largest cymbals is a 22 ride then a 24x4 box should be perfect. If it's a 20 the a 22x4 etc.
No need to spend money for the extra size and weight.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only do you way overpay for UPS stores to pack...they also charge more for UPS shipping than you do if you print the label online and use the discount code.
If you print the label through a PayPal sale, eBay, Facebook marketplace, or reverb it's also a lot cheaper.
UPS stores are not UPS...they're independently owned franchises that can charge whatever they want.
You can safely pack and ship a set of cymbals across the country for $30.
Guessing if a UPS store does it, it will be over $100.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shipped a cymbal to Vin using that one website. I think it was under $40 from California to New York. But I didn't use it again. I just didn't like the way it was set up. You can get free UPS and FedEx account through Reverb. Definitely is cheaper then walking into the UPS store and certainly letting them package your stuff. I'm guessing it's going to cost somewhere between 40 and $50 plus maybe 20 bucks per each additional so you may be able to pull it off for $100. Your buddy needs to package the cymbals though. It's not hard to do and you can get bubble wrap anywhere. You can buy a box from Home Depot for a few bucks or the U-Haul store as well as get bubble wrap for a few bucks. You can buy packaging tape even from the dollar store and just use half a roll packing those puppies nice and tight in the bubble wrap and secure within the box and I would suggest you cut the box down to make it as small as possible to cover the entire package. Just keep using clear packaging tape until it's secure without shifting. Totally doable. Good luck.

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shipped a cymbal to Vin using that one website. I think it was under $40 from California to New York. But I didn't use it again. I just didn't like the way it was set up. You can get free UPS and FedEx account through Reverb. Definitely is cheaper then walking into the UPS store and certainly letting them package your stuff. I'm guessing it's going to cost somewhere between 40 and $50 plus maybe 20 bucks per each additional so you may be able to pull it off for $100. Your buddy needs to package the cymbals though. It's not hard to do and you can get bubble wrap anywhere. You can buy a box from Home Depot for a few bucks or the U-Haul store as well as get bubble wrap for a few bucks. You can buy packaging tape even from the dollar store and just use half a roll packing those puppies nice and tight in the bubble wrap and secure within the box and I would suggest you cut the box down to make it as small as possible to cover the entire package. Just keep using clear packaging tape until it's secure without shifting. Totally doable. Good luck.
The ShippingEasy setup ain’t that bad. I think it’s made for more complex users like small business. Lots of features I don’t use. But I managed to save a shipping profile for a 24x24x5 box size, which cuts down on data entry.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time I shipped a full set of pies I sandwiched them with cardboard, then ran a bolt with fender washers and nut to secure them together. That kept them from sloshing around. See if your pal can at least do that before handing them over to a store packing service.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've shipped out eight boxes of cymbals in the past seven days to locations all across the nation.
None of them cost more than 21 dollars ... most hovered around 13 dollars.
Two boxes had multiple cymbals (2 in one and 3 in the other) and hit the upper regions.
Not sure why you guys are paying so much for shipping.
That's some insane charges up there.
As to the packing ... I use previously received boxes. When those are gone, I use U-Haul boxes cut down to size.
My supply costs hit about 60 per year for bubble wrap and sheet packing paper and tape. I charge 20-30 per cymbal for shipping. That more than covers my supplies, time, and fuel. If it's too lopsided, I will send something cool inside the box as a thanks.
Bubble wrap around the cymbal secured with tape - packing paper to take up space - cardboard strips rolled and taped into circles for the corners - sheet cardboard for the bottom and top next to cymbal for a bit of added protection. Tape up the box and shoot it out.
Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've shipped out eight boxes of cymbals in the past seven days to locations all across the nation.
None of them cost more than 21 dollars ... most hovered around 13 dollars.
Two boxes had multiple cymbals (2 in one and 3 in the other) and hit the upper regions.
Not sure why you guys are paying so much for shipping.
That's some insane charges up there.
As to the packing ... I use previously received boxes. When those are gone, I use U-Haul boxes cut down to size.
My supply costs hit about 60 per year for bubble wrap and sheet packing paper and tape. I charge 20-30 per cymbal for shipping. That more than covers my supplies, time, and fuel. If it's too lopsided, I will send something cool inside the box as a thanks.
Bubble wrap around the cymbal secured with tape - packing paper to take up space - cardboard strips rolled and taped into circles for the corners - sheet cardboard for the bottom and top next to cymbal for a bit of added protection. Tape up the box and shoot it out.
Good luck and hope it works out for you.
I agree. Takes almost no time to sign up for an account and get a discount code. Also, it's important not to use boxes that are too oversized. A 20" cymbal can travel safely in a 22" cube box cut down to 4 or 5" high.