Shipping from the UK

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alright, practical question here:

I bought a couple cymbals from an eBay seller in the U.K. He had international shipping listed as an option, so it shouldn’t have caused any problems. But he just wrote me and said that he had looked into it further and all the shipping companies were going to charge him way too much, so I could either arrange it myself or he could refund me the money.

I’ve never arranged a shipment from the U.K., so I don’t even know where to begin. I do really want these cymbals, so that’s why I’m looking into options at all, although I am pretty irritated that he’s trying to reneg on this.

Doesn’t eBay offer some kind of international shipping rate itself? Or was that Reverb?

Anyway, anyone with experience with this sort of thing? Maybe someone in the U.K.?

Santos

Reaction score
Hi Dogmanaut.

I've shipped cymbals (and lots of other stuff) many times from the UK to the US and when it's done properly it can be expensive.

Anything weighing over 2kg is where international shipping from the UK gets pricey. And of course there's the insurance on top, which can get crazy expensive.

However, it's not the seller who is paying for the shipping, right?

If you're paying to have your items shipped to your address then it's up to you to decide whether or not the shipping is expensive, not him.

There's bound to be a way this can get resolved so you can get the cymbals!

I'm running errands today as my wife is in hospital :( so I might not be able to fire off replies as quickly as usual. But feel free to pm me and I''l get back to you ASAP.

Best -

LS

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd just get a refund. Apparently, the seller had no idea how much shipping was going to be. I'd be gracious and just cut him some slack.

A couple of years ago I met a young English girl that was a member of another drum forum. I decided to send her a Sabian Ride cymbal to help her get started. Free. When I went to the PO, I was shocked to learn that it was going to cost me almost $60 to send the cymbal!! Sent it anyway, but I will not do that again.

GeeDeeEmm

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought it on eBay, and he had a shipping rate listed — about £25 per cymbal. (Free shipping within the U.K., on the other hand.)

I was buying two, so I asked him beforehand if he could just do combined shipping. He said, “Yep, that would be better for me, as well, so I’d be happy to offer that.”

I can see now this is not going to cost me the cool £25 he initially indicated, and that’s whatever, but I am not necessarily ok paying more than the £50 or so that I would’ve paid if they were going to two separate addresses. I think beyond that, he messed up and underestimated what it would cost. I’ve done it, too, shipping within the states. It sucks. But it’s not justification to reneg on a deal, IMO.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know that shipping prices can jump up without notice and guessing this has whats happened here, Ask him how much it will be to ship .

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We got it sorted out. I told him I wasn’t comfortable paying more than the £50, and he was cool about it.

Not to start another topic, but that kind of thing is a line in the sand for me — I had a guy once try to shake me down for more money because he wasn’t happy with the final price on a kit I won in an auction, so he refused to ship it to me unless I threw in another $100. Then he went and re-listed the drums before he’d even refunded me my money, so I had to open a complaint against him. So just in general, whenever someone ups the price on something by claiming shipping was more expensive than they thought (or on CL when you agree to buy something and you’re en route to pick it up and then they’re like, “Dude, I’ve gotten SO much interest in this that I realized I have to ask you to pay $X more. Are you cool with that?”), even in the situations where it seems potentially reasonable, I have to say no.