"Shock The Monkey" Peter Gabriel

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Great song and video...also a great live player with a great band.
I saw him live at least 2x. 1st time the band marched on stage from the rear of the theatre...to Rhythm of the Heat...one of the coolest openings ever.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was compiling my 80’s iPod playlist I was really surprised how many good song Gabriel put out in that era. This is a particularly good one.

The great Gerry Morotta on drums.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I don't like this song, but find it odd that a legend grew up around Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" being about him witnessing someone refusing to help a drowning man, but this monkey song doesn't get interpreted at all.

According to Wikipedia, this is what it's about: Due to its title and the content of the video, the song is frequently assumed to be either an animal rights song or a reference to the famous experiments by Stanley Milgram described in his book Obedience to Authority.[4] It is neither, although another Gabriel song, "We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)", from his 1986 album So, does deal directly with Milgram. Gabriel himself has described "Shock the Monkey" as "a love song" that examines how jealousy can release one's basic instincts; the monkey is not a literal monkey, but a metaphor for one's feelings of jealousy.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Saw Peter in support of this album @ NYC's Palladium. I was on my Honeymoon with my first wife, 8th row tix where gifted to us from coworkers !!! Never forgot, the Palladium had bars serving on the side of the orchestra. Was getting the lady a drink when the Band broke into this and the bartender pushed the drinks off the serving bar jumped up on it and danced like a monkey !!

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great song and video...also a great live player with a great band.
I saw him live at least 2x. 1st time the band marched on stage from the rear of the theatre...to Rhythm of the Heat...one of the coolest openings ever.
i saw the coolest ending ever, when the whole band went into a suitcase and he carried it offstage to the next show.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i saw the coolest ending ever, when the whole band went into a suitcase and he carried it offstage to the next show.
That is the ending of ''Secret World'' from the Secret World Tour.

One of my biggest inspirations in music with one of my biggest inspirations on drums, Manu Katché.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I've always felt that this song was a very effective hook wasted on a bunch of filler verses. Does the entire song ever pop in your head?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always felt that this song was a very effective hook wasted on a bunch of filler verses.
Yeah I like the tune a lot, always dig it when it comes on the radio, but the lyrics are dreadfully lazy. With a lot of pop songs I just pretend I can't speak the language; it helps me enjoy the tunes.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah I like the tune a lot, always dig it when it comes on the radio, but the lyrics are dreadfully lazy. With a lot of pop songs I just pretend I can't speak the language; it helps me enjoy the tunes.

Do lyrics always need to be profound or brilliant -thought provoking ? I don't think so .

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There’s a wide range in between “dreadfully lazy” and “profound”. Even dumb fun lyrics about girls or cars can be clever or well written.

Latest posts