header.nohb.html

Shopping in a "Real" Drum Shop

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn’t have even purchased the pedal there if I was treated like you were.
My experience was quite different first time I visited DCP to just look around and check out some Sonor kits for a “possible” future purchase. Didn’t buy anything that day and there was no one hovering over me which was nice actually. Took my time browsing kits, cymbals, pedals, etc. Asked a few questions to the staff since Shane wasn’t there that day…

Several months later after speaking to various drum shops, I decided to make my biggest drum purchase ever with Shane at DCP…

Everyone walking in the door of a business should be treated like a potential customer or future customer…

For example, I remember walking into my local BMW dealer several years ago. I see a leftover 330Ci and ask the sales guy since it’s leftover from last year what incentives are they offering? He literally laughed and walked away from my wife and I as we were checking out the car. We quickly walked out and I emailed another BMW dealer a few miles away, he had the exact car in stock but current model year and even provided an incentive…love that car ;-)

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
If they sized him up, they sized him up wrong. Their prophecy was self-fulfilling.
Part of sales is gambling on a customer. Every time I "sized" someone up, I was wrong, wrong, wrong! You have to remember when you're selling jewelry, luxury cars, musical instruments, and the like is that you are selling a customer something that they want, not need. You don't have to enjoy the purchase experience of groceries, but if you're thinking of purchasing a Rolex, a Bimmer, or a higher end drum, you want a bit of respect for the fact that it's a large outlay of cash and for them to make the purchase as easy as possible.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We just did a big road trip and ended up at a soul food place in Memphis. Turns out Memphis Drum Shop was right next door. They were closed.

Did get to go to Forks Drum Closet in Nashville and they were great. It was busy and Halloween and they were closing early. Still got a bunch of help with snare wires.

Revival Drum Shop in Portland OR is always great.

I don’t think you can write off all drum shops because you had a bad experience in one. Could have even just been an off day. I would much rather buy gear from imperfect drum enthusiasts than from the evil empire that is Amazon.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Since we're providing stories about stores we like and have treated us well.....

About a month ago I went to Stebal Drum, east of Cleveland.
I was looking for a used snare drum stand, hi-hat cymbals and stand. The owner, John Stebal, very graciously spent about an hour helping me find what I needed.
I've been there several times over the years and they've always been very friendly and very helpful. They will always get my business.

Last edited:

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
We just did a big road trip and ended up at a soul food place in Memphis. Turns out Memphis Drum Shop was right next door. They were closed.

Did get to go to Forks Drum Closet in Nashville and they were great. It was busy and Halloween and they were closing early. Still got a bunch of help with snare wires.

Revival Drum Shop in Portland OR is always great.

I don’t think you can write off all drum shops because you had a bad experience in one. Could have even just been an off day. I would much rather buy gear from imperfect drum enthusiasts than from the evil empire that is Amazon.
That evil Amazon empire is simply a shipper. Some of the things that you buy from them are also sold at actual stores or the manufacturer. You may also get a discounted price, whether that matters to you or not.
I shop both, on Amazon and actual stores.

Last edited:

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If they sized him up, they sized him up wrong. Their prophecy was self-fulfilling.
what if the customer creeped them out? thats never going to be mentioned, but happens a lot

plus, they're probably not going to go on the internet to complain

better to get them out of there quickly

Fibes

Reaction score
I have made numerous purchases from MDS (online-mostly Meinl cymbals) over the last decade (or thereabouts) and never had an issue until I purchased a book of Philly Joe transcriptions. It was not cheap, and it was the only store with the book in stock. When I received the book, I was in shock - extra staves per page such that the notes were sized unreadable from 3 feet away, AND the print was a light, faded GREY, nowhere near black. Honestly, from 3 feet, it was unreadable, and my vision is good. I called them to return it and the person I spoke to said they "can't accept a book back that's been used." I gave them a really brutal review and that person called me back on the phone saying I was unfair. I laughed. For the price of a book, they lost a customer who was steadily buying 3 to 4 Meinl pies per year.

I'm in agreement with the majority that Brick and Mortar stores are going the way of the dinosaur. There's no way they can compete with the selection of an on-line/drop-ship world, but also, customer service is practically dead. I rarely buy anything locally. I'm in Orlando, I'll buy heads locally if I have to have one immediately, or a studio cable, and that's if I'm stuck. Best customer service combined with selection in my world is Daytona Beach Drum Shop. Best of all worlds, genuinely great guys. (about an hour drive but well worthwhile.)

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Try being a female, lol. When I walk into a drum shop that doesn't know me, I'm treated one of two ways:

1. I'm a beginner who doesn't know what a pedal does
2. I'm there to buy something for my kids

Almost always it's a case where I could tell the employee that I've been gigging (let alone playing) longer than he's been alive.

Shout out to my local shop, 2112 Percussion, where the guys have always treated me with respect.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Try being a female, lol. When I walk into a drum shop that doesn't know me, I'm treated one of two ways:

Almost always it's a case where I could tell the employee that I've been gigging (let alone playing) longer than he's been alive.

Shout out to my local shop, 2112 Percussion, where the guys have always treated me with respect.
I thought the drum community was beyond that type of treatment.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

My wife ; a singer tells the same kind of stories , she bought her 1st PA at age 14 with babysitting money ….
A friend of mine really made her mad one day when he grabbbed the cord she was wrapping and did it “ for her “ ….

Muns

Reaction score
Some customers think that stores are there for their entertainment...and are just there for their fun.
This perhaps was true..esp in the past..
But today..rent etc is expensive and time is money...and those employees could be doing something else to actually make money for the store..rather than entertaining tire kickers.
Ya see..when you go into a retail store..and are taking up the time and energy of employees w/o buying..you are actually hurting the store financially..because they are payin for your fun.
Sure the employees are paid a salary or by the hour..and some are paid by the sale too.. all whether you are there or not..
But... too many tire kickers and wasted time..and the store goes out of business.
But then there is the customers pov..
Treat me right..and I'll buy something..whether now or later..maybe..and help your business out
As in..
I could just buy online..and reduce my expenses..
What to do..lol..
Yes. Be polite and make it clear you're just looking and you might holler if you need some help. Ask a question when you actually have a question. People who go into stores and expect some sort of instant camaraderie are foolish. Follow the money and act accordingly.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatta you know! You're from Long island!:glasses2:
What happened with Long Island Drum Center? I used to deal with a guy named Phil. He was great but getting disgruntled with the store's direction and finally retired. Haven't had much to do with them since. I get emails occasionally. I think they made the shop a lot smaller and started going after the internet market.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife ; a singer tells the same kind of stories , she bought her 1st PA at age 14 with babysitting money ….
A friend of mine really made her mad one day when he grabbbed the cord she was wrapping and did it “ for her “ ….

A few years ago, we were enjoying a sunset moment on one of the lakes out here ... the wife and I joined a lovely couple on a little party barge.
Good conversation, wine, and a beautiful sunset.
Unfortunately, the husband was going on and on about navigating his boat on this lake and how it was this and it was that ... you get the point.
We never said a word ... just nodded.
I looked over at the wife and we both quietly chuckled.
My lovely bride had worked as a Boatswain's Mate all through her military carreer ... retired as a Warrant Officer (CWO2 BM) ... was a heavy weather coxswain, ran the decks of a few construction tenders, commanded several shore units and a few ships.

We never know who we're talking to, do we.
Your wife and my wife would most likely get along well ... having traveled "those" roads.
Blows my mind just how "off" some can get when they fill themselves with themselves.

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
As a salesperson over the years, I found that many female customers knew exactly what they were looking for and in some cases, knew more than I did about the product they wanted, whether it was for them or their kid. Clearly, women who are discounted in a retail setting will spend their money in a place that respects her as a consumer.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, we were enjoying a sunset moment on one of the lakes out here ... the wife and I joined a lovely couple on a little party barge.
Good conversation, wine, and a beautiful sunset.
Unfortunately, the husband was going on and on about navigating his boat on this lake and how it was this and it was that ... you get the point.
We never said a word ... just nodded.
I looked over at the wife and we both quietly chuckled.
My lovely bride had worked as a Boatswain's Mate all through her military carreer ... retired as a Warrant Officer (CWO2 BM) ... was a heavy weather coxswain, ran the decks of a few construction tenders, commanded several shore units and a few ships.

We never know who we're talking to, do we.
Your wife and my wife would most likely get along well ... having traveled "those" roads.
Blows my mind just how "off" some can get when they fill themselves with themselves.

It’s like “ sizing up “ a person in a drum shop . Who turns out has a 50K AMEX in his wallet …..!!!!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sell machines that range from 10K-90K
In my experience you just can’t really size up anyone …
I know the level of seriousness when they pull out the checkbook and not a second sooner ……

rwm5

Reaction score
What happened with Long Island Drum Center? I used to deal with a guy named Phil. He was great but getting disgruntled with the store's direction and finally retired. Haven't had much to do with them since. I get emails occasionally. I think they made the shop a lot smaller and started going after the internet market.
Still there. Store is small but well stocked the time I went. Can’t remember the gentleman’s name but we spoke for a while, I bought some sticks and heads and walked out with a free t-shirt. They do a lot of online fire sale promotions and have events too.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Year ago we were car shopping for my wife, the first dealer we stopped at was very dismissive of my wife and wanted to just talk to me. We left, went to another dealership, told the salesman that she was the one car shopping, and he dealt directly with her. Needless to say, they got our business.