Shorter toms, shorter sustain?

Caug

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m looking for the recommendation on heads.
Im trying to get deeper Tone out of shorter toms.
I like deeper round sounding toms Like 10/8 &12/9 i have, But would like to get similar sounds out of 10/6 & 12/7.
What heads Combo would achieve that sound?
Thanks,
C

Last edited:

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No ... longer. Think about it.

The sustain is the energy wave moving from the batter head down to the reso head and then back and forth. If the distance is greater then more energy is dissipated than if it were shorter. So with short drums it bounces more times.

Deeper tone isn’t directly related to longer sustain but more to tuning. You could have a short deep tone or a long one. Tuning affects what harmonics become the tone of the sustain. It’s not the only factor however.

Last edited:

Caug

Reaction score
No ... longer. Think about it.

The sustain is the energy wave moving from the batter head down to the reso head and then back and forth. If the distance is greater then more energy is dissipated than if it were shorter.
I’m after deeper warmer round tone, the sustain is not an issue to me.

M

Mongoose

My floor 16" tom sustains less than my 8" Tom. If you want sustain get single ply heads. The cheap Remo heads that came on all my toms had loads of sustain. Swapped all them for hydraulic heads and traded sustain for attack.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you can only try so much; You can try
taking the bottom heads off .....you can try just barely tensioning the heads..... You can Hey. You can only do so much. There's no endless options. If there was everyone would have them..

You can "replace" with the size shells you want have the edges cut; you drill for the hardware, and recover etc.
Or learn to like and work with what you own

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For deeper tone, some have suggested a thicker reso. CS dot comes to mind. You could also use a 2-ply head, these seem to react better when hit harder. In-between is the 12mil single-ply, like an Amabssador X or G12.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I say no.

I use a Evans Clear G2 on top and clear G1 on the bottom.

My toms are only 7” deep but sustain (to the point I have to tame them when using them live) more, and have more warmth than my the 10” deep Rock Tour Customs I had in the past (and that was always my max pleasure measure over the last 28 years of playing)

They both feature Mahogany, although my dream kit does have Maple as mix and the RTC was mixed with Birch and a outer layer of Resin.

Last edited:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a reference point, what heads are you using now? 1-ply, 2-ply, clear, coated?

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try a handful of these and don’t call me in the morning, Tom.

2A0AF24D-0805-4E41-B05A-8E419146F876.png

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will not get a deeper tone from shorter toms. you get a deeper tone from longer toms and larger diameter toms. I cut my 16x16 down to 12x16 and it no longer has a deeper tone and its much longer sustain and response faster. I cut my 16x18 down to 14x18 and 18x20 to 16x20 and the tone is not as deep and they have longer sustain and the response is faster.

cut down 1.jpg

tama tommy 2 t 2 .jpg

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My floor 16" tom sustains less than my 8" Tom. If you want sustain get single ply heads. The cheap Remo heads that came on all my toms had loads of sustain. Swapped all them for hydraulic heads and traded sustain for attack.
I got the most sustain from clear ambassador on top and clear diplomat on the bottom. I did not try a dip on top.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m after deeper warmer round tone, the sustain is not an issue to me.
Depends on what the vague adjectives you used mean to you.

If by deeper - you mean lower pitch, then larger diameter and looser tunings do it.

If by warmer - you mean less overtones and a more pronounced fundamental, then thicker, coated heads will do it

If by round - you mean that rubbery ball bouncing off a hard wood floor sound, then single ply clear heads will get you there.

To be honest, I'm not sure how depth plays into it if all other factors stay the same.

Last edited:

Jimmystuff65

Reaction score
you will not get a deeper tone from shorter toms. you get a deeper tone from longer toms and larger diameter toms. I cut my 16x16 down to 12x16 and it no longer has a deeper tone and its much longer sustain and response faster. I cut my 16x18 down to 14x18 and 18x20 to 16x20 and the tone is not as deep and they have longer sustain and the response is faster.

View attachment 466573

View attachment 466574
Those look like some old Tama Imperialstars?
I have a set of those ,I Love them
I believe mine to be made in84 as serial number starts with 84!
Also looking for some old blue imperial stars case you have any laying around keep me posted and keep rocking
Jimmy

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those look like some old Tama Imperialstars?
I have a set of those ,I Love them
I believe mine to be made in84 as serial number starts with 84!
Also looking for some old blue imperial stars case you have any laying around keep me posted and keep rocking
Jimmy
1980's Tama Superstars

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Experiment:

If using the same tuning on both sets your only option is trying different type of heads. Tuning down can help some but to much of that and you'll lose stick response and tone. Any head other than a clear head is considered a controlled type of head and each type will give a different sound from mellowed to almost dead. You'll have to decide which sound appeals to you the most. Starting out; I would try coated or the FiberSkyn type of heads then go from there.

Over all though, an even tuning around the drum will be your greatest asset in finding the best sound from your drum. Every drum is different so strive to make each one sound it's best.

Good luck and enjoy,
sherm

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m looking for the recommendation on heads.
Im trying to get deeper Tone out of shorter toms.
I like deeper round sounding toms Like 10/8 &12/9 i have, But would like to get similar sounds out of 10/6 & 12/7.
What heads Combo would achieve that sound?
Thanks,
C
Presuming you mean lower pitch.
I don’t think a 2 inch difference in shell depth makes so much difference in pitch that you can’t get the pitch you want by tuning the drum down.

Having said that, in my experience, thinner drum heads have a wider tuning range than thicker heads. As an experiment, you could try clear Diplomats on both sides of one of your drums and see if that gets you the pitch you want.

Last edited:

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
The tuning to the pitch of the shell's note will give you the deepest & roundest tone imo. Tuning the heads top & bottom to the same pitch will give you more sustain. Having the same heads top & bottom make it easier to do that.