Should I Buy a Sample Pad

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One more thing to consider with the DTX-12 is the wealth of very good percussion sounds included. The kits are good overall (not great), but if you have a use for percussion, it's very good.
If you are looking for acoustic drumset sounds, there are some additional downloadable kits for the DTX12 are pretty decent. They're not factory installed, and they take up almost all of the minuscule sampling space available on the DTX12, but they're at least available.

I made a list of the samples included in the expansion pack, if you're interested:

The factory data list of onboard sounds may also be useful:

The voice list starts on page 9 and continues until page 13, broken out by category. Plus you have access to the general MIDI sounds listed on the left side of page 14.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for acoustic drumset sounds, there are some additional downloadable kits for the DTX12 are pretty decent. They're not factory installed, and they take up almost all of the minuscule sampling space available on the DTX12, but they're at least available.

I made a list of the samples included in the expansion pack, if you're interested:

The factory data list of onboard sounds may also be useful:

The voice list starts on page 9 and continues until page 13, broken out by category. Plus you have access to the general MIDI sounds listed on the left side of page 14.
I searched around for additional DTX content and found most of that, but I used samples from SD 3 and that had everything I wanted.

At this point, I’m playing all acoustic and there are no gigs yet, so I haven’t messed with either for awhile.

fishstix94

Reaction score
On another note, any pedal recommendations for any of these pads?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On another note, any pedal recommendations for any of these pads?
Hi-hat pedals, it's best to stick to the company -- roland and yamaha pedals are not interchangeable, as an example.
For kick pedals, it depends on what set up you prefer -- the main options are "tower" pads with a pedal, "reverse" pads with a pedal, and "beaterless" pedals that don't require a regular BD pedal. I've used all in the past, but these days I only use the last kind -- the Roland KT-10 is fantastic. I use two of them on my main electric kit, and have sold most of my other bass drum solutions. Kick pedals should be universal across all manufacturers, so it's really just about finding one that you like the feel of.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into the Axis E3 trigger on my kick pedal, mainly because I played in a LOUD band and often my acoustic kick was hard to hear. Mic-ing it up didn't help because we rehearsed in a small room and it was like mic-ing the bass guitar at the same time. I know.. turn down. I'd tell them but it didn't help much, or for long.

Since external triggering due to vibration is avoided by the design, the Axis could be the right tool for the job. I have no idea how well they work but I aim to find out. I can have the acoustic kick going at the same time with the E3, I think.

https://axispercussion.com/products/e3-trigger

Axis E3 Trigger.png

fishstix94

Reaction score
Hi-hat pedals, it's best to stick to the company -- roland and yamaha pedals are not interchangeable, as an example.
For kick pedals, it depends on what set up you prefer -- the main options are "tower" pads with a pedal, "reverse" pads with a pedal, and "beaterless" pedals that don't require a regular BD pedal. I've used all in the past, but these days I only use the last kind -- the Roland KT-10 is fantastic. I use two of them on my main electric kit, and have sold most of my other bass drum solutions. Kick pedals should be universal across all manufacturers, so it's really just about finding one that you like the feel of.
Do you recommend any reverse pedals?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you recommend any reverse pedals?
I've only used the Roland KD-7. It's... fine. I didn't love it, but it got the job done and felt decent. The biggest problem I had was that the clamp on my pedal didn't hold the beater tight enough, and if it wasn't perfectly aligned, it would start to "drift" to one side or the other, and eventually swing entirely sideways.

fishstix94

Reaction score
Well gang, I went out and bought the Roland SPD Sx.. I was impatient, so I turned my $250 in amazing gift cards into GC credit and hopped in the car and drove 45min to get it!

What happens next is the least surprising thing that has happened in awhile. I get home, I am about 90% sure that I was sold an open box return unit at list price. The wires were thrown everywhere, there was no covering over the pad itself, there were light stick marks on it... So I think whatever, it's not the end of the world. It basically looks untouched. Upon hooking it up and playing for a bit I come to find out that the top right pad hardly works, which is a bummer. I need to slam it like a crash to get any response out of it.

Overall, I'm pretty bummed and I'm leaning on returning it. I know that this is their last one in stock so I'll need to order one. That's what I get for going the gc route.

Joe61

Reaction score
I have the same model. There are sensitivity settings for force required to trigger. The first thing I would advise is to do a factory reset. Then read the manual and familiarize yourself with settings and experiment. It is posible that pad is bad but you wont know untill you dive into the many settings. Worst case is you live with it or send in for service. I have found that the top row of pads are somewhat dificult to play anyways. You may not miss one being bad. Will the seller help you out with the problem?

Good luck
Joe

fishstix94

Reaction score
Well the seller is guitar center so I won't have any issue returning. I have 45 days so I will likely play around with it for a few weeks to see if I can get things working how I would expect them to.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That stinks. It likely is an open box return. I suggest returning it for your money and buying the SPD-SX from another retailer. That way you can avoid any other problems that might pop up with this unit by having a new one.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm another fan of the Yamaha DTX-Multi12 pad.