Should I get Eames-motional?

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Quick back story- A few years out of college I saw a Bill Bruford clinic and while waiting in line overheard two drummers discussing Eames. A few years later I toured the shop and put in an order for snare. Used it for a few years in a ska band where it was dubbed the snare of death because it cut right thru the 7 piece band...un mic'ed (and I'm not a heavy hitter). I sold it when the band ended and fatherhood started. Maybe 7 years ago I bought an Eames free floater shell and our own Imposing will drilled and bedded it for me...being 14x3 I don't use it much...but took it out last night...sucker is loud too...and has a wide tuning range.

So recently on CL a 4 pc (20,12.13,16) was listed at $400. Hope to see them tonight. Seller acknowledges the shells are worn, doesn't know how many plies and says the lugs are mismatched (i see lots of cheap generic ones) but no extra holes were added...would like some dark cymbals in trade.

If I got the kit I would (is this crazy) try and sand down the finish and restain them. I realize a rewrap is also possible. Even if these are the cheapest of the Eames shells...w/hardware/heads it seems like a crazy good price (and I did just sell some cymbals and a snare).

But here's the negative. Since my divorce last year I've been renting a room in a house with no workshop area....and I don't need another kit (3 W/A's, 2 Fibes, 1 misc Fiberglass and a Premier kit)...and because a lot of my gear is in storage (in 4 places across 2 states) Its not easy for me to sell off stuff (I may have one of the Fibes sold).

I am looking for my 'forever' house but so far I haven't found anything...The money isn't a big issue...and I can store these...and work on 1 at a time.

I guess in the end you only regret the deals you didn't make...and it might be possible to buy and flip....

PS-I generally play one up and one down...depending on the mount(s) I may sell the 13 or look at making a snare out of it.

Attachments

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
thought about it some more...and I just don't need them...and won't be able to rehab them fast enough to be happy...need to keep my eyes in the bigger prize I guess

Latest posts