header.nohb.html

Should I make an offer on this keystone Supra, or...?

John

Reaction score
Local craigslister has a 6.5" x 14" late 60s keystone Supraphonic for $350 OBO. It has some school initials scratched into it, the "normal" classroom scratches, a minor ding and two screws added to inside of drum holding down a lug.

Should I make an offer on this keystone Supra?

OR

A recent model deep dish (possibly a COB) for $300.

Whatever i spring for -- it would have primarily a player's role, but I am looking down the road as to what holds resale value, too.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
John said:
Local craigslister has a 6.5" x 14" late 60s keystone Supraphonic for $350 OBO. It has some school initials scratched into it, the "normal" classroom scratches, a minor ding and two screws added to inside of drum holding down a lug.

Should I make an offer on this keystone Supra?

OR

A recent model deep dish (possibly a COB) for $300.

Whatever i spring for -- it would have primarily a player's role, but I am looking down the road as to what holds resale value, too.
Esthetic condition of a Supra never worries me, and a SMALL ding shouldn't be an issue either. As for the screws, the whole lug could be replaced in a heart beat.

I'd say OFFER him $250 and see where it goes. It would be worth that for sure, maybe more, but why chance overpaying for a drum if you don't have to. He'll most likely counter with $300 anyway, and you could get it for that.

John

Reaction score
El Cid:
'Go for it".

Me:
Because? My quandary is do I want a "flawed gem" (the pre-serial keystone that has survived umpteen high school music concerts -- and shows it) or a "modern incarnation of a classic" (the 'new millineum' of Ludwig supras)? Maybe that's what we all go through in our decision-making process when it comes to these (difficult) choices, huh?

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
John said:
El Cid:
'Go for it".

Me:
Because? My quandary is do I want a "flawed gem" (the pre-serial keystone that has survived umpteen high school music concerts -- and shows it) or a "modern incarnation of a classic" (the 'new millineum' of Ludwig supras)? Maybe that's what we all go through in our decision-making process when it comes to these (difficult) choices, huh?

Which is more importan to you: the vintageness (and possible "collectors" value) of the item in question, or the looks of new stuff?... :?

-elcid

John

Reaction score
darn!
seller just contacted me that he sold the drum on ebay!
oh well...