Should I quit one of my bands?

Stickclick

Reaction score
I would much prefer playing jam sessions at a local bar to being in a band. It's a lot less trouble.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What's an appropriate amount of notice to give when quitting a band? My current group has shows scheduled on August 30, December 6 and 13, and our leader is actively searching for more. I'd prefer to not have to play with them after August.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I would much prefer playing jam sessions at a local bar to being in a band. It's a lot less trouble.
Glad you prefer that route. It makes my skin crawl to think about that as a possibility....

dangermoney

Reaction score
Ha that's basically what the guitarist is doing now. Keeps replacing members looking for better players... eventually will have to replace himself
I remember years ago a guitarist/singer who did the same thing and they ended up replacing him lol ...

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
What's an appropriate amount of notice to give when quitting a band? My current group has shows scheduled on August 30, December 6 and 13, and our leader is actively searching for more. I'd prefer to not have to play with them after August.
Yeah we have bookings already for Jan 2020, I'm more than likely quitting tomorrow with the assumption that I will sub on any of the gigs on the books he can't comfortably sub which in Austin shouldn't be an issue.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure I'm leaving the two bands I'm in.
Both bands were booked steadily for years. The guitarist in my four piece band left due to health issues and he suggested his replacement so we hired him. BIG mistake not auditioning him. Our product suffered. Then the original guitar player came back. We were going to fire the replacement but the original quit again and the replacement quit two days later claiming he had no time to practice and felt "stressed."
We then found a killer guitarist and have done a handful of gigs with him.
Unfortunately by that time we had lost our following, our bookings have dried up, we never rehearse and communication has become almost non-existent. We supposedly had a gig two Saturday's ago but apparently our bass player\lead singer talked to the wrong person when he supposedly booked the gig so we weren't on the calendar. I'm guessing the same will happen with our supposed Halloween gig there.
The same person books our 3 piece as well. This past Saturday we were supposed to have a gig but that fell through.
To top it all off I have to constantly chase down my money from him because the gigs that don't pay cash make the checks out to him.
As a result neither band has any more gigs at this time.
If we don't see some bookings soon I'm done.
The fun is slowly going down the drain for me.
I don't relish having to start all over with another group of musicians so I'll just retire to my drum room and work on my skillset.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Well we had a great gig Sunday and the guitarist seemed a lot less stressed and more laid back, could be partly that he was glad I was back from vacation as I had subbed three gigs out. Maybe we needed a break from each other. Only have 5 gigs over two months span with that band so not going to do much at the moment except ask if he wants to sub me out maybe once a month to get another drummer in the mix. He wants to play more gigs really than what I want to. Double bills with 30 minutes between gigs is rough on me anymore. An hour between gigs no problem...most due to feeling rushed to tear down and get across town in traffic and find parking etc.