Should I save up to buy my dream drumset, even if the finish isn't in good condition?

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey all!

(This is all theoretical BTW)

My dream drumset is an 80's TAMA Superstar in the aquamarine lacquer finish. I would absolutely KILL to have one of these drum sets, I almost don't care about the sizes. Problem is: They're somewhat rare and are REALLY EXPENSIVE. I'm talking $500.00 for a floor tom in okay condition. I really want to get my hands on one, but the only listings I've seen are for a 16x16 floor tom and a 16x14 floor tom. I also saw a listing for a full 3 piece (14, 18, 24), and it was WAY cheaper than buying the drums individually. ($900.00 + plus $150.00 shipping)

So I have a question: How does someone, with no stable income (I'm 14), possibly afford their dream kit when they are this expensive? I am also worried that with time, the kit will become harder to find in good condition and even more expensive! I have wanted one of these kits since I saw a listing.

Does anyone have any advice on how to bear the weight of being obsessed with a kit while being a kid with Tourettic OCD, Tourette's, and having problems on fixation,
I don’t know what your present musical goals and ambitions are, and they may change several times over the coming years anyway. But, assuming you are serious about music, I would recommend that you first assemble a complete, serviceable, drum and cymbal set to practice on, and then save your money for that dream set. If you already have a good practice set, then I say go for it. For now, try to refocus your OCD on your musicianship.

dyland

Reaction score
As far as your initial question goes, the quality of the finish is make or break depending on your own feelings. I played beat up Catalinas for over a decade and if you asked me then about finishes I would have scoffed. Then I got a like-new set of Yamaha Club Customs in Satin Blackwood and my feelings totally changed. Now, if I'm going after a kit the quality of the finish totally matters to me. Which sucks, cause beat up used drums are way cheaper!

moosryan

Reaction score
I'll reiterate the notion that your dream kit might change. When I was your age, I'd have killed for a Tama Starclassic Performer. I was playing in rock bands and I dreamed of having those punchy birch drums. A few years down the road, I bought what had become my dream kit by that time with years of saving: a Yamaha Absolute Maple Nouveau. Good lord are they beautiful drums. The truth is though, a few years after that I was playing jazz nearly full-time, and a set of budget bop drums were getting most of my playing time. (Probably worth mentioning for this conversation that it was a $200 set of Tama Swingstars that I refinished, and they sounded so good people would come asking me what vintage they were.) Now, I'm back to a bit of everything, and so the Nouveaus do get a lot of playing time in the studio, but they're not quite perfect. I'd rather have a 20" than a 22" these days. The finish is so nice I'm sometimes afraid to take it out of rehearsals. I still get nervous gigging with them. And though I figured they'd be an investment, their value on the market probably doesn't match the sentimental value. I adore these drums, but I also feel a bit stuck with them fifteen years later. YMMV, but the best kit at this point is probably one you're going to play the hell out of and that you can consider trading out when you're a little further on your musical journey.