Should I trade for this kit...?

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a 7 piece Mapex Horizon kit with an MPX steel snare. (8, 10, 12, 14, 16 toms). There's a guy that would trade me for a pearl export of all the same sizes. The export was completely re-wrapped and is BEAUTIFUL.

Thoughts on the Export vs. Horizon? How's the sound comparison? They're both entry levels, correct? How are pearl export snares vs the MPX steel I have now?

Also, not sure... which one would be worth more? I don't want to be trading for a greatly inferior kit. I'd like an upgrade on my sound. The Mapex I have is made in China and I'm concerned about the quality. I can't seem to get the toms tuned super well.

Thanks!

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you can't get the tuning you want, put the shells on a flat glass or sollid counter surface and check bearing edges for flatness. And uniformity.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I think you`re right both kits are entry-level. Did you try some decent heads on your Mapex? Bought a used SONOR Smart Force Xtend with some bad factory heads as a present for my nephew a few months ago. Think they might be equal quality to the Mapex Horizon or Pearl Export. With new Aquarian Heads the SONOR sounded really well. MIght be an option. Otherwise I`d save some money to get a real upgrade.

Reaction score
@Germandrummer ... Yeah I'm going to try newer heads tomorrow. I replaced the batter and it sounds a little better. I'll try replacing the resonant too. It's a real nice looking kit (dark amber with black hardware).