Shoutout to Hawthorne Drums , Pittsburgh, PA

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to give Hawthorne Drum Shop in Pittsburgh a shoutout; recently acquired a 14" OBP floor tom from Chris. Item was in excellent condition and well packed. Price was in line for what I expected to finish my Downbeat kit. Thanks Chris!

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Is that the dude running a store out of a storage locker/band practice space in the Rocks? I bought a 20" Club Date BD from him, very nice and easy to deal with.

Edit: Given your location, I assume you ordered and wouldn't know.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Is that the dude running a store out of a storage locker/band practice space in the Rocks? I bought a 20" Club Date BD from him, very nice and easy to deal with.

That's the one. He used to be in the basement of his house, but moved into the new location recently.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
looks pretty big

high ceiling if that's it..

First time (long ago) I called him he gave me directions that led to a field and an empty intersection on the north side (lol)
I think I'd need chauffeured to Find the present location.
Is it a white building behind a stack of used tires and pallets? In other words I see it as difficult to find but I have an idea..and have to deal with him someday like to.

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's located in McKees Rocks, PA which I am guessing is a suburb of Pittsburgh (somebody in the area help me out with this?) Easy to deal with and yes, seems nice. No problem shipping to Canada. Item was packed well.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
He's located in McKees Rocks, PA which I am guessing is a suburb of Pittsburgh (somebody in the area help me out with this?) Easy to deal with and yes, seems nice. No problem shipping to Canada. Item was packed well.
Not really a suburb, it's a district within city limits, just up the Ohio river from downtown. He's a couple blocks past the McKees Rocks bridge in an pre-war, brick industrial park kinda place.

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the geography lesson:icon_e_wink: ; glad you had a great experience as well when you bought a 20" Club Date BD from him, what wrap does it have on it?

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they used to be Hollowwood music?

I seem to remember them being over that way a long time ago.

kevin klever

Reaction score
Yeah he's great, very responsive, always has great gear, and IMO he's set a new standard for photos of gear for sale. The way he displays and photographs drums makes me want to buy even the stuff that I don't want at all.

jsp210

Reaction score
Yeah he's great, very responsive, always has great gear, and IMO he's set a new standard for photos of gear for sale. The way he displays and photographs drums makes me want to buy even the stuff that I don't want at all.
photos do look great but they need to up their game on the video demos, or at least this one (which caught my eye at that ideal weight for a 24")

kevin klever

Reaction score
Yeah I think he could definitely afford to bring in a jazz guy to demo a lot of the gear, especially the cymbals. Doesn't seem like he's having trouble moving stock though!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gonna say a hard no on the first part
and a yes this location is probably nearby
And three better have decent nav skill in the Rocks.

I got lost there for a week one day.

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

Reaction score

No, Hollowood is still there, on Chartiers Avenue in "Downtown" McKees Rocks (which is technically a separate city from Pittsburgh, not a part of it).
Pittsburgh Drum Exchange was in the same building as Hollowood until they closed this summer.

Hawthorne is over next to the ABC-EZ rehearsal studios.

Hulakatt

Reaction score

No, I asked. On the third floor of Hollowoods at one point was Waddels Drums and at another point was Drum World. When I was at Hawthorn picking up my BD, he had just been over at Hollowoods looking to rent out one of their floors. Hollowoods used to be amazing, with Johnnie B Goode's used gear on the middle floor but they never recovered from their (ill advised) move out to Robinson and back.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He has an item that I may be interested in. I'm down in Wheeling and am thinking of trying to go up and see the place rather than have him ship it. Time is tight though, and he also appears to be taking appointments rather than walk-ins.

Reactions: JDA

Hulakatt

Reaction score
He has an item that I may be interested in. I'm down in Wheeling and am thinking of trying to go up and see the place rather than have him ship it. Time is tight though, and he also appears to be taking appointments rather than walk-ins.
I think it would be worth the drive but it would be time better spent once he opens an actual storefront and not appointment only stuff.

Latest posts