Show me your double pedal setups

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I need ideas. I'm fighting the age old issue of having to move my hi hat stand far away from the snare in order to play a double pedal, and I'm certain that many of you have found ways around this problem. Thanks in advance for any pictures.

Dan

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I'll just say right at the outset, I can't actually play my double bass pedals. I haven't taken the time to build up the technique and chops to do so yet. It's on my list. But I like how I have them set up. I can't give a picture because my drums are set up such that my drums are set up in the corner of a room facing out into the room and my seat is stuck in the corner. I've tried to take a pic of the "master's place" and there just isn't enough room to get a decent pic. All I did when setting them up was to set up my hi hat where I felt it was a comfortable distance from the snare. Not too close but not too far either. I then just put the left bass drum pedal right next to the hi hat pedal and voila! It actually works. There is enough room for me to move my foot over to the bass drum pedal without my knee or thigh hitting the snare. Just spend some time playing around with it. You'll get it. Tomorrow I think I'll start doing some double bass exercises.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a little guy, and I hate the far foot reach too.
The Pearl Redline Eliminators have a slightly shorter rod between the pedals than some others.
Also, you can put the hi-hat pedal in between the bass drum beaters, if you favor the hi-hat over the second BD pedal.
You probably need a two-legged hi-hat stand to do this.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I'm a little guy, and I hate the far foot reach too.
The Pearl Redline Eliminators have a slightly shorter rod between the pedals than some others.
Also, you can put the hi-hat pedal in between the bass drum beaters, if you favor the hi-hat over the second BD pedal.
You probably need a two-legged hi-hat stand to do this.
Don't most double bass pedals have an adjustable rod between the pedals? I know my DW 7000 does. It allows a fair amount of flexibility for pedal placement. And two legged hi hat stands are pretty easy to find. I have a Pacific that is as sturdy, if not sturdier, than many three legged hi hat stands I have had over the years.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I keep the shaft between the pedals as short as it will go. To facilitate this, I also don't have the snare stand legs at their widest setting. As you can see the hi-hat is basically where it would be without the double-pedal. It's very comfortable for me.

It also helps if you have a hi-hat stand with legs that swivel and aren't fixed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That problem has been solved by the good folks at DW with their
DWCP5520-2
1582831031889.png

And there is no way under heaven or earth that I can afford to buy even a used one. (Street price: $649.00us) So, maybe the problem hasn't been solved at all for us mortals.

GeeDeeEmm

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DWCP5520-2 View attachment 428989

And there is no way under heaven or earth that I can afford to buy even a used one. (Street price: $649.00us) So, maybe the problem hasn't been solved at all for us mortals.

GeeDeeEmm
In DW style, they solved the problem, but created a new one(how to pay for it lol).

Dan

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
You guys who have the linkage all the way in, isn't the slave pedal under the snare drum then? Can you play that thing efficiently that way?
2 legged hihat stand is a must. Never thought about putting the hihat inside the slave, but I try to put the slave pedal in the optimal position because I need all the help I can get!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DWCP5520-2 View attachment 428989

GeeDeeEmm
Yes it has...I like mine just fine. And I got lucky when i found it, used. How ever I would posit that if you had to buy a separate DW5000 HH stand and a DW5000 Double Pedal, you'd be pretty close to the asking price of the DW55202-2, new or used (in good condition)

I think I will bring it the next jazz gig, put it on my bop kit and freak out my bandmates.

I think one of the intended design features of this set up is having the feet locked into one position allowing for a level of consistency you dont get from a normal setup. The drop clutch is pretty cool too.

IMG_1093.jpg

Last edited:

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama makes a clamp system that holds the hi-hat and slave pedal together, sorry I couldn't find a picture.

sherm
I tried the Tama attachment. It only works if you have a specific iron cobra model (900 series).
I guess it's okay, if you're not moving your kit around, but a little tedious to set up if you're gigging.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I purchased a used double 900 because the price was so good. I've never played a double but planning to set it up on my practice kit with the my 900 hi-hat. Maybe I should order the bracket.

sherm

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found the only way to get the optimal position is to have the bass drum angled out a bit to the right (like if you truly had two bass drums), and then to have the center connector as short as it will go. This does put the double pedal a little under the snare, but I set up based on priority...I play single bass and hi hat 90% of the time, but the rare quick double pedal burst or fill still works fine. My hi hat is exactly where I play it normally with a single pedal, and my stance is setup ergonomically so there is no twist or unevenness. For a multi Tom setup, it does help to have the toms isolated from the bass drum to get them exactly where I want.

AD9032BA-BCC8-4075-8326-7BEE6FA60156.jpeg
F91486F4-1C0D-423E-82A7-30892D6F68E5.jpeg
2B592544-3B79-4CF6-8D8D-636D5FFA0D80.jpeg

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found the only way to get the optimal position is to have the bass drum angled out a bit to the right (like if you truly had two bass drums), and then to have the center connector as short as it will go. This does put the double pedal a little under the snare, but I set up based on priority...I play single bass and hi hat 90% of the time, but the rare quick double pedal burst or fill still works fine. My hi hat is exactly where I play it normally with a single pedal, and my stance is setup ergonomically so there is no twist or unevenness. For a multi Tom setup, it does help to have the toms isolated from the bass drum to get them exactly where I want.

View attachment 429069 View attachment 429070 View attachment 429071
One of the better setups I've seen!

Dan

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I’ve got two ancient Pearl P101 Powershifters which have worked silently and perfectly forever, and I use them with the linkage set as short as possible. I don’t have the hihat pedal in line with the slave pedal, but I have it a little closer to me, which offsets the slightly wider positioning from where it would be with a single pedal. My Tempus studio kit has a swivel three leg hihat and it is perfectly serviceable, but my Tamas have a two legged hihat which is even better ergonomically. Anyway, regardless, I have used double pedal for years, and I switch from one to the other endlessly and don’t think about it. The hihat doesn’t feel too far away and my left foot feels fine on either pedal.

Double Pedal - Tempus.jpg

Double Pedal - Tamas.jpg

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
But with double pedals, something that made a big difference to me, was to having a really easy and smooth to operate drop clutch. When you are playing the hats, and you switch to double pedal for whatever reason, it's really good to be able to hit the drop clutch, one time and it always works, to get the hats closed again. I actually riveted a piece of aluminium to both of mine, because with the bigger target area and leverage, it only then takes one hit to be playing closed hats again. Before I did that, I got caught out a few times.

Double Pedal - Drop Clutch.jpg

Latest posts