Show Me Your Drumhead Stash!

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I starting thinking about this after I saw this little 15 second clip of Thomas Lang showing off his drumhead stash…

I thought I had too many heads in my closet, but jeez. Anyways, I’d love to see your personal drumhead stashes! I’m sure some of you older guys on here have a ton of them laying around lol. Idk why I find this entertaining, but I do :).

Here’s my modest collection of new Evan’s heads, slightly used Evan’s heads, and factory drumheads from different snares that I bought.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few new heads but most of my spares are old ones. Anything too dented gets tossed. I've got a few that I really don't care for (like Vintage Emp's) that were on used drums I purchased, that I can't bare to throw away.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
They cost so much I can't bear to toss ones that were changed because of trying stuff rather than flat wore out. But if you think about it - it's sorta like saving toilet paper because you paid too much for it last year. It's a plastic sheet crimp in a metal rim. It's not something that should cost 3x what a hamburger at a non-fast-food restaurant costs.

healthie1

Reaction score
I recently picked up a bunch of used heads in a trade - happy to have spares. Shocked how expensive they are now.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My stash is a little obscene....but i have heads for a set of FG Fibes I'm reheading (4 drums x 2 heads)...I also scored a few 'cheap' 24" heads of Amazon and I bought a box of RMV coated 14s and clear 20" heads....plus used heads plus a few others I've picked up.

One of the weird one's I have is a Cannon Jingle Head...14" its a head with jingle attached to it....

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Huh? I am supposed to have a drum head stash? Who would thunk it...

(back in my college days a stash was something quite different)

batman.gif

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? I have an unused gold-letter Everplay Extra 16" still in the box. What?
and other things I'd rather not have a light shone on...

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few piles here and there . I have quite a few in the garage . I gave a trunkful ( about 6’ tall ) to a local drum teacher . I have also dropped off a lot to Murat’s shop as well .
image.jpg
image.jpg

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my drumhead stash is the drum shop 2 miles down the road. Whenever I need a new head I give them some money and then they let me take it home.
Well ain’t that nice ;). The closest decent shop to my place is 25mins down the roads lol.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are just the heads for my Legacy Maple kit that I've used over the past eight years (stashed in the closet with my Ludwig Classic kit). The only used heads I have stashed (out in the garage) for the Classic kit are the old band logo bass drum heads.

IMG_0894_S.jpg

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
can’t afford to have a stash of heads. i am a jazzer playing rock on coated heads until they break. then onto the few clear pinstripes i have.
EC3D4E37-642E-4976-B034-837817E2BCB8.jpeg

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d show you, but I’d probably have to do some vacuuming. Once I realized I was getting to a critical point of space for drums - the heads had to find their own space(s). I have a big sectional couch with the space underneath completely filled with heads (new in box, or barely used), as well as under the bed in an extra bedroom, and in a crawl space in my bedroom. Complete sets of Aquarian, Remo, Evans for several kits, loads of 12/13/14 inch snare heads… mostly single ply coated in different iterations.

I enjoy tuning, experimenting with heads, changing a sets sound completely, almost as much as I enjoy playing. When people say changing heads sucks, I’m like “Say what? I LOVE changing heads!” I’ve spent a lot of money over the years on heads, but I’ve learned a lot about tuning and what works where.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a few new heads but most of my spares are old ones. Anything too dented gets tossed. I've got a few that I really don't care for (like Vintage Emp's) that were on used drums I purchased, that I can't bare to throw away.
Dan, don't toss those dented heads... you can 'pull' the dents out with a heat gun (heck even a blow dryer can work).
Here's a vid with show Jeff Wald pulling out a few dents:

And the Bearded Drums guy show the technique on a head that almost looks beyond hope getting revitailized (go to the 7-min mark for that - the early portion of the vid show attempts a dent removal with unmounted heads and the results are as you can imagine not that good)

Drums

Reaction score
Good timing for this post as I needed to replace a reso anyway! A mix of old and new, all three major brands represented and a couple of calfskins in there as well.
5150CA17-E19E-4A1D-8A45-C8DA14E3E796.jpeg