Show me your first kit

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
My 1st kit was in 1964 but was a toy so to speak. Red metal with a tiger on the front. I think my Mom has a pic. Just remember playing(or thinking I was : ) along to her Sandy Nelson album.
1973 my 1st real kit. Pearl in blue sparkle. Like my drum throne? Ha! Hopefully everyone has a great story and memory to the 1st.
1549CD77-CED7-4B4F-9BCB-8CFF9C6F8EE5.jpeg

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
First drum kit landed up in an ex girlfriend's mother's garage loft in Edmonton @ 76 .Ludwig Clubdate black and gold 20" duco bass drum, 13/16 Coronet toms sprayed black, real heavy east european ride ( purchased in 73?) 18" Ludwig/Stambul crash , 60's UFIP/Krut hats ,Rogers Rocket pedal, weirdo stands that never worked right , Olympic (white six lug birch 3 ply)and Acrolite snares ... I tried James Bonding them one night, but encountered the family pet ... Carmelita, if you have a chance, dust them off for me .... pretty please ?

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I posted them here before, but here they are again. Some unknown brand I got back in the mid to late 80s:

I love that you're still drumming with a cast on! I did the same thing in 1991 when I broke my wrist riding my mountain bike; played a school concert with the cast on, too. Cool BMX bike in the background of the other photo. Yeah, your plaid shorts are too long to be in the earlier 1980s, so I'm guessing these photos are what, 1987-1989?

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Look to your left at the 1965 Ludwig WMP set (20, 13, 16, 14 Supra.) My first, and I still play it. Added more modern hardware, and some cymbals, but this is my first set. I have 2 more from 2008(Palmetto Drums) & 2016 (Mapex).

Nubs

Reaction score
I love that you're still drumming with a cast on! I did the same thing in 1991 when I broke my wrist riding my mountain bike; played a school concert with the cast on, too. Cool BMX bike in the background of the other photo. Yeah, your plaid shorts are too long to be in the earlier 1980s, so I'm guessing these photos are what, 1987-1989?
Thanks man. This was my first kit and was before I discovered I'm better drumming as a lefty. So every kit from then on has been lefty.

Thanks for the compliment on the bikes. My brother and I used to race BMX back in the day and were pretty good in our heyday. I was ranked as high as #8 in the nation in my age group and my brother was ranked #1. That same basement was full of BMX trophies to the point you couldn't move after you came down the stairs.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Nubs .... that looks like a Star drumkit . Not bad at all , same shells as first gen. Tamas and Pearls .

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment on the bikes. My brother and I used to race BMX back in the day and were pretty good in our heyday. I was ranked as high as #8 in the nation in my age group and my brother was ranked #1. That same basement was full of BMX trophies to the point you couldn't move after you came down the stairs.
Wow! That's certainly impressive. BMX was SO huge in the 1980s. I had a super lightweight Torker BMX that my brother handed down to me. Was probably the best bike I ever owned. All my friends were already rockin' their GT Performers and whatnot, as those freestyle bikes became all the rage in the late '80s/early '90s.

Nubs

Reaction score
Wow! That's certainly impressive. BMX was SO huge in the 1980s. I had a super lightweight Torker BMX that my brother handed down to me. Was probably the best bike I ever owned. All my friends were already rockin' their GT Performers and whatnot, as those freestyle bikes became all the rage in the late '80s/early '90s.
Very nice. My brother and I were sponsored by Torker back in the day. Before that I picked up a Redline sponsorship but preferred to ride Torkers.

GT's were crap IMO.

Latest posts