Show me your first kit

prplx

Reaction score
First kit & first paying gig
I went the same route, bought two cheap kits and made a double kit. But in my superior intelligence teenage mode, and never have done anything manual in my short life, I tore the wrap, gave a quick sand paper run to the shells, and painted them alternatly black and white with a brush and oil paint, thinking a black and white kit would be so cool. Then, nwating it to shine, I applied a gloss wood varnished with a brush. The white turned the color of nicotine stain, the black was pretty bad too. No I dont have pictures, sorry.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I went the same route, bought two cheap kits and made a double kit. But in my superior intelligence teenage mode, and never have done anything manual in my short life, I tore the wrap, gave a quick sand paper run to the shells, and painted them
Yep, I stripped & sanded mine too, then ended up re-wrapping mine in white cortex that I mail-ordered from an ad in the back pages of Rolling Stone.

WhiteSetUptownArena.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Christmas 1966.JPG

1965 or 1966. White Marine Pearl kit that my parents (forever Thank You!!!!) bought for me one Christmas. An Apollo kit still in the box, straight from a pawn shop. I was delirious. I don't remember where I located a matching floor tom, or where I found the Zildjian cymbals, but a band was soon on the horizon. (Below)
First Drum Set, First Band 004.JPG

GeeDeeEmm

REF

Reaction score
First "real" drum set: Gretsch COW, purchased new by Mom in 1974... I still have the receipt somewhere (Mason Music, $400+change). 8x12/10x14/16x16/16x18/14x22. This pic is from 1977. Please excuse the hair and the knee high boots. It was the '70s.

View attachment 430291
Are you the Valhalla that works with Sonic Age Records/Cult Metal Classics? Have played at the Keep It True festival, in Germany? Or one of the Metal festivals in the EU. Maybe there are many bands that named themselves Valhalla back then.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you the Valhalla that works with Sonic Age Records/Cult Metal Classics? Have played at the Keep It True festival, in Germany? Or one of the Metal festivals in the EU. Maybe there are many bands that named themselves Valhalla back then.
No, we were the Valhalla bar band that was destined for local crap bars from 1977-78. I'm sure there were TONS of bands with JRR Tolkien-inspired names (thanks Robert Plant), but I want to go on record as stating that I had no say in choosing that name! :lol:

Reactions: JDA

REF

Reaction score
What a great thread.

My first set was the dept. store cardboard kit, 3 pc in blue foil. This is my first (and second) real set. The 12,14,20, w/jazz snare, got joined with a 13,16,22 when I discovered Ginger Baker. I think I was 13 or 14 here.

1584042691878.png

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I remember a similar thread was posted some years ago and I remember one guy had a set of WFL's he'd gotten in the 50's. Still his one and only drumkit.
Not sure if he still comes around here, but I remember being pretty impressed that he'd held onto that kit for that long.
...as for me, I have no pics of my first kit. Never thought to take any. Having too much fun owning and playing an actual drumkit, I guess.
However, I recently ran across a set that is literally the spitting image of my first kit. Tried to get the kit from the kid who owns them, but he didn't want to sell....how it goes, I suppose.
I was able to snag some pics from his post, though....

MyFirstKit_ExactlyLikeIt_001.jpg

MyFirstKit_ExactlyLikeIt_002.jpg

Thinnest shells ever. Not a single ply, but a single veneer. Paper thin. I can't believe I used to do my Keith Moon imitation on that kit...but it handled it!
Front head on the bass drum was coated white and no hole on my kit (eventually, entire kit was re-headed with coated Ambassadors).
I ended up putting the stickers that came with my Dark Side of The Moon album on the floor tom, too. ;)

Elvis

Last edited:

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I no longer have a photo of my first kit, but Google provided me with a photo of one very similar. Mine was not in the best of shape when I traded a dime store bass guitar for it in 1975. The resonant side rims, heads, and tension rods were all missing, as was common at the time. Mine had a rail mount instead of the mount that this one has, but it was a Del Rey in blue sparkle.
1584272452374.png

Jazzhead

Reaction score
My first kit that I dearly miss. 1970’s Pearl president in red sparkle 12/13/16/20 with a 14” Pearl Jupiter snare and a heavy 60’s 20” Zildjian ride and 13” 60’s zildjian hats, oh and a vintage Ludwig cowbell. Partially faded finish on rack toms and floor tom but I still loved it!
Yup, that’s a picture of it on my wall.
33C58D88-CE9C-416A-8026-0324D6C484C3.jpeg

55822E25-3041-4684-9DBA-A1F0A77CD8F2.jpeg

I know who might still have it and getting it back is not impossible, but It will need to get on a long flight and move continents.

Last edited:

Latest posts