header.nohb.html

Show us your Copper!!! Lets see your closet copper snare drums, you know you have some! UPDATED TOTALS!

Olrocker

Reaction score
I've noticed my 6.5x14 raw Copperphonic (bought in 2015) is starting to get a slight greenish hue...in a few years it might look like the Statue of Liberty.

Last edited:

DrumGuy27

Reaction score
I think that the mother of all Copper drums is the first generation 90's Yamaha Seamless Copper Snare Drum that was made by the Japanese artisans that made the copper timpani drums for Yamaha. These super heavy weight seamless copper shells just have something very special about them. I have owned at least 6-7 copper drums from other drum makers and none of those drums had what these first generation Yamaha Seamless Copper drums have...it's a super fatness of tone and a feel that makes them very special. I have a few 6.5x14's in my collection, including one that is NOS in the box, never played. This one has been played, but it is super MINTY. It sounds incredible and I'll be bringing this one to my recording session next weekend. Chances are good that it will make it onto a track or two out of six to be recorded.

View attachment 569574 View attachment 569575 View attachment 569576 View attachment 569577 View attachment 569578 View attachment 569581

I bought a "never played" (until a month ago when I did :)), made DEC 1997 same seamless Yamaha copper 5.5x14...wonderful...I wonder if you can tell me the thickness of shell? maybe 1.2mm or 1.5mm or? Would love to know, but can't seem to find info on it

Reaction score
I bought a "never played" (until a month ago when I did :)), made DEC 1997 same seamless Yamaha copper 5.5x14...wonderful...I wonder if you can tell me the thickness of shell? maybe 1.2mm or 1.5mm or? Would love to know, but can't seem to find info on it
These are 1.2mm

1670286759674.png

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah... a copper thread. I really have a soft spot (no metal punn intended) for copper snare drums. Here are mine... all Tama, but I'd like a Copperphonic someday.

Tama PC455HN 5.5x14 Hand-Hammered Copper
View attachment 581777 View attachment 581778

Tama PCP147 Starphonic 7x14 Copper
View attachment 581779 View attachment 581780

Tama TCH1465H Star Reserve 6.5x14 Hand-Hammered Copper
View attachment 581781 View attachment 581782
Well, both the Star reserve copper and the Starphonic are on my list but the Star Reserve is so high now!!! Great 3 copper snare setting, you did good!! The Die cast hoops on the Star reserve is nice, very classy but I think I prefer the original hoops, I don't know but at least, very classy!!!

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Arrived today and just finished adding chrome over brass hoops, Canopus bolt tight washers, and Canopus snare wires and belt, and the Gruv x click which I just started getting to know. View attachment 596064
Well, I said I don,t like Imperial lugs but on this snare, with this color, they are perfect lugs for the snare...Finally a ludwig i would love to get. So, what is it exactly? Ludwig hammered copper, finished in ?? And the lugs and hoosp seems more gold ish / yellow ish, are they really only Chrome over brass hoops?

fitzsy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I said I don,t like Imperial lugs but on this snare, with this color, they are perfect lugs for the snare...Finally a ludwig i would love to get. So, what is it exactly? Ludwig hammered copper, finished in ?? And the lugs and hoosp seems more gold ish / yellow ish, are they really only Chrome over brass hoops?
Hammered copperphonic standard finish. Yes basic chrome over brass hoops from drum factory direct which I have used for years and really like

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oriollo Bakar 70-

img_4841-jpg.492730

(Not my photo, this one is from the previous owner. The drum is at my practice space now, so I can't snap a pic.)

I've had this one for about a year, but haven't had an opportunity to use it with a group until recently. Still experimenting with tuning, and trying to find the sweet spot. Right now I've got it tuned down and dampened a bit, it's awesome- a very powerful sound. I'm planning to use this snare in a session on Tuesday, I'll post the mix if I end up using this drum.
Hey there -

I realize this thread is now a few months old, but I’m wondering if you have had a chance to try this snare in a group or live setting, as I’m considering getting a Bakar for myself. Thanks!

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Arrived today and just finished adding chrome over brass hoops, Canopus bolt tight washers, and Canopus snare wires and belt, and the Gruv x click which I just started getting to know. View attachment 596064
In this color and hammered, it's a beauty...Some will be happy to see that I could like the imperial lugs...maybe my soul could be saved at the end? Ok, I have already replied to it!!!

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah... a copper thread. I really have a soft spot (no metal punn intended) for copper snare drums. Here are mine... all Tama, but I'd like a Copperphonic someday.

Tama PC455HN 5.5x14 Hand-Hammered Copper
View attachment 581777 View attachment 581778

Tama PCP147 Starphonic 7x14 Copper
View attachment 581779 View attachment 581780

Tama TCH1465H Star Reserve 6.5x14 Hand-Hammered Copper
View attachment 581781 View attachment 581782
I ,m really surprised, you were able to find tube lugs that fits the former holes?? Which ones? and you have changed the hoops form the Tama ones to ?? Why?

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Either way, it's all Tama parts - I just like setting up my snares a certain way. They look great modified or stock. The main thing is you play them and enjoy them :cool:

Thank you. The Starphonic system is excellent both in functionality and looks. Right now I have the bubinga (to match my set), mappa burl (with an exquisite outer ply), and copper... I enjoy playing them all. I would really like a bell brass, but I never found one at a reasonable price. Congratulations!
I have the Mappa Burl, I bought it on a wimp just because the look was so beautiful but don't regret it at all sound wise...The Copper is on my list, the Star Reserve was a swell, but tough to justify again 1800$. I have already bought 2 star reserve, quite a bit crazy but, they are so good...I have no Bubinga though...

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up this Inde copper snare. Complete coincidence that I bought it...was at a local store to work out a trade on some cymbals and I saw this literally sitting on the floor. I had zero intentions of buying a snare that day, but I couldn't resist. View attachment 585637
Love this one too, welll, the Starphonic and this one could be a good choice for me...

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Temple Drums is a custom builder out of Houston, TX. I happened to stumble across them in my search for a seamless copper snare - and after watching a couple of videos of that drum in action, decided to give a call to the owner, Jordan Hatfield. Super passionate about building great drums, and with some unique design approaches (check out the floating snare mount, for instance). After learning about the pricing, which I think is incredibly reasonable given the quality of the build, my buddy and I decided to buy a pair of these drums, identical in every way except for finish, which we plan to A/B and divvy up this weekend. Having played on them a bit independently, I am loving the fullness, openness, and that rich copper tone - and struggling with which I want to keep!

View attachment 574205
I think we have a guy with some rosewood temple drums on the forum isn,t it? I think i prefer the copper color one, not the green one.

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there -

I realize this thread is now a few months old, but I’m wondering if you have had a chance to try this snare in a group or live setting, as I’m considering getting a Bakar for myself. Thanks!

I've only used it in recording/rehearsal situations. it recorded incredibly well, the group and engineer both really liked it, the engineer was interested in one for himself. However, i had it tuned down and dampened for a particular effect, so i wasn't letting it really do it's thing(but it still worked fabulously) I've only played one live gig on drums in the last few years, and used an Oriollo steel(which also got rave reviews).

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only used it in recording/rehearsal situations. it recorded incredibly well, the group and engineer both really liked it, the engineer was interested in one for himself. However, i had it tuned down and dampened for a particular effect, so i wasn't letting it really do it's thing(but it still worked fabulously) I've only played one live gig on drums in the last few years, and used an Oriollo steel(which also got rave reviews).
Thanks for the quick reply!
I’m glad that it worked out for your recording session :)