Show us your Custom/Boutique drums!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
NOBLE AND COOLEY STAR SERIES
I purchased this Noble and Cooley Star Series kit back in 1992 - the shells have a manufacturing date of 1988. This is the series made of single ply wood shells (except for the bass drum) and are mounted on RIMS hardware. The drum sizes are: 12 x 6 rack tom, 14 x 7 floor tom, 16 x 8 floor tom, 22 x 16 bass drum, and I've got a funky Legend Maple 5" snare drum (still regretting selling a NC/Zildjian 6.5" bell brass snare a while ago). Drums are in SoCal and have always been stored and transported in custom ATA cases. Lacquer paint is still in great condition (looks like a Ferrari color), no cracks or delamination of the shells, all bearing edges appear to be perfect. Sonically, this kit is a monster ... when using heads slightly detuned, toms sound FAT. The only aging issue is there is some slight pitting in the chrome lugs and hardware after 32 years of use (isn't that desirable as patina now, LOL).
Those of you familiar with this brand/model know what you are looking at, and how they aren't seen often because few were made..... I'd be curious to know what some of you think this kit is worth? I've been having some thoughts lately ..... I know the forum rules - this isn't a formal "for sale" listing, just trying to get some advice right now .... I do appreciate the wisdom here.
View attachment 436894
Great kit - I think you could expect to get at least $4500 for your kit from the right buyer that realizes how rare and fantastic these drums are .

LBCD

Reaction score
My Radio King clone. 7 x 14 Vaughncraft shell. I didn't build it originally. I changed the Trick throw to a chrome version and added Gretsch 302 hoops after I got it.

The second picture is one of my 7 x 14 Valley Drum Shop snares from ~1980. Passed around a few times before I bought it.

Lastly, my Inde Drum Lab snare, 6.5 x 14 with brass hoops.
that Radio king clone is Gorgeous!

someday I’ll get to finishing this

EC66802C-4A5D-446B-8D48-0A20618C81A3.jpeg

lawsater

Reaction score
5x14 1/4 sawn bubinga stave snare - the shell was made by Frankie at Unix I did the bearing edges drilling and beds, i tried to use the minimum number of finish coats i could and only 1 coat of tung oil to seal the interior. This is my main studio snare it is really versatile nice to play and great sounding.
IMG_3264crop.jpg

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, Ray!
Looks like you've finished making the trashcan set.
Could you please elaborate on the build process, sizes and sound?
Yeah, finished them awhile back and they've been sitting around so, thought I'd set them up. I wanted to try this back in the 90's. Just never did.

The purpose was to add another video to the drum shell series. Trash cans don't come in anything that meets "hype" criteria. Obviously no structural integrity at 1 or 2mm thick. No bearing edges; just rolled over tops and a crimped bottom edge. I did file anything that felt sharp.

I just took a jig saw and cut out the bottoms. I looked online and someone does sell a trash can drum. I think he's in Ohio or Indiana or one of the central states. Nice guy. He leaves the metal bottom in place.

The "lugs" are just blocks of wood barely shaped to fit the cone and a couple screws holding them in place. Tension rods just pass through a hole and tighten to a star nut that bites into the wood. All different size blocks to accommodate the head sizes, which are all over the map. All I could do was get close. Just one head actually fit at it's collar. The rest all stick out to one distance or another.

The Tom has a 14 and 12. The FT has an 18 and 16. The BD has a 22 and 18. Spurs and legs are just aluminum bar stock and some old brackets I had in a box. I made a simple cradle for the pedal:

cradle.jpg

The cradle attaches to the hoop. I was surprised how good it works for what it is. The mark you see is from the pedal link rubbing before I put the beater in place. The beater strikes before the link hits the wood, in action.

The drums sound good, all things considered, and I expected them to. You know my philosophy on that subject. The tom, owing to it's depth (12.5"), sounds pretty tubby. Same for the FT but, not as noticeable because of the increased volume. The BD is a cannon and I just left it fairly open; just a few short pieces of weather stripping on the head. I just used whatever heads I had. I take that back. I got a couple single ply heads for the tom. Everything is just clear, single ply, Attack or Evans, one Aquarian, and 2-ply for the 22."

One interesting thing. The drums sound the same regardless of which side you strike. The sound waves travel the cone and cancel out their individual pitches and just meet somewhere in the middle, no matter how I tension them. The 14 and 12 produce the same relative pitch when either is struck. Perhaps someone here could explain the science behind that.

Oh, and the snare is a 7x13, thick aluminum shell a friend made for me back in the 90's. He worked at an aircraft plant. I placed Legend lugs on it to match my big set. I love those Legend lugs. Can't find them anymore.

I'll try and make a video today.

Last edited:

purity

Reaction score
A couple more snare pics.
Please stop posting in this thread...it hurts. Amazing stuff though, very nice collection.

Don't know why I never noticed this before, but the lugs on your bottom left Unix snare seem to be heavily influenced by Ayotte's design. They look great and I wish there was somewhere on the aftermarket that you could buy them.

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! That top snare with the wood hoops is drop dead gorgeous! Tell me about it.
Thanks ; ]
Vaughncraft solid birdseye maple 7x14 shell. Local drum builder cut pretty round-over edges, beds etc. Trick hardware. Yamaha woodhoops. l'm now waiting for adjustable tube lugs for it because single bolt lugs with a small footprint are downright bad news for the shell. They create pressure points on the shell. But it sounds as good as it looks !

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, finished them awhile back and they've been sitting around so, thought I'd set them up. I wanted to try this back in the 90's. Just never did.

The purpose was to add another video to the drum shell series. Trash cans don't come in anything that meets "hype" criteria. Obviously no structural integrity at 1 or 2mm thick. No bearing edges; just rolled over tops and a crimped bottom edge. I did file anything that felt sharp.

I just took a jig saw and cut out the bottoms. I looked online and someone does sell a trash can drum. I think he's in Ohio or Indiana or one of the central states. Nice guy. He leaves the metal bottom in place.

The "lugs" are just blocks of wood barely shaped to fit the cone and a couple screws holding them in place. Tension rods just pass through a hole and tighten to a star nut that bites into the wood. All different size blocks to accommodate the head sizes, which are all over the map. All I could do was get close. Just one head actually fit at it's collar. The rest all stick out to one distance or another.

The Tom has a 14 and 12. The FT has an 18 and 16. The BD has a 22 and 18. Spurs and legs are just aluminum bar stock and some old brackets I had in a box. I made a simple cradle for the pedal:

View attachment 437529

The cradle attaches to the hoop. I was surprised how good it works for what it is. The mark you see is from the pedal link rubbing before I put the beater in place. The beater strikes before the link hits the wood, in action.

The drums sound good, all things considered, and I expected them to. You know my philosophy on that subject. The tom, owing to it's depth (12.5"), sounds pretty tubby. Same for the FT but, not as noticeable because of the increased volume. The BD is a cannon and I just left it fairly open; just a few short pieces of weather stripping on the head. I just used whatever heads I had. I take that back. I got a couple single ply heads for the tom. Everything is just clear, single ply, Attack or Evans, one Aquarian, and 2-ply for the 22."

One interesting thing. The drums sound the same regardless of which side you strike. The sound waves travel the cone and cancel out their individual pitches and just meet somewhere in the middle, no matter how I tension them. The 14 and 12 produce the same relative pitch when either is struck. Perhaps someone here could explain the science behind that.

Oh, and the snare is a 7x13, thick aluminum shell a friend made for me back in the 90's. He worked at an aircraft plant. I placed Legend lugs on it to match my big set. I love those Legend lugs. Can't find them anymore.

I'll try and make a video today.

That is amazing. Nice work. You're kind of a mad (drum) scientist. I love it, man.

That thing you said about conical drums... so strange.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is amazing. Nice work. You're kind of a mad (drum) scientist. I love it, man.

That thing you said about conical drums... so strange.
Muuahahaha. :happy2::sign7:

Actually, I am doing another video today to address a couple things that have come up. I turned the kick around and instantly noticed it is not quite as loud, which seems really bizarre. The drum is a little louder with the 18" single ply than the 22" dble ply for a batter. The 18" throws out more energy into the cylinder getting larger, than the 22" with sound waves moving into the smaller area of the cone. Not a huge difference but, noticeable.