SHOW US YOUR HATS

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was taking photos for insurance purposes.

All Zildjian. From left to right:

Low Volume: Sadly, the most played right now.

14” Old Beats. 792 g. bottom and haven’t weighed the top for some reason, but it says “Top Hi Hat” and “Thin”, and it’s lighter than the bottom. And it’s old. I got these for lower volume stuff, mostly rehearsals with too many people in too small a space. Yeah, like that’s happening. Adopted them separately as orphans. I think I ended up paying less than $100 for both. I think that’s a good way to find an amazing bargain, seeking old solo hats and pairing them. I sometimes use the bottom with a my New Beat top as a bottom for a sort of medium volume thing.

14” New Beats 971/1479, hollow logo. I need to weigh these again as that seems like a big spread on the top-to-bottom ratio. But they are New Beats and they are nice. My main hats for years. I could have stopped there.

14” K Custom Dark I don’t know the weights and I think they are pretty consistent as to the line. Great rock and pop hats. Do they make these in 15? That’d be perfect.

15” K Lights: 1319 bottom over 1132. Great low and wide notes for organic music where you don’t want hats cutting into the mix like an X-acto knife. These are my favorite worn in jeans.

B1543D9B-1D42-46AA-9081-713C72C41795.jpeg

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two of those, the L's and K's and three other sets.. which come to think of it I didn't realize I had that many already.

No pics of them though, we're moving, bought a house in town, everything's boxed up.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was taking photos for insurance purposes.

All Zildjian. From left to right:

Low Volume: Sadly, the most played right now.

14” Old Beats. 792 g. bottom and haven’t weighed the top for some reason, but it says “Top Hi Hat” and “Thin”, and it’s lighter than the bottom. And it’s old. I got these for lower volume stuff, mostly rehearsals with too many people in too small a space. Yeah, like that’s happening. Adopted them separately as orphans. I think I ended up paying less than $100 for both. I think that’s a good way to find an amazing bargain, seeking old solo hats and pairing them. I sometimes use the bottom with a my New Beat top as a bottom for a sort of medium volume thing.

14” New Beats 971/1479, hollow logo. I need to weigh these again as that seems like a big spread on the top-to-bottom ratio. But they are New Beats and they are nice. My main hats for years. I could have stopped there.

14” K Custom Dark I don’t know the weights and I think they are pretty consistent as to the line. Great rock and pop hats. Do they make these in 15? That’d be perfect.

15” K Lights: 1319 bottom over 1132. Great low and wide notes for organic music where you don’t want hats cutting into the mix like an X-acto knife. These are my favorite worn in jeans.

View attachment 466958
Dang. You have a lot of clutches.

Also, which do you like the best?

varatrodder

Reaction score
I need to get some photos of them, but I got a set of old A's from Facebook marketplace a few months ago. They are 14", and about 750g over 800g. They don't have a stamp anywhere on them, but they are very obviously late 40's, early 50's A Zildjians based on the hammering, lathing, hole size and cup shape. They do have a tiny pin hole in the bell of the bottom cymbal.

The seller had listed them as "14 inch used drum cymbals - $10". When I got there I knew exactly what they were, so I gave her $30. She was happy to get triple her listing price.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang. You have a lot of clutches.

Also, which do you like the best?
Probably the Remo clutch.... I think except for the orphan Old Beats all those used hats came with their own.

Oh, wait. Did you mean which hats do I like the best? Back and forth between the two sets of Ks, but more so the K Lights because they nestle in the mix.

I like the K Darks for those louder outdoor settings, but before lock down I was using the K Lights more. I'd even use them in a rock setting as they sounded better at this one particular venue one of my bands regularly played that had really bad acoustics.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the Remo clutch.... I think except for the orphan Old Beats all those used hats came with their own.

Oh, wait. Did you mean which hats do I like the best? Back and forth between the two sets of Ks, but more so the K Lights because they nestle in the mix.

I like the K Darks for those louder outdoor settings, but before lock down I was using the K Lights more. I'd even use them in a rock setting as they sounded better at this one particular venue one of my bands regularly played that had really bad acoustics.
You said sadly you're playing the L's more often, same here, went to them and mesh toms.

I was surprised though how loud the "chick" was on them, I'm going to say they're pretty close to standard hats.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not so much hats, pretty happy with the ones I have.
14 A MasterSound, set
14 Z DynoBeat bottom (stray, ebay I think)
14 K top (from Blueshadow, thank you again)

The 14 MS bottom, with K top have gotten 99% of the play time for years, I like em!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which stamp is in the last picture?
Edit: sorry, you changed it. (no I didn't-jda) The last K pictured?
New Stamp Old K.
The K is very faint'.. That's the "possessed" one ; ) I bot from Chris Fischer ('with a fair warning..').

I unlocked it's secret)

here's 3 pics of it.

hattage 016.JPG hattage 017.JPG hattage 018.JPG

hattage 016.JPG
hattage 017.JPG
hattage 018.JPG

It's erm.."Ghostly..bwaaaah

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I'm currently running. Subject to change with the wind and weather.

15 Paiste Masters Dark Hats - 879g / 1330g
14 Sabian HH Prototype Hats - 885g / 1164g
14 Paiste Twenty Light Hats - 1030g/1323g
16 Paiste 2002 Big Beat Hats - 969g/1162g
15 Zildjian A New Beat Hats - 953g / 1593g
14 Zildjian A New Beat Hat - 906g/1190g

IMG_8932.jpeg

My absolute favorite hats - 14 Sabian HH Prototype Hats - 885g / 1164g

IMG_7490.jpeg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I'm currently running. Subject to change with the wind and weather.

15 Paiste Masters Dark Hats - 879g / 1330g
14 Sabian HH Prototype Hats - 885g / 1164g
14 Paiste Twenty Light Hats - 1030g/1323g
16 Paiste 2002 Big Beat Hats - 969g/1162g
15 Zildjian A New Beat Hats - 953g / 1593g
14 Zildjian A New Beat Hat - 906g/1190g

View attachment 467037

My absolute favorite hats - 14 Sabian HH Prototype Hats - 885g / 1164g

View attachment 467035
Prototype for what?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prototype for what?

I honestly don’t know. When they would make me a cymbal, it came with the “Prototype” label.
I have had rides and crashes and effect cymbals wearing it, also. But, I don’t remember asking them for these, so I can’t speak too deeply on them. I cannot recall offhand when or where or even why I have these. I’ve had a LOT of Sabians run through my home over the years. These hats just never make it out the door. They are special.
This is just a sweet pair of perfect hand hammered hats.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Ian S

Reaction score
Jebus! That’s allotta fancy hats.
I agree. Thanks for sharing, JDA, I'd probably cry if I saw your entire cymbal collection. I sure wouldn't mind listening to that ghostly possessed hi-hat with the unlocked secrets.

Anyway right now I have a simple collection of a few 14" 60's A splashes, cute and mellow little guys. But my main hats.. alright I charged up my silly little camera to "show and tell" my strange and possibly disturbing "main" hats. Some may laugh, I won't take it hard, and I have no audio to prove anyone wrong at the moment anyway.

These are 16". The top is a 60's A crash, 1,038g, which I got a great deal on due to a slight keyhole. Okay, probably no one is offended so far. Was looking for another of similar pedigree to match with, but couldn't find anything in my budget right away, so I grabbed a few cheap crashes hoping to get by until I could afford a match. One of them was a Zildjian Edge Razor Crash, apparently B8 sheet bronze from the 90s! I got him with $40. Planned to leave these cheap stuff hung up as crash trash for people to bang on if my buddy let a stranger play my kit etc. But I could not have planned this, I put this Razor thing on the bottom and poof. I mean I will probably still search out some pedigree at some point, but.. I was stunned. I wish I could share some audio.

0.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

Last edited: