Show Us Your Rides

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
3FB0C058-C11C-4ED3-A735-D33FBC981BA4.jpeg

If you have more than one, let’s see them. (And if you have only one, The One, I envy you.)
I got some stands and put them around my practice pad kit to compare my rides sonically next to each other. Something I’ve never done. First off, I was surprised I have six. In this setting: No drums, no band, just a tag team battle royale of rides competing mano a mano with rides. For me, side by side, was a great way to understand my stable. I was pleased at how very different they were, and surprised which one I liked the best.

High Noon: 20” K Con Medium 1972 g.

1 o’clock: early 60’s 20” Avedis 1848 g.

5 o’clock: 20” K Custom Dark 2154 g.

7 o’clock: 20” late 60’s Avedis medium with three rivets 2143 g.

11 o’clock 21” Sabian HH Raw Bell Dry Ride about 3000 g.

Center: 20” K “Ride” 2418 g.

Clockwise from noon:

I haven’t yet bonded with the Constantinople. More my issues than the cymbal’s;

The dirty old A is really a great big crash and washy ride. Often comes to gigs as my left side ride/crash. (This is weaning me from over-crashing);

The K Custom Dark, I don’t like it by itself but really like it with a full band at medium volumes;

The Avedis sizzle: Really a lovely smooth shimmering sound, and I should play it more;

Raw Bell Dry Ride, my only Sabian and just a wonderful bar gig cymbal on stage with a rock band, darkish ping. Good for gently herding wayward band members;
And the winner is the K Ride in the middle. Only ride cymbal I’ve ever bought new. It’s just such a rideful, ridy, ridish ride. It sounds like what I’m trying to sing when I imitate a ride pattern on a drum part. It’s the most middle-of-the road, non-specialized ride I have. Can’t crash it, but it just works for what it’s supposed to do. To my ear it can handle “So What” or “What’s so Funny About Peace Love and Understanding”. And every stick mark on it is mine alone.

What do you have, and what am I missing?

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I only have 2 rides at the moment, but I'd definitely like to collect some more in the future. They've always been my favorite type of cymbal.

This one I just got a few weeks ago to replace the one I stupidly sold years back. It's a 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Jazz Ride. Brilliant finish, and weighing in at 1827g. I'm still getting to know it, but so far so good! It's very complex. Sweet and shimmery, yet dark and smokey at the same time. Amazing bell, and it opens up easily with a beautiful crash. I'm not positive, but I think it's from the late '90s or early 2000s?

IMG_20200702_234859.jpg

The other is a 21" Sabian AA Dry Ride I've had for a couple of years now. I think this one is probably late '80s or early '90s? I don't remember it's exact weight and forgot to write it under the bell, but I want to say it's around 3100g. Very thick and heavy with a super clean, beautiful ping. It's pretty much the opposite of the Jazz Ride, but they sound great together!

Screenshot_2018-06-14-07-41-30-1-01.jpeg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the thread. CC, thanks for speaking from the heart. Sounds like you really know those pies. I'm jealous.
I've thought about buying a 20" K Ride and getting rid of everything. I feel like that would really test me. To just learn how to play it every way it can be played. I could just stop my search all together.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Great thread, makes me want to spang my lang! While things continue to change, these are my mainstays and three that I absolutely love for different reasons. Forgive me for not listing weights, I don't recall them offhand. From the bottom:

22" Zildjian K Ride: The newest, heaviest and easily the most versatile ride I have. Took a chance and got it new for a major discount off of Amazon. This is the archetypal ride sound I hear in my head (not unlike the 20" CC was talking about). Very woody stick sound (like the Keropes I used to have), but plenty of projection, not too much wash and a very playable bell (unlike the Keropes I used to have).

21" Zildjian Avedis Ride: The most complex sounding ride I have, it has a lot of character and vibe to it. I've heard it said that this is the jazziest cymbal in the Avedis line, and wouldn't disagree having tried the others as well (it's nothing like the 22"). Plenty of wash but never loses articulation, and seems to have a bit of built in sparkle and sizzle to it.

21" Zildjian K Custom Organic Ride: Very dry but slightly metallic sounding, and a surprisingly crashable cymbal (albeit with very short sustain). I hemmed and hawed, and ended up installing three rivets myself. They improved the sound and function of this ride immeasurably, and it now works beautifully as a left side ride. Somehow the rivets also made it sound less metallic and more woody to my ears too.

Attachments

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste
Twenty 20”
Dry Dark 20”
Dry Heavy 21”
Heavy Bell 20”

Had a Sabian HH brilliant Rock ride 22” and AAX Metal 20” that I sold off and should have kept.

Reaction score
What is it with drummers and cycling? I'm into it too, and was very surprised to see how many other drummers on this forum are cycling enthusiasts as well. Is it the rhythm of gears and pedalling? Maintaining a smooth cadence? A love of round shapes? A general love of movement and time? This is fodder for another thread, so my apologies, but you've got me thinking....

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great thread, makes me want to spang my lang! While things continue to change, these are my mainstays and three that I absolutely love for different reasons. Forgive me for not listing weights, I don't recall them offhand. From the bottom:

22" Zildjian K Ride: The newest, heaviest and easily the most versatile ride I have. Took a chance and got it new for a major discount off of Amazon. This is the archetypal ride sound I hear in my head (not unlike the 20" CC was talking about). Very woody stick sound (like the Keropes I used to have), but plenty of projection, not too much wash and a very playable bell (unlike the Keropes I used to have).

21" Zildjian Avedis Ride: The most complex sounding ride I have, it has a lot of character and vibe to it. I've heard it said that this is the jazziest cymbal in the Avedis line, and wouldn't disagree having tried the others as well (it's nothing like the 22"). Plenty of wash but never loses articulation, and seems to have a bit of built in sparkle and sizzle to it.

21" Zildjian K Custom Organic Ride: Very dry but slightly metallic sounding, and a surprisingly crashable cymbal (albeit with very short sustain). I hemmed and hawed, and ended up installing three rivets myself. They improved the sound and function of this ride immeasurably, and it now works beautifully as a left side ride. Somehow the rivets also made it sound less metallic and more woody to my ears too.

That's a fine list.
What general weight range is your Avedis? They can come in a number of different weights, right?

Reaction score
That's a fine list.
What general weight range is your Avedis? They can come in a number of different weights, right?
Thanks D.B.!
I don't have a scale, but the Avedis all come with the weights written under the bell, (and yes, they vary quite a bit). My 21" is 2226 g. I tried a 22" in store (can't recall the weight), but to me it had too much wash to stick definition, and seemed to get a bit unruly and out of control in a way that other less than great 22's can. The 21" wasn't on the sales floor, as they thought it was so pretty it was on display in the window. When I wasn't quite thrilled with the 22", they remembered having the 21" elsewhere and brought it out. Sold!

The weights and other less tangible factors do make a huge difference with this line as you mentioned. I have a complete set, and they were chosen from many in store. I tried two pairs of 14" hats and a 15" pair, and really wanted to love the 15's. One pair of 14's was clearly the winner though, so I went with those. Same for an 18", I was lucky enough to compare two; one was a total dog, and the other is now my favourite crash which is also surprisingly rideable with a great bell. The best of the Avedis line are really special with unique character, but the worst are just meh.

jmoll

Reaction score
I use all my cymbals as rides and crashes, so, I've included the 18's on the pictures.

All of them are Zildjian K Istanbul.

18" (left to right):

- Old Stamp IIb
- Old Stamp III
- Old Stamp IIIc
IMG_0892.jpg

20" (L to R):

- Old Stamp IIIc
- Old Stamp IIIb
- Old Stamp IIIb
- Old Stamp III
- Old Stamp IIb
IMG_0896.jpg

22" (L to R):

- New Stamp
- Intermediate Stamp
- Old Stamp IIIb
IMG_0895.jpg

And a picture of all of them together:
IMG_0890.jpg

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Sorry, the hats sneaked in...

All Istanbul Agop.

22,5" Lenny White Epoch (2612 g)
22"-ish 30th (2016 g)
23" Matt Chamberlain Signature (2730 g)
22" early Agop Signature (2317 g)
14" custom thin (620/726 g) Agop Signature hi hats

Missing: 23" V-Classic crash/ride

Attachments

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use all my cymbals as rides and crashes, so, I've included the 18's on the pictures.

All of them are Zildjian K Istanbul.

18" (left to right):

- Old Stamp IIb
- Old Stamp III
- Old Stamp IIIc
View attachment 451542

20" (L to R):

- Old Stamp IIIc
- Old Stamp IIIb
- Old Stamp IIIb
- Old Stamp III
- Old Stamp IIb
View attachment 451543

22" (L to R):

- New Stamp
- Intermediate Stamp
- Old Stamp IIIb
View attachment 451544

And a picture of all of them together:
View attachment 451545
Whoa. Quite a beautiful collection of Cilician shields.

Latest posts