Show us your Summit Drums

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well a number of us have discovered the genius of Gary Posey at Summit Drums and have purchased snare drums and kits from him . How about posting a pic of your Summit drum(s) and a short blurb on how you came into them ?

I have a travel kit built by Gary Posey @Treviso1 was telling me about this guy making steambent drums . I listened but kept thinking “ How good can these be ?” . Well Treviso1 asked me what my address was , told me he had something for me . A gift. A few weeks later a package arrived . I opened it and this wonderful incredibly figured 8” Sassafras snare was inside . I had never owned an 8” snare let alone play one . I was surprised how lightweight the snare was . It is a superb drum with a huge tuning range. Made me a fan of 8” deep snares .

Now my dream set for a long time has been a N&C Star series kit . The sound of those steambent Toms is magical . I inquired if Gary would be able to make me a steambent kit with short stack Toms and a 10” deep 20” bass drum . I purchased the hardware and sent some to Gary to drill the shells when done . He nested and shipped the finished drilled shells to me and ai assembled them and added some stellar wood hoops . I have to honestly tell you - these might be the finest quality drums I have ever owned . You all know I have had a LOT of kits so this is no idle praise . It is sincere and honest .
So let’s see those Summit Drums !!
4A4B25E4-1B12-4798-BF02-8AF8B59B0CFB.jpeg
1054F371-C1DC-4DD3-A683-549DA7BAEFE1.jpeg
CF7782DD-ABDC-42D7-A642-0DB6E3E15123.jpeg
3933A6A4-03C5-4EDD-82CD-9D3883174891.jpeg
073AD83C-0F33-4E3D-B451-8049AA0A3509.jpeg
032D1B6B-B689-49C4-8985-32DA30062997.jpeg
B85B76B8-1CE3-4344-A2A9-6CC1C81C61DB.jpeg
7C177198-484F-423B-A87D-6C222141E5C6.jpeg

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My story is similar to @NobleCooleyNut in that @Treviso1 got me connected to Gary and it has been a wonderful thing! My first snare (curly maple 6.5x14) was a winner and made me want more. I also bought (on impulse) an experimental shell he had made out of box elder and that tone wasn’t for me, so I sold it with his blessing. Here are those two (got them at the same time).
A1A38644-FA94-4869-9012-616DC1A3A682.jpeg

Then I took the plunge on something I had always wanted, a set of drums made of mahogany. My set has absolutely blown me away with a sound that is way bigger than these sizes would suggest (20/12/14).
4643A582-EA51-4FF6-B327-73155E7BDDD2.jpeg

After that, Gary and I talked about a plan I had to help get his drums out to people who might not be likely to order and wait — either because they don’t know what they want, or because they don’t want to wait, or because they buy on impulse when they see a drum they like. So I did two things. I had him build a walnut snare for me that I could send out on tour to DFO members so they could play his work. Then I also ordered several drums from him and have started functioning as a kind of middle man for selling new snare drums, with his full support and blessing. Here are some of those drums, not including one or two that sold before getting the photo treatment, and the tour snare, and more on the way.

72470A89-D788-44A3-96E8-0EDFB4C348C5.jpeg
771F9473-A994-4353-9E68-56003846B9E3.jpeg
997BA826-4FC6-4CA8-877F-86AE9B2A5BBE.jpeg
36284935-889E-4A24-AF28-53D61FA154B0.jpeg
DC28AFB9-BE9F-471A-A881-67DDA630BD16.jpeg
61BF9995-CDCD-4DF9-86F6-BDAF59A597E1.jpeg

C2EA7DC5-0C31-4821-8AE6-EB14D6678891.jpeg

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love a 'Lets hear your Summit drums' thread.

I’m sure those entries can be included here. I regret to say that due to my novice level recording experience and my low level recording gear, I haven’t been able to record my Summits at a decent quality, but I’m plugging away at it and will include what I can when I can. Here’s the best entry in that vein by far, so far. It’s a recording of the tour snare drum, a Black Walnut 5x14.

sonically:
i think it's obvious that i'm a convert. i'll let the soundcloud files speak for me (there are 15!)...most of them were part of a much larger loop library project i've been commissioned to make...when the guys at the studio heard this drum (and i'd brought 6 other snares for that days' session) they were so blown away that we spent 3 of the 5 hour day working with the summit!
mind you...these are the basic, raw files...unmixed, unmastered...
the only other drum that made it to tape that day was a keplinger black iron 4x14 (nobody wanted to hear another wood drum after this walnut!)...they've asked me to try and procure a deep 13" in walnut or oak so maybe later this year before the project gets released (december '21) i'll get my own posey original :p
the other files are from a record i've been doing with a very amazing guy...david torn...and for obvious reasons i've only used some short snippets...one 'naked' rough of just drums (this is where i was heavily manipulating the snare tension!) and then the same section with electronics (by me), guitar and bass (this particular piece was 18 minutes, thru-performed!)...again, a very rough mix...to show the drum in context.

in short...gary posey is a man to be reckoned with.

https://soundcloud.com/diggamag%2Fsets%2Fsummit-black-walnut-1 https://soundcloud.com/diggamag%2Fsets%2Fsummit-black-walnut-2 https://soundcloud.com/diggamag%2Fsets%2Fsummit-black-walnut-in-the-wild

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had Gary build me a drum early this year of African Mahogany and I LOVED it! Yes, in full disclosure, I sold it to fund yet a different African Mahogany drum from another manufacture. It was a plied version that I had originally wanted and when one came up at the "right" price, I sold several snares to fund it. However, what I learned about Gary and his craftsmanship in that project was I WILL have more Summit drums in my future! Outstanding in every way.

DSC_0249 copy.jpg

20210406_203935 copy.jpg

20210406_2036091 copy.jpg

Mcdonap

Reaction score
I heard about Summit a little while back when I was researching the possibility of a solid shell kit. Of course, N&C, Craviotto and Doc Sweeney were on my radar, but the price was a little daunting for something I couldn't really try first. I mean, what if I didn't like it? So Summit came up as a more cost effective choice.

Apologies to @T_Weaves, @Eyedrum and @Summit because I am going to use some of their photos...

Thanks the @T_Weaves, I was able to get a set in July. This was originally Eyedrum's set, and I'm going to steal his picture:
DBF76A1B-5373-44B8-88F1-5744D0FA0A7F.jpeg

I got the set originally without the matching snare, but eventually @T_Weaves made that available to me, so I grabbed it when I could:

779AB961-E8C0-4F4F-82B3-DC773534F8F8.jpeg

I immediately fell in love with this kit. Just blown away by everything - the look, the build, and most importantly the sound!
Knowing Gary was getting busier and busier, I pretty much immediately contacted him to order a snare, and two toms.

In the meantime, I grabbed snare #100 since it was available:
Summit100.jpg

I was a little worried in that I never played a mahogany snare and heard some descriptions I didn't think I'd like. Gary sent me a recording, and it sounded great so I bought it.

Shortly after that, @T_Weaves made this available:
beast 1a.jpg

Soon, the snare I ordered from Gary was ready:
birdseye1.jpeg

So that's where I am so far with Summit drums. My toms (11" rack and 14" floor) will be finished soon.
I feel a little guilty for having all of these beautiful drums. I was certainly interested in them as solid shell drums, but also I had never played a mahogany, walnut and even a maple snare before. (I know that sounds crazy.)

These are phenomenal drums. I hope more people check them out soon.

Mcdonap

Reaction score
So you're really getting an 11" rack tom??

Yes. I went back and forth on it as it is such a weird size. The only heads for it will be Remo Ambassador coated and clear. At the moment, those are the only heads I'm using so it's ok. (It's always better to have a lot of choices, though...)
I felt like it would be the perfect match size-wise to the 13, and I also felt like the price was very reasonable. I don't feel like I'll be taking a bath if it doesn't work out for some reason.

To be honest, I'm completely satisfied with the set as it is. I felt a little guilty ordering the extra toms when I did. I guess I was just figuring better to get in early on a build as Gary is getting so busy.

I should also mention that working with Gary is a pleasure.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love a 'Lets hear your Summit drums' thread.
Indeed. The drums look truly beautiful, but -- no disrespect -- it's the sound that would convince me to try one.

I've had lots of people requesting that I made audio or video demos of my snares, so I did two of them. You can find them here:

Summit Drums 8x14 African Mahogany

Summit Drums 7.5x14 Black Walnut

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I see a thread about about another Summit build I stop and stare like a Meerkat.

1639369596806.png

It's not a matter of if I want a Summit Snare drum, it's a matter of when and what specs. This thread is like a greatest hits compilation. After checking out all of the builds in this thread I'm wrapping my head around just I want.

I have a lot of solid shell drums (Fifteen?!) from DW, DW/Craviotto, Gretsch, McKenzie, Noble & Cooley, and Slingerland.

I'd like to combine some of my favorite features in one drum.

Right now I'm leaning toward:

5" X 14" black walnut shell

Eight single point tube lugs

Slingerland style "Stick Saver" or single flange hoops with clips.

Canopus dry wires

The choices for the throw off and butt plate are last pieces of the puzzle that I'm mulling over. A Gibraltar George way style "Beer Tap" throw has the lead right now.

I want something minimalist and old school.

I need to reach out to Gary to see how best to make this happen and get an idea of cost. Then it will be a matter of getting the funds together.

Would Gary prefer that I get the hoops and wires myself and send them to him?

(I'm thinking out loud here...)

Mcdonap

Reaction score
Every time I see a thread about about another Summit build I stop and stare like a Meerkat.

View attachment 532953

It's not a matter of if I want a Summit Snare drum, it's a matter of when and what specs. This thread is like a greatest hits compilation. After checking out all of the builds in this thread I'm wrapping my head around just I want.

I have a lot of solid shell drums (Fifteen?!) from DW, DW/Craviotto, Gretsch, McKenzie, Noble & Cooley, and Slingerland.

I'd like to combine some of my favorite features in one drum.

Right now I'm leaning toward:

5" X 14" black walnut shell

Eight single point tube lugs

Slingerland style "Stick Saver" or single flange hoops with clips.

Canopus dry wires

The choices for the throw off and butt plate are last pieces of the puzzle that I'm mulling over. A Gibraltar George way style "Beer Tap" throw has the lead right now.

I want something minimalist and old school.

I need to reach out to Gary to see how best to make this happen and get an idea of cost. Then it will be a matter of getting the funds together.

Would Gary prefer that I get the hoops and wires myself and send them to him?

(I'm thinking out loud here...)
That sounds like an impressive solid shell collection!!

I can't imagine Gary can't meet all of your specs, but I can't speak for him.

You can do the hardware a couple of ways - you can get it all and send it to Gary, or he may be able to get it for you. That's how I did it - what I wanted was available at DFD (Drum Factory Direct). I sent the list to Gary and he took care of it. Also, because I bought a set used, when I ordered some additional toms, Gary got the matching hardware for me. Best to contact him about all of that, but needless to say, it's all easy.

The build you want is surprisingly close to my birdseye maple snare. I even have Canopus Dry wires ready for it. I currently have the plated Canopus wires on it. They sound great, so I'll leave it that way for a while. My strainer is different too - it's an Inde.

I don't want to speak for Gary, but I believe he's still trying to get snare orders done within a couple of months. Drum set orders will take longer.

Mcdonap

Reaction score
Earlier this week I received my 11" rack tom and my 14" floor tom.
Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to play them. They sound great right out of the box, but I want to experiment with tuning. (Especially since the original rack tom is a 13", so it's closer to the 14" floor.)
I also need to play around with the rack toms in terms of positioning. I'm not going to use the bass drum mount - I think 2 toms would be too much weight for the BD.
Anyway, here's a picture Gary sent to me. The figuring of the curly maple is outstanding. I'll try to get some of my own pictures soon.
Summit11&14.jpg

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week I received my 11" rack tom and my 14" floor tom.
Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to play them. They sound great right out of the box, but I want to experiment with tuning. (Especially since the original rack tom is a 13", so it's closer to the 14" floor.)
I also need to play around with the rack toms in terms of positioning. I'm not going to use the bass drum mount - I think 2 toms would be too much weight for the BD.
Anyway, here's a picture Gary sent to me. The figuring of the curly maple is outstanding. I'll try to get some of my own pictures soon.
View attachment 533776

Wonderful ! Flame maple right ?

Mcdonap

Reaction score
It's been called curly.
It really looks like either/both depending on which comparative image you look at in google images.

purity

Reaction score
That's a beautiful drum set you have Mcdonap. Very classy.

I currently have 2 snares that I got from Gary in 2021. One is a 7x14 mahogany and the other is a 6.5x14 quilted maple. I was fortunate to have seen one of his drums in person at a local shop first so I wasn't going into the purchase blind. I contacted Gary originally sometime in Nov 2020 and we worked out the details on the mahogany snare, which I received in Jan 2021. Pretty amazing turnaround time considering he had to go pick out the board along with the major holidays. I liked it so much that I bought the maple snare from him this past summer. The maple snare is absolutely fantastic but there's something special about the mahogany. I recently put some canopus wires along with a set of the barrel-style Premier cast hoops and it's become one of the best snares I've played.

IMG_0132.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonderful ! Flame maple right ?

Yep, both are names for the same flat sawn (dont believe everything you read on the net) grain feature more commonly found in North American Soft Maple. Sometimes called tiger and fiddle back as well. I pull a lot of it from our soft flat stock each month and have several drum and guitar builders that buy it when we have a nice selection. Occasionally we will find a piece of curly (or quilted) but it's very rare and in my 25 years here I have never even seen a piece of Birdseye come through the building.

Last edited: