Show us your well worn or road worn or weathered gear

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Sometimes I like my gear new and shiny, and other times I like it showing the signs of use. The patina on cymbals, the wearing surface of a coated head, to me these can be as comforting as the jig bone handles of a grandfather’s pocketknife worn smooth from years of use.
I’d like to see some of your well worn, or road worn, or weathered gear, from use, from reaction to climate, all fair game, as long as you are still playing it from time to time.
The lines have blurred regarding true wear from use. The guitar market seemed to have been hit first with the relic trend. Drums have followed.
I have mixed feelings about this. For example, I’ve had this sort of subliminal love-hate thing going with the raw brass snare trend: the Ludwigs, the A&Fs, the Oriollos, the Joyful Noises.
Visually, I like the wabi-sabi aesthetic, and then I’ll turn away as it will appear forced.
But, dang, those aforementioned raw brass drums are unique and intriguing and to my eyes stunning and from what I’ve heard fine instruments.
All the same, I got this Pearl snare, and present it here as an example that may be a mixture of possibly forced patina and natural worn/weathered. Some of what happens to our instruments is from us lovingly hitting them, and some is just them interacting with the elements, and that counts, too.
This is a solid, full-sounding brass drum recently acquired for not too much silver. This is not my wear on the drum, but I respect it’s journey. What really amazes me is the diversity of sound I can get merely by changing the snare tension from song to song as needed, as I experienced the other night playing in a cavernous bar with a cover band. Once that hit me, it doesn’t matter what it looks like.
It is, I believe, a Pearl Sensitone Classic II which has seen some mileage. The rims have some pitting and some of you might be wincing at die cast hoops choking a brass drum. Personally, I think this drum is a great all-rounder for what I do.
Back on topic, the shell doesn’t appear to have any coating and has some patina, which I’ve tried to show in photos here in different lighting. The badge shows signs of wear around the edges so perhaps something was done, aggressive polishing with something too gritty, maybe sanding off the shell’s coating to accelerate aging.
The rim pitting perhaps tells of a damp environment or careless storage, or gigs on the Lido Deck by the prior owner.
I don’t know if brass Sensitones were ever made with no shell coating, and I’m curious if anyone knows. In any event, it’s not visually perfect but it functions well and sounds great.
I was going to remove the hardware and polish the shell but maybe I’ll just leave it’s wabi-sabi alone. It is after all a Sensi Tone.
We often share our best here but...would love to see your funky old used stuff....
B2A05E97-66F8-441A-89BB-98A64D0E70DE.jpeg
FCCBAB6C-3F64-4734-AFC1-F79F1E5E3738.jpeg
010CE3A6-3EA2-4DF4-B9BE-AC657B3CF784.jpeg
81D89C8D-8B44-48CD-B06E-2F25FE8BBB6A.jpeg

Attachments

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the newer brass sensitones come in that finish, would make sense with the tube lugs. Awesome snares.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is probably the most worn piece of gear I have; a 17” Zildjian K Dark Crash with a severely bent edge. It is the only cymbal I own that is not a Paiste and it sounds great. I was helping a widow sell her Jazz drummer husbands collection and nobody wanted this duckling because of the warp so I kept it. Glad I did.

C87FFBBA-8158-4C69-8C33-AD39DC525D49.jpeg

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
That hardware case is younger than me, but more well-travelled and with better tattoos.

nopork

Reaction score
Here's my 1920's Ludwig Brass, 6.5 x14, 8 lugger I use all the time. Someone ground the nickel plating off years ago and painted it. I stripped the paint and sanded it as smooth as I could a few years ago and have just let the thing patina out, put on some old COB triple flanges and a modern throw-off and butt. Lots of extra holes, but it is my favorite snare out probably 40 plus I own. It goes to every gig and everyone comments on how good it sounds.
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_5741.JPG

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Here's the oldest drumming relic I own. I bought it new in 1975 and it went on every gig with every band for decades including Canada, Alaska, most of the western USA and a couple cruise ship stints. I used it on my first records in the 80s.
You can see the skateboard grip tape I put on years ago and the linkage brackets my Dad fashioned from steel after I wore thru the originals.

SN852237.JPG
SN852238.JPG
SN852235.JPG

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I sometimes play with a bass player that plays a 1970 Fender Jazz bass that he got second hand from a friend in 1971. I guess his friend bought it new and ended up selling it shortly afterwards to the guy I play with. He has played that bass so much that there is a huge cavity where his thumb rests as the wood has just worn away! there must be over a million gigs on that bass!

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMAG1453.jpg
IMAG1454.jpg

I bought this K Custom ride from a Mars Music store going out of business about 18 years ago. It has been the most consistent item on my kit and I've been watching the K slowly disappear. It seems most K rides hang to where you always end up hitting the K.

Last edited:

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
View attachment 412475View attachment 412476
I bought this K Custom ride from a Mars Music store going out of business about 18 years ago. It has been the most consistent item on my kit and I've been watching the K slowly didisappear. It seems most K rides hang to where you always end up hitting to hit the K.
I sold one just like that earlier this year. The K was worn like this one. Just didn't fit the sound in my head anymore.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Here are my vintage cymbals with my approx. 1970 Rogers kit. Hi hats are from around 2000, so not quite vintage yet, but the left crash and ride are about late 60's/early 70's Zildjian A's, and the right crash is a 50's Zildjian A. Crashes are both 18's and the ride is a 20". Speed King is probably 70's, but I could never figure out how to date them, so it's just a guess. I used to have WFL Speed King so I know at least what decade that one came from. Snare is a '68 Acro, with a little rust on the hoops and a few wear marks/scratches on the sides.

IMG_20190506_213703975.jpg

Attachments

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Here's my 1920's Ludwig Brass, 6.5 x14, 8 lugger I use all the time. Someone ground the nickel plating off years ago and painted it. I stripped the paint and sanded it as smooth as I could a few years ago and have just let the thing patina out, put on some old COB triple flanges and a modern throw-off and butt. Lots of extra holes, but it is my favorite snare out probably 40 plus I own. It goes to every gig and everyone comments on how good it sounds.View attachment 412450View attachment 412451
Wow. That’s what I’m talking about!

Latest posts