header.nohb.html

Show Your Drum-Related Tattoo

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m really not a body adornment guy, so I don’t have any tats. That’s also partly due to the fact that I’m half cro-magnon and half missing link. So after “clearing” a patch for a tattoo; it would be covered over in less then a month.

Sometimes the old lady does some man sculpting artwork for me though…

BCD0D2E1-9239-4EB8-B53D-3EB81B505ADC.jpeg
249A1AA9-DD53-485A-AD55-6B25E7BE5092.jpeg
1D2F39E3-9300-4794-9B8B-96E143A1E37B.jpeg
F4C0C68A-0310-43AF-89CD-442A4484AE31.jpeg

Last edited:

44Ronin

Reaction score
The Professor who wrote that 2015 article should have done more research and referencing . Sorry to disappoint you but the FDA does in fact regulate the pigments that go into “ink” . It’s not the pigment that isn’t safe , it’s the back yard “tattooists” and the Shops that don’t practice sterilization and hygiene to stretch their profits and along with keeping the entire shop clean and booths sterile . In my state Shops are heavily regulated and everything in them . State Spot checks , the Red Cross comes in to test you for you’re annual Certifications etc. I’ve been up to the Spaulding factory in Upstate NY and they are cleaner then your average food processing plants by a standing mile . Also , not all states are created equal although most are getting better .
Might want to read what your FDA says....

"In addition to the reported adverse reactions, areas of concern include tattoo removal, infections that result from tattooing, and the increasing variety of pigments and diluents being used in tattooing. More than fifty different pigments and shades are in use, and the list continues to grow. Although a number of color additives are approved for use in cosmetics, none is approved for injection into the skin."

Source: https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosme... inks used,prevent consumer illness or injury.

On the factsheet Tattoos & Permanent Makeup: Quick Guide
It says quite clearly: FDA has not approved any inks for injection into your skin.

DBT

Reaction score
Might want to read what your FDA says....

"In addition to the reported adverse reactions, areas of concern include tattoo removal, infections that result from tattooing, and the increasing variety of pigments and diluents being used in tattooing. More than fifty different pigments and shades are in use, and the list continues to grow. Although a number of color additives are approved for use in cosmetics, none is approved for injection into the skin."

Source: https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosme... inks used,prevent consumer illness or injury.

On the factsheet Tattoos & Permanent Makeup: Quick Guide
It says quite clearly: FDA has not approved any inks for injection into your skin.
The ingredients / chemicals that are used to create the pigment are 100 % approved by the FDA . Where the FDA oversight stops is the bottling going out the door . There’s no need at that point to regulate it as the individual states that it’s produced in have the control and oversight . The few company’s that make it have been producing it forever . You make it out to be unsafe which is spreading a false narrative and completely untrue . The only time it’s unsafe is if some nit wit doesn't throw out the individual cups as a one time use and reuses it on other clients . Tattooing has come a very long way from the days before Sailor Jerry and NYC Underground . Want to know what a lot of Graphic Artists are going into fresh out of school these days ? Tattooing because there’s a lot more money in it for them . The industry as a whole has come light years away from the bad stigma and rap it got for a very long time . It’s snarky uneducated comments like yours that tries to keep it suppressed as some dirty thing that only unscrupulous people are involved in or get . You don’t want to participate fine don’t but keep that false …. to yourself .

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You never know what kind of toxic crap is in the ink
Given I’ve been a tattoo artist for over 15 years I know what exactly is in good quality tattoo ink. Part of my apprenticeship was making needles and ink.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The ingredients / chemicals that are used to create the pigment are 100 % approved by the FDA . Where the FDA oversight stops is the bottling going out the door . There’s no need at that point to regulate it as the individual states that it’s produced in have the control and oversight . The few company’s that make it have been producing it forever . You make it out to be unsafe which is spreading a false narrative and completely untrue . The only time it’s unsafe is if some nit wit doesn't throw out the individual cups as a one time use and reuses it on other clients . Tattooing has come a very long way from the days before Sailor Jerry and NYC Underground . Want to know what a lot of Graphic Artists are going into fresh out of school these days ? Tattooing because there’s a lot more money in it for them . The industry as a whole has come light years away from the bad stigma and rap it got for a very long time . It’s snarky uneducated comments like yours that tries to keep it suppressed as some dirty thing that only unscrupulous people are involved in or get . You don’t want to participate fine don’t but keep that false …. to yourself .
100$+ a hour for me. A lot of people spread misinformation on tattoos. We deal with blood. Everything is bagged. Machine, cord, power supply, chair etc. after the tattoo everything like the needle, ink cap, gloves, get thrown away needles disposed in a sharps container after being broke. We have to take blood born pathogens test and alot of other stuff to be able to tattoo with weekly inspections from the local health department. Now not all shops are clean environments but it’s very rare you find dirty shops anymore. And the people getting backyard tattoos usually more then likely end up at a shop later to get them fixed.

With that said people get tattoos for all kinds of reasons. I myself started getting them when I was 17 right T the start of apprenticing. I’ve let my kids tattoo me I’ve let friends tattoo me. Why because when I’m 80 I can look at it and remember the exact time I got it not matter how it looks. I have alot of good work and some that like I said were friends or my kids. If you don’t like tattoos cool don’t knock people who do. I also have big ole holes in my ears and at one time dreads to my waste.

DBT

Reaction score
100$+ a hour for me. A lot of people spread misinformation on tattoos. We deal with blood. Everything is bagged. Machine, cord, power supply, chair etc. after the tattoo everything like the needle, ink cap, gloves, get thrown away needles disposed in a sharps container after being broke. We have to take blood born pathogens test and alot of other stuff to be able to tattoo with weekly inspections from the local health department. Now not all shops are clean environments but it’s very rare you find dirty shops anymore. And the people getting backyard tattoos usually more then likely end up at a shop later to get them fixed.

With that said people get tattoos for all kinds of reasons. I myself started getting them when I was 17 right T the start of apprenticing. I’ve let my kids tattoo me I’ve let friends tattoo me. Why because when I’m 80 I can look at it and remember the exact time I got it not matter how it looks. I have alot of good work and some that like I said were friends or my kids. If you don’t like tattoos cool don’t knock people who do. I also have big ole holes in my ears and at one time dreads to my waste.
Somewhere on me I have a grasshopper drinking a bottle of Jack lol . The owner’s wife would come in find and confiscate our after hours bottles of Johnny Walker Blue . The owner looks at me and was like “ Danielson find a place where she won’t find it “ , I looked around and spotted an old sterilizer up on a top shelf and it fit perfect . She never did find any after that . All four of us drummers too . All trained by a Old time NY legend . They’d come over to my light board and reach over and crumple up perfect outlines and make me do them over and over . My apprenticeship was a beat down for a year before they gifted me my first machines . Good times .

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Somewhere on me I have a grasshopper drinking a bottle of Jack lol . The owner’s wife would come in find and confiscate our after hours bottles of Johnny Walker Blue . The owner looks at me and was like “ Danielson find a place where she won’t find it “ , I looked around and spotted an old sterilizer up on a top shelf and it fit perfect . She never did find any after that . All four of us drummers too . All trained by a Old time NY legend . They’d come over to my light board and reach over and crumple up perfect outlines and make me do them over and over . My apprenticeship was a beat down for a year before they gifted me my first machines . Good times .
O def I couldn’t even begin to tell ya how many roses I drew the first year. Needle making and ink making. I think the first two months of soldering needles they threw 90% of them away. I got my first machines a year after my start. Did my first tattoo on myself. Lol

Reactions: DBT

DBT

Reaction score
O def I couldn’t even begin to tell ya how many roses I drew the first year. Needle making and ink making. I think the first two months of soldering needles they threw 90% of them away. I got my first machines a year after my start. Did my first tattoo on myself. Lol
It’s a world unto itself . I’m the only one left.

Attachments

• 893BDB36-1DF3-4F7D-A4D8-A303565DE5C1.jpeg
    893BDB36-1DF3-4F7D-A4D8-A303565DE5C1.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 23

DBT

Reaction score
Given I’ve been a tattoo artist for over 15 years I know what exactly is in good quality tattoo ink. Part of my apprenticeship was making needles and ink.
See , there was a reason you were the first person I connected with on here .

Last edited:

44Ronin

Reaction score
It wasn't written plain enough for you. None of the "colour additives" are approved by the FDA to put in your skin. Not quite %100 approved.

But yeah it might be interesting to see, down the road, detailed research into the long term effects of stuff like lead, cadmium, cobalt, aluminium, mercury, chromium and so on, which are known agents to cause birth defects. Lead is toxic crap.

The research of tattoo toxicology is only in very early stages. There's no regulation forcing ink mfgs to disclose what's in their inks. Just think about that.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It wasn't written plain enough for you. None of the "colour additives" are approved by the FDA to put in your skin. Not quite %100 approved.

But yeah it might be interesting to see, down the road, detailed research into the long term effects of stuff like lead, cadmium, cobalt, aluminium, mercury, chromium and so on, which are known agents to cause birth defects. Lead is toxic crap.

The research of tattoo toxicology is only in very early stages. There's no regulation forcing ink mfgs to disclose what's in their inks. Just think about that.
Haven’t people been getting tattooed for thousand of years. If there were the “long term effects” you’re squawking about, surely we’d have some scholarship about the “down the road” impact sometime between 5,000 BC and now, right?

44Ronin

Reaction score
Haven’t people been getting tattooed for thousand of years. If there were the “long term effects” you’re squawking about, surely we’d have some scholarship about the “down the road” impact sometime between 5,000 BC and now, right?

Modern medicine is not very old in the scale of human history.
People were still bloodletting recently as 150 years ago..... do you expect such people to comprehend toxicity, let alone account for causation & correlation within a scientific method?

Even then, with tattoos there are obvious things like cadmium sulfide, a key component of yellows reacting to UV light in tattoos causing recurring allergic reactions for sufferers of such a condition, they get a reaction whenever the tattoo is exposed to sunlight. There's a long term effect of a trapped toxin.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Modern medicine is not very old in the scale of human history.
People were still bloodletting recently as 150 years ago..... do you expect such people to comprehend toxicity, let alone account for causation & correlation within a scientific method?

Even then, with tattoos there are obvious things like cadmium sulfide, a key component of yellows reacting to UV light in tattoos causing recurring allergic reactions for sufferers of such a condition, they get a reaction whenever the tattoo is exposed to sunlight. There's a long term effect of a trapped toxin.
Great point … I applaud your decision to de-escalate from birth defects to skin irritation for some allergy sufferers.

It’s also comforting to know that as the number of tattooed adults rises (to an estimated 30%), lifespans generally aren’t getting shorter.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised tatoos haven't made facial recognition technology irrelevant .

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a small scar on one of knuckles from ripping it open on a high-hat cymbal many years ago, does that count?
I took seven stitches in one of my fingers from concert band cymbals in the seventh grade. Screwing around of course. That counts as a tat in my book since it was 50 years ago and the scar is still very much visible.