Show your Vintage Guitars!!

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Strumdrum said:
Yamaha SA2000 on the left. It was good for my praise band gig for 2 years. Ace
(298).JPG
That Yamaha is a terrific guitar that was under appreciated for a long time. Try finding one for sale now. You have the bases covered with that array. You're knee deep in tradition with the sunburst strat and a gold top LP. Nice!
Recently added this Tele. Had a MIM Tele, and just love the fat frets on this American Pro. It has the selection button for the bridge pick-ups. I just need to learn to play. Ace
IMG_0957.JPG

hippychip

Reaction score
My first electric guitar---1974 Ovation Breadwinner---she was only 5 yrs old when my parents bought her for me for my 14th birthday (1979) One volume, one tone, 3-way selector, and phase switch---active torroidal wound pickups, solid Mahogany body/neck, ebony fretboard, bone nut, and a custom chrome pickguard completes the package---this old girl can handle anything from blues to metal, and do it with style!

strumdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those were quality instruments and did not garner the respect they deserved. BTW, nice quilt.

hippychip

Reaction score
Only the first year of production had the torroidal pups---they went to humbuckers in mid 1975---a rare piece of history that I will never sell---and my wife's grandma made the quilt :happy11: My first guitar is a 1976 Goya (martin group made in Korea), and I still have it as well!

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Bought this Yamaha Classical slightly used back in '69, from Jent's House of Music, in Lubbock, Texas. Back then, everyone commented on me playing it with a flat pick. It sounded good. Then Willie came along doing it big time. Ace
IMG_0992.JPG

hippychip

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this old girl qualifies as "vintage", and I can't find any info on when or where she was made---the headstock and neckplate say Harmony Est 1892---the previous owner sanded the body down to bare wood (it was red), and revealed a laminated body (19 layers alternating light and dark woods) The neck is flame maple with a maple fretboard. After a good cleaning and setup, some re-soldering, and a Graph-tech nut I added her to my arsenal of badasses!

strumdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's my guess: Harmony H804 from early 90's, Japanese built with a replacement Fender Strat type bridge. You might check out the pots to see if you can get date codes from them. Sorry, I can't help you with Japanese pot dating, I know nothing about those but imagine you can get some info with a search. BTW, replacing that bridge would have been a challenging bit of work as it has to be perfectly aligned in three planes (side to side for sting alignment, height and length (intonation range).

trappemann

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Olrocker said:
Not vintage but a cool guitar nonetheless...

2000 Terry C. McInturff Polaris
I have a Polaris Pro with a beautiful quilted Maple top.
I cannot get over how versatile that guitar really is.
It kills a whole bunch of the top three guitar makes guitars.
Hand wound original DiMarzio p'ups, which are wonderfully clear and sweet at the same time!
All of the 5 position switch positions are distinct and useable as well.
Best guitar under a grand I have ever held!

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys....Ok, so growing up in Chicago I have a love for Slingerlands, Ludwigs, and my accidental collection of Harmony gems. I'm also a signpainter/pinstriper, with a love of the decorative forms applied to the early parlor guitars. That being said, I'd like to show the steps involved in creating this latest fun piece. It's a 69' Harmony h162 (00-18 size), with 23k gold leaf, varnishes, and enamel. The pattern is based on a Harmony Supertone decal from the 30's....

20160401_142110.jpg20160401_142136.jpg20160401_165606.jpg20160401_205049.jpg20160402_081121.jpg

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
famousdave said:
Hi guys....Ok, so growing up in Chicago I have a love for Slingerlands, Ludwigs, and my accidental collection of Harmony gems. I'm also a signpainter/pinstriper, with a love of the decorative forms applied to the early parlor guitars. That being said, I'd like to show the steps involved in creating this latest fun piece. It's a 69' Harmony h162 (00-18 size), with 23k gold leaf, varnishes, and enamel. The pattern is based on a Harmony Supertone decal from the 30's....
Nice work. Was Harmony always a budget-oriented instrument company ? I became familiar with the brand name in the 70's .. as cheap, low-quality instruments, suitable for beginners. My first string instrument was a Harmony uke. Maybe their earlier output was better in overall quality ? I like that electric that you posted on the other thread.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
hippychip said:
My first electric guitar---1974 Ovation Breadwinner---she was only 5 yrs old when my parents bought her for me for my 14th birthday (1979) One volume, one tone, 3-way selector, and phase switch---active torroidal wound pickups, solid Mahogany body/neck, ebony fretboard, bone nut, and a custom chrome pickguard completes the package---this old girl can handle anything from blues to metal, and do it with style!
I remember those guitars ! Suddenly getting a flashback of a magazine ad with Steve Marriot endorsing this model.

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of Harmonys were sold through Sears under various names, but most of the pre 72' models are solid woods and highly underrated.....

miker

Reaction score
1941 Silvertone Artist with original (as far as I know) case.

IMG-20130414-00218.jpg

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Strumdrum said:
Yamaha SA2000 on the left. It was good for my praise band gig for 2 years. Ace
(298).JPG
That Yamaha is a terrific guitar that was under appreciated for a long time. Try finding one for sale now. You have the bases covered with that array. You're knee deep in tradition with the sunburst strat and a gold top LP. Nice!
Wow! Now SA2000 are on Ebay for around $1500.00.

exwag

Reaction score
Cool thread! I have several vintage guitars. Here is my favorite, a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Recording model. This is an oddball LP that Les himself played for the last 20-something years of his life. Low impedance pickups and lots of tone shaping control.

Attachments