Showing you guys first

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a song called "Nightmare Year" written by my 12 year old daughter. As you might imagine, it's about the year 2020. It's been really hard on the kids. She wrote the entire song herself and played all the music on the track herself except for the drums. The drums were done by me yesterday. She's got more musical ability in her left pinky than I do in my entire body.

We've been working on this for a while now. As much as these things are ever finished, I can't say that this one is...but I am really tired of working on it, lol. We'll probably still re-track a few things at some point, but she's writing other songs that we'll record too.

Enjoy!

Edit: Uploaded to YouTube on her own channel now.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice one! If I could only get my 12 y.o. dude off the stupid video games.....he does play guitar, bass, keys and trumpet....maybe a ska tune?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice one! If I could only get my 12 y.o. dude off the stupid video games.....he does play guitar, bass, keys and trumpet....maybe a ska tune?
That's her instruments too! She's got an All Region audition on trumpet this coming Saturday.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's wonderful! I'm hearing some definite Go-Go's influence in it.

:thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, very good and very poignant. This has indeed been a hard year on the youth and understandably so.

My cousin just sent out an appeal for videos of encouragement for his 13 year old daughter as she transitions into this new paradigm.

I think your daughter did an unbelievable job, please tell her so. Consider posting the lyrics, that is the real window right there. I also liked the guitar solo and it’s discordant progressions. It reminded me of the way Cobain would grab your attention.

Nice work in the drums also, perfectly done, supporting your daughters music without acting the fool.

The whole thing reminds me of a moment in time with one of my nephews, a good kid, I used to take him fishing, he never said much.

He moved away then came to visit after two or three years without seeing him. He had transformed into, I don’t know, a young Layne Stanley.

I told him I was going to band practice and asked if he wanted to come. At some point in time he said he had a song he wanted to play for us. Sure. Ten minutes later we had it worked out. My nephew on guitar and vocals, me on drums, our band leader recoding it and our bassist. This was the very first take. The world weighs heavy on a young teenagers shoulders even during the best of times.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work in the drums also, perfectly done, supporting your daughters music without acting the fool.
Thanks. That was the goal. This is her moment to shine, not mine.

I actually programmed the drums in Logic before I actually played them so that I could take the time to listen and make sure I wasn't stepping on lyrics and distracting from the song. That's been a helpful creative process for me. It helps me reject bad ideas, and I remember (more or less) the part better once I sit down at the kit.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the drums behind that. Nice call on the groove and textures. I also really like that guitar hook at the beginning. It's got a haunting kind of feel to it. Really memorable.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really cool. Kudos to both of you for recording a great sounding track. And her lyrics are really spot on about 2020. It's been enough all ready. Let's all hope 2021 is better.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That voice came from a 12 year old?!!!
NICE JOB!!!!

That's wonderful! I'm hearing some definite Go-Go's influence in it.

:thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup:
Given the subject nature of the song, I'd recommend less Go-Go's and more Danny Elfman. :thumbright: :laughing5:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That voice came from a 12 year old?!!!
NICE JOB!!!!
Like most people, and especially 12 year olds, she hated the sound of her own voice. I had to coax her a bit to just sing out.

Recording through a large diaphragm condenser (Audio Technica 4033) and a good interface (UAD Apollo x8p with UA-610-B preamp model) helps too. It's not all about gear, but man does it make a difference!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved that. She (and you) are awesome! I also really dig the melody and chord progressions. Really, great job. And I hear you about never thinking it’s done. I have 30 versions of mixes I’ve done on one tune and none are good enough in my little pea brain. Sometimes you just have to let it go for a while.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
This is really cool!

I love her voice and the song totally works.

That must have been really fun as a dad.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
That was great! I can't believe this is from a 12 year old. I hope she keeps pushing at it. Nice job on the drums too.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Tons of talent. A true budding songwriter and a great singer. Man I was lightyears away from that on my very first songs, even if I was a few years older. God job to you for guiding her into realizing her vision and actually make something with her ideas. Again, bravo to you two !!!