Shuffle

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much music are you listening to that actually shuffles like you want to play? Learning to play like Bernard Purdie is admirable but listening and playing grooving tunes and becoming a fan is a shortcut you shouldn't avoid.

FWIW, a lot of Hammond Organ Jazz is heavy into the mid tempo shuffles. So if you google "Hammond Heroes", "Acid Jazz", Charles Earland, Jimmy McGriff, Groove Holmes, Dr Lonnie Smith, Shirley Scott and a zillion other great organists, you will find a ton of great songs to play along. (and guess who's the drummer on so many of their records!)

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much music are you listening to that actually shuffles like you want to play? Learning to play like Bernard Purdie is admirable but listening and playing grooving tunes and becoming a fan is a shortcut you shouldn't avoid.

FWIW, a lot of Hammond Organ Jazz is heavy into the mid tempo shuffles. So if you google "Hammond Heroes", "Acid Jazz", Charles Earland, Jimmy McGriff, Groove Holmes, Dr Lonnie Smith, Shirley Scott and a zillion other great organists, you will find a ton of great songs to play along. (and guess who's the drummer on so many of their records!)

I just want to do it and I am now. A couple of them actually and they sound... yeah, ok not great but ok but that's progress.

Got the techs down, working the groove in.

I'm leaning toward rock, pop, some blues maybe and I can't imagine skills like this will hurt me in the long run so I'm working on them.

That's what it's all aboot (if you're Canadian - hah!)

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just want to do it and I am now. A couple of them actually and they sound... yeah, ok not great but ok but that's progress.

Got the techs down, working the groove in.

I'm leaning toward rock, pop, some blues maybe and I can't imagine skills like this will hurt me in the long run so I'm working on them.

That's what it's all aboot (if you're Canadian - hah!)
When you think you’re ready, you can try playing along with this up-tempo shuffle: “Organ Grinder’s Swing“ with Jimmy Smith, Kenny Burrell and Grady Tate on drums. A fun play-along and one of the hardest swinging shuffles you’ll ever hear.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m the last person to be giving drum lessons. But here’s my thoughts ...

What makes a shuffle work is swung triplets. I you were to play the shuffles written out above they would sound like crap. Put them as is in a drum machine and you can confirm this.

What I‘m hearing in the Killer Joe and Organ Grinder’s Swing is the heavy swing feel and not a shuffle at all to my ears. So to help learn that swing I would suggest playing the ride cymbal pattern (dotted eight and a 16th) with one hand and the same pattern on your snare with straight 1/4 notes on the kick and 2&4 on the hats. Once you get comfortable there move to 2&4 on the snare.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m the last person to be giving drum lessons. But here’s my thoughts ...

What makes a shuffle work is swung triplets. I you were to play the shuffles written out above they would sound like crap. Put them as is in a drum machine and you can confirm this.

What I‘m hearing in the Killer Joe and Organ Grinder’s Swing is the heavy swing feel and not a shuffle at all to my ears. So to help learn that swing I would suggest playing the ride cymbal pattern (dotted eight and a 16th) with one hand and the same pattern on your snare with straight 1/4 notes on the kick and 2&4 on the hats. Once you get comfortable there move to 2&4 on the snare.
And I think you're right, I could tell that I had all the mechanics down but it sounded like crap - drum machine like you said and I've been actually looking at trying triplets on the cymbal thinking it was a groove that I wasn't understanding.