Sib Hashian's Boston Tour Drums Up for Auction TODAY -- Let Me Take Ludwigs Home Tonight!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
From Forbes magazine:

The proceeds from the sale of the 46 lots on offer at RR Auction on November 7th will benefit the Sib Hashian Scholarship Fund, which supports music and arts programs in public schools. The items represent the music-related portion of his collection; other items, such as his art and baseball cards, will appear in other sales. Still others may never come to light, since, Suzanne says, they gave some to the “kids”. FYI- One of those kids (by marriage) is named “The Rock”- no, he was not named after Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, he is Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

The top lot in the sale is the silver sparkle Ludwig drum kit which Hashian played exclusively on his first two tours with Boston.
Sib.jpg

Links to the auction are in the article. Happy bidding!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I vividly remember this set from the inner gatefold of the "Don't Look Back Album." This was one of the first drum sets I recall seeing with boom stands. I went out and bought the same Ludwig stands because I thought they were so cool. They weren't very good for larger/heavier cymbals and I got rid of them fairly quickly after one tipped over and gouged the wall in my practice room.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sib played more than one silver sparkle Ludwig kit while with Boston or at least he added and replaced some drums as time went on. First he played the two up, two down configuration as shown in the auction. I believe it was 13' , 14", 16" and 16"? with 22" bass drum. Later he played a two up , two down with double bass drums. The rack toms were bigger on this kit. They look to be 14" and 15" at least at one point. All of the drums had the bottom head removed and were clear interior three ply drums. All pictures I have seen he is playing an LM602, not the Rock Concert model pictured in the auction.

In my opinion, based on all of the pictures I have looked at online and of the auction showing muffler and badge locations which don't match and the uneven fade of the auction drums I would say this is perhaps part of that first kit and either parts from the second kit or some drums added to complete this kit so it could be displayed. In my opinion the bass and first floor tom are the drums that are most likely to be from the first kit. It is also possible that the rack toms were rewrapped at some point and the badges and mufflers were relocated for some reason.

Last edited:

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The kit in action. I see he played them with the heads off on all the toms.

Is it just me or does Sib resemble Don Brewer from GFR?
And when he used a second kick. He had it set up different, off to the side of the kit.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Sib played more than one silver sparkle Ludwig kit while with Boston or at least he added and replaced some drums as time went on. First he played the two up, two down configuration as shown in the auction. I believe it was 13' , 14", 16" and 16"? with 22" bass drum. Later he played a two up , two down with double bass drums. The rack toms were bigger on this kit. They look to be 14" and 15" at least at one point. All of the drums had the bottom head removed and were clear interior three ply drums. All pictures I have seen he is playing an LM602, not the Rock Concert model pictured in the auction.

In my opinion, based on all of the pictures I have looked at online and of the auction showing muffler and badge locations which don't match and the uneven fade of the auction drums I would say this is perhaps part of that first kit and either parts from the second kit or some drums added to complete this kit so it could be displayed. In my opinion the bass and first floor tom are the drums that are most likely to be from the first kit. It is also possible that the rack toms were rewrapped at some point and the badges and mufflers were relocated for some reason.
Didn't Sib Hashian play a set of Pro Beats?
13/14/16/18/24
I always figured that's what he used. :dontknow:

(page courtesy Vintage Drum Guide)

Elvis

Last edited:

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That baseball collection is amazing. I can’t believe that his family is giving those away to charity. That Babe Ruth card could put quite a down payment on a house alone.

Didn’t he die on stage playing with a cover band?

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those are great pictures. I played one set of his at Barry's house and they were just as Elvis said, 13.14.16.18...24 kick. Tensioned low with a good amount of tape. I have no idea weather that set went out on the tours or not. As always Tom called the shots...so single headed, which worked fine for that style of playing. These were the days when you owned one set of drums and that's it, so its probably the same kit....almost always a 6 1/2" Supra.

Notice the old Atlas booms and 57's that are shown above. This was around 76 or so. By the time Curly took over they were using triggers on the 3rd album, Third Stage, which I thought sucked.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Didn't Sib Hashian play a set of Pro Beats?
13/14/16/18/24
I always figured that's what he used. :dontknow:

(page courtesy Vintage Drum Guide)

Elvis
Could very well be. It is hard to tell what the size of the bass drum is and none of the pictures I could find clearly showed the second floor tom. The bass drum looks smaller than a 24" but that just my observation. It is hard to tell the size of the second floor tom in the auction photos.

I think it is very likely that the rack toms were lost or otherwise damaged and replaced with different drums at some point. None of the badges or mufflers are in the same locations as they are in the old photos.

The stands certainly look the part other than the snare stand which looks like a newer Pearl and the upper part of Hercules straight stand doesn't show up in any pictures. He always played a Ludwig lm402 snare. The cymbals? Who knows. I couldn't find any pictures that show that he played an old Tama hihat but based on one picture the cymbal seat didn't look like it was a Ludwig and matches the Tama.

He played a double bass setup for at least part of the Don't Look Back tour that probably was the same kit with a few add ons.

It appears that he was using the other Ludwig boom stand or even the same one as in the auction with his last kit that was setup at his house.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
His far right crash is on a Hercules stand with the huge tilter so that checks out.

The rack toms are 14" and 15".