Sick and tired of over-engineered hardware!!

goodcat1337

Reaction score
In defense of us engineering types- these examples are over-sized, over-weight, and sometimes over-featured, but not over engineered! More/better engineering should reduce these problems! And if you aren't hip to what I do at INDe- I try to make the polar opposite of this stuff (with an abundance of thought, design and yes, engineering!)
And you're one of the few that actually gets it right.

T-2

Reaction score
I can kinda handle that some bass drum pedals and hi hat stands are now uber adjustable in an almost comedic way, but the chunky floor tom legs leave me scratching my head. I love the thin old Ludwig floor tom legs.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Mapex Saturn III's are quite heavy drums. Lots of extra metal on them to eliminate mounting points and holes on the drums. They sound good, but not a fun kit to lug around.

Also I have a Pearl BC2030 cymbal stand. 15+ pounds for that sucker. Not taking that on a gig any time soon.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1. I've always thought that thing was hilarious.
2. I'd bet it accounts for 1/2 the cost of the drum.
sad truth, it’s not even made in Germany. By 1994 the metal works and chrome baths were shutdown under KHS with strict new environmental laws.

The old world Link philosophy was “all in house” with few parts being outsourced. The KHS model was the International Design Team multinational approach. Metal bits from Asia and maple from North America; while dropping a beech shell option altogether.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I schlep my own gear, I want as light weight as possible, mostly DW ultra lightweight. But when I do shows where my gear is moved by IA stage hands, I take heavy duty (Sonor) stuff as the light weight stands would get trashed and bent.

Hey ... some people need a sports car and some need a pickup. That's why they make both. :)

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get long with my dw cymbal and hat stands just fine . I like it rock solid no chance of anything moving.
When I have a lite elevator music gig I’ll take my vintage Ludwig flat based stands just cause nothing crazy is going to happen on stage except maybe a drunk mom wanting to sing a song!

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would tend to agree here. My stands have survived decades of abuse (tossed into trap cases / soft bags) and thousands of gigs without a hitch. Keeping on top of your hardware is important, too. Make sure your roll pins are secure, screws are tight, and mating surfaces are clean.

F
Mine too! All of my Dw9000 hardware is over 20 years old and other than scratched chrome from throwing them in hardware case, everything functions perfectly and I have never replaced so much as a cymbal felt. I made need back surgery from 20 years of lifting it in my vehicle but that is another story for another day... Lol

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
So we are all familiar with the tom mounts, etc put out by the major drum makers these days. Many of us also either fondly remember or still use some of the better vintage hardware.

Really, I'm thinking of the Rogers tom mounts. Why the heck can't the drum companies take a simple design like that and simply IMPROVE IT, rather than giving us 1" diameter tubes connecting all the toms to the bass drum and cymbal stands.

DW's over-sized and weighty hardware is the worst offender. Seriously, a 1/2" thick steel rod (or even less) is not going to bend under the weight of a couple of toms.

I own and like the Yamaha tom mount tree, but even that could be made much thinner and smaller and STILL be as rugged and sturdy as it is now.

End of rant....
“DW's over-sized and weighty hardware is the worst offender.”

Sonor!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
sad truth, it’s not even made in Germany. By 1994 the metal works and chrome baths were shutdown under KHS with strict new environmental laws.

The old world Link philosophy was “all in house” with few parts being outsourced. The KHS model was the International Design Team multinational approach. Metal bits from Asia and maple from North America; while dropping a beech shell option altogether.
A friend of mine used to own a 6 piece Sonor Designer kit with that chrome breast plate on the bass drum, square sized toms, beach shells and African Bubinga veneer inside and out. Heaviest, loudest drums I’ve ever played. And, the matching snare drum was a weapon.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Mapex Saturn III's are quite heavy drums. Lots of extra metal on them to eliminate mounting points and holes on the drums. They sound good, but not a fun kit to lug around.

Also I have a Pearl BC2030 cymbal stand. 15+ pounds for that sucker. Not taking that on a gig any time soon.
I had a Tama snare stand that weighed 11 pounds. Serious overkill.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Absolutely onboard.
I realized a long time ago that single braced cymbal stands just work. Don't need the heft of their double-cousins.
I switched years and years ago to vintage hardware when I began playing only vintage kits.
Now that I moved my vintage stuff out and brought in a few customs and one-offs, I found Tama's new old school classic flatbase line.
That stuff is great.
I especially love the hihat stand.
I tend to use vintage stands for my toms.
I even like the bass pedal.

View attachment 518839
I own a few sets. I would not consider buying anything else.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we are all familiar with the tom mounts, etc put out by the major drum makers these days. Many of us also either fondly remember or still use some of the better vintage hardware.

Really, I'm thinking of the Rogers tom mounts. Why the heck can't the drum companies take a simple design like that and simply IMPROVE IT, rather than giving us 1" diameter tubes connecting all the toms to the bass drum and cymbal stands.

DW's over-sized and weighty hardware is the worst offender. Seriously, a 1/2" thick steel rod (or even less) is not going to bend under the weight of a couple of toms.

I own and like the Yamaha tom mount tree, but even that could be made much thinner and smaller and STILL be as rugged and sturdy as it is now.

End of rant....
I'm a big fan of the old Rogers Swivomatic hardware; easy to loosen/tighten and lubricate and and it holds the tom tight ; Mr. Ringo Starr, Mr. John Bonham and Mr. Ginger Baker can't be wrong and it worked well for them....
I did use the Ludwig single tom holder 9.5 mm LR255STH and it was fine for a while but that 1" tube makes it look ungainly .... I am surprised that none of the other companies went to something similar to the Rogers Swivomatic hardware..[perhaps copyright issues?

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I went DW 6000 flat base well over 10 years ago. Really sturdy for me, even with 22" and 24" cymbals.
The tom/snare stand has a Gibraltar Ultra Adjust basket in the DW base.
I have DW medium weight stands that I don't even think about using anymore--after I sold the heavy stuff.

I went with the 6000 because it's light, very sturdy, has memory locks (I need), and the tilter is great.
It's also robust enough to not get screwed up by stage hands.
The 6000 hi hat is really nice, and sturdy AFTER I changed out the stupid spiked feet that come on it. THAT is one over thought item that screwed the whole thing up IMO. Wobble city WITH those feet, real sturdy without.

That said, the Tama Classic stuff is fantastic. Really light and REALLY sturdy.
The hi hat stand is especially magnificent. Comfortable, responsive, and even under heavier playing, it's as sturdy (to me) as a lot heavier stand would be.
Great adjustment features on it too.
I got the Tama stuff for one particular band where only I move the gear.